[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Getting Direct TV installed today

Scooby's Hubby

Any tips I need to know about the install process? We have cable now. What I was wondering is what the install guys have to do other than hook up the satellite.

Depends onwhich rooms are already wired. My house was built in 1942 so everytime a room other than the lviing room needs coax it has to be run. Newer homes probably not so much.

If there is only one phone line into your house, make sure the put a splitter on it or something. Time Warner came out for my internet and took over all of the phone lines for the TV without telling me. Make sure your internet provider and DirecTV aren't fighting over phone wire. You can always call DirecTV to have the pron and payperview activated that wat too.

I've been with DirecTV since 1999ish. Have not made the conversion to HD yet. I love DirecTV but I've known a few folks withHD who hated DirecTV and plenty who have been just fine with it.

About an hour and a half to run wire and hook up my daughter's beedroom.

so if I already have coax running into all the rooms there won't be much to it? my internet is also through cable coax and is wireless... I am not going to hook up a phone line to the receivers, from what I understand that just means I won't get paperview, which is fine with me. What are these guys gonna do with the antenna and are they going to drill into my roof? What should I know or request that they do?

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

so if I already have coax running into all the rooms there won't be much to it? my internet is also through cable coax and is wireless... I am not going to hook up a phone line to the receivers, from what I understand that just means I won't get paperview, which is fine with me. What are these guys gonna do with the antenna and are they going to drill into my roof? What should I know or request that they do?

You need a good shot into the Southern skies. Mine's bolted to the roof. They'll run a coax from there to your main splitter box. You'd think that would be it but again, I know nothing about HD. In my old apartment, dude took a home depot bucket out of his truck, poursed some concrete in it, stuck a yard long metal pole in the concrete and bolted the satellite to the pole.

I'd think it would be over quick in your case. They will take a quick minute or two showing you some features and answering any questions and making sure it works.

They even hooked everything up in the daughter's room to make sure it worked, then unhooked everything, put it back in the boxes and slid the dresser in front of the outlet on the wall for my wife so my daughter wouldn't be tipped off about her birthday present. DirecTv has always been top notch for me.

Antenna removal is your problem.

Edited by Clubfoothead

For HD you need 2 coax cables. For DVR 2 cables is also recommended but not required, if you want to watch the same thing you are recording you only need 1 or if you are recording while not home or asleep. The installer will try and take the easy way out when running additional cables, they drilled through the siding into our family room and when you look from the outside the cable is right there a few feet off the ground going into the house.

T-Bone65 is in my opinion somewhat on point about the installation process. If you're looking for HD (not sure why anyone wouldn't be) I only required one cable (with an HD DVR box), and with only one cable I can record using my DVR, but I can't watch another channel while at the same time recording a show. This stinks obviously, but at least you can tape shows while you're gone or late night after you've gone to bed. If you want full capabilities with your DVR, you need to run two cables to the box. You'll also need to be wired in every room from what I understand - I could be wrong, but I don't think that you can use splitters with DirecTV like you can with Comcast and Verizon. I know this isn't the case with anyone in my building.

DirecTV is fine for me now, but it took 2 months worth of terrible customer service and the WORST installation professionals I've ever seen. Moving from FIOS (my new condo can't accept Comcast or FIOS yet) I have to say that both Comcast and Verizon customer service is hands down much better than DirecTV. Now onto the installation process... I was told three times (after three visits) that my condo wasn't wired properly and I couldn't get my DVR to work. After heading to the back of my building MYSELF, I got my DVR to work and got cable to work in a room where the tech couldn't. A manager from DirecTV finally called us back and credited us with a month of free service, but this barely makes up for the hours of work I had to take off while morons gave me every excuse in the book why I couldn't use certain feature. Also, no matter how well it's bolted down, during high winds and hard rain I always lose my signal. Obviously, this isn't what I want when I want to watch TV on a rainy day....

It goes without saying that I'll be going back to Comcast or FIOS when it's available to me. There are just too many downsides to DirecTV for me to justify having it over the hassle-free service I experienced with other providers. Also, having to call another number with high-speed internet questions is just the pits....

Best of luck.

don't worry, one screw up and I will kick these guys outta herre and cancel the whole enchilada (dang I'm hungry). I am doing some DVR plan where, supposedly I can record in one room and watch the recording in another room. Also, HD for sure.

What I am starting to get worried about is that my internet is cable with another company and all these signals are gonna get tangled up and be less quality and less signal strength :wacko:

Nice Scooby....keep an eye on them. Press them if they say that anything won't work with your current setup. If the tech leaves and doesn't resolve things, don't expect that the next guy will be able to....you'll be on the phone for hours!

Their internet service (mine was separately through Verizon DSL) is sub par at best. The speed isn't even close to FIOS and still slower than Comcast. That said, it's fine for everyday surfing and the signal strength seems to be fine no matter where I am around the house. It's amazing that one tech can't come out to service both cable and internet if you're experiencing issues, but you know what you're getting into when you sign up.

I'm looking forward to the NFL package on Sunday though!

Best,

J

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but you can get PPV without a phone line... You just have to order the PPV online, as opposed to being able to do it through your TV. We do it all the time... UFC, movies, etc.

As I told you I would, I have canceled my order. The install guy called and said he would be here this morning. At 2 pm I called him back only to hear him tell me he did not have the equipment. I called the local dealer here and re-newed my order. He said he would have a guy here in an hour. I called the previous installer back to tell him to piss off, I got his voicemail. It is never easy over here.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

I feel sorry for Scooby if getting DirectV is more exciting than her hubby. :tup:

yeah, yeah, yeah :wacko: ...

she is excited, though, for the football features of NFL Ticket. She wants to input her fantasy players in the scoring tracker, or whatever it is. All of this was one of our anniversary gifts to each other and Direct TV is trying to screw it up. Not to mention football starts back up tomorrow. I should have gone to the local dealer in the first place. :tup:

Not sure about the service for others, but mine has been outstanding in my almost 10 years of being with them. They'll run a dual coax to a multi-switch. I have my internet through Charter and have that line direct to my modem. This is how it should be done. then you'll have lines form the multiswitch to the different rooms in your house. Typically they'll just run it through your floor, but I redid mine so they are through wall plates. Your feature for recording in one room and watching in another costs $3/month, but you need the DVR in each room to do this. Getting them connected is another issue, but I do not know how DirecTv does this as I ran my own cat6e cable.

I've been very happy with DirecTv over the past 9+ years.

(Knock on wood.)

Just got off the phone with direct TV and they tell me that the installation of the pin hole cameras in your bedroom and bathroom are common. No need to worry, just make sure you turn them on.

I didn't know you wanted to see Scooby's Hubby nekked. :wacko:

Just got off the phone with direct TV and they tell me that the installation of the pin hole cameras in your bedroom and bathroom are common. No need to worry, just make sure you turn them on.

I didn't know you wanted to see Scooby's Hubby nekked. :wacko:

freak