[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

illinois teachers pension

dmarc117

Why/how did mandatory pension contributions become part of the state constitution? What is the reasoning behind it?

To my understanding it was mandated in the early 70's. Dmarc will blame unions :wacko: and maybe you will too. Fact is it is in the constitution. I'm not sure, but I believe most states have it.

Underfunding and taking money out by our fund by elected officials goes back over 20 years. this i would need to look up and validate, seems like opinion.

Not opinion, but a statement that came in an Annuitant's Newsletter (from a few years ago). Everything else in the news letter was correct, so I didn't doubt it. Prove it wrong w/ a reasonable source. :tup: Disprove anything else as you please. My students wouldn't have asked for the answers, they would have found them, as that is they way I taught.

Plus I remember "talk" back in the late 80's about it, but it was so solid no one paid much attention.

To my understanding it was mandated in the early 70's. Dmarc will blame unions :tup: and maybe you will too. Fact is it is in the constitution. I'm not sure, but I believe most states have it.

Not :tup: at all. It just seems odd that a state would take that kind of lengths to create a pension program, like include it in a state constitution. Then again, the 70's really were the heyday of Union strength and lobbying power . . . :wacko:

I wonder if any other state has it written in its constitution? It just seems very "un-constitution-like" to write in something like that . . . I would love to know the reason WHY it was included.

To my understanding it was mandated in the early 70's. Dmarc will blame unions :wacko: and maybe you will too. Fact is it is in the constitution. I'm not sure, but I believe most states have it.

Not opinion, but a statement that came in an Annuitant's Newsletter (from a few years ago). Everything else in the news letter was correct, so I didn't doubt it. Prove it wrong w/ a reasonable source. :tup: Disprove anything else as you please. My students wouldn't have asked for the answers, they would have found them, as that is they way I taught.

Plus I remember "talk" back in the late 80's about it, but it was so solid no one paid much attention.

umm, you told me not to look it up.....

Answer my previous questions and/or at least answer this w/o googling it:

:tup:

lets keep rewarding this.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/education/274...-educ24.article

Illinois deserves a "D" for the education it provides in kindergarten through high school, a "C" for the job it does in college and an "incomplete'' for its early childhood work, Democrat William Daley and Republican Jim Edgar agree.

As long as you're more interested in bashing unions than placing the blame where it really lies - on lazy stupid parents and lazy stupid students, nothing is going to improve. I don't think either teachers or unions are blameless but the whole US education problem has much more to do with parents and students than anything else.

As long as you're more interested in bashing unions than placing the blame where it really lies - on lazy stupid parents and lazy stupid students, nothing is going to improve. I don't think either teachers or unions are blameless but the whole US education problem has much more to do with parents and students than anything else.

agree 100%. it starts with the parents. the students not so much in the younger years. and ends with the teachers. all 3 should get an F.

agree 100%. it starts with the parents. the students not so much in the younger years. and ends with the teachers. all 3 should get an F.

So we can agree that in large measure this is an insoluble problem. We are going to devolve into two streams - the motivated and interested supported by good parents on the one hand, the lazy and stupid brigade on the other. In order to maximize the numbers of the former, we need to Josh Gordon out the latter. Right now we allow the latter to drown the former, dragging them down by making learning difficult.

A policy of "if you don't want to learn, get out" would serve the nation better. Build sink schools and dump the troublemakers and other rubbish into them, allowing the rest to learn. Far too much effort is expended on the bottom and the top is suffering for it.

So we can agree that in large measure this is an insoluble problem. We are going to devolve into two streams - the motivated and interested supported by good parents on the one hand, the lazy and stupid brigade on the other. In order to maximize the numbers of the former, we need to Josh Gordon out the latter. Right now we allow the latter to drown the former, dragging them down by making learning difficult.

A policy of "if you don't want to learn, get out" would serve the nation better. Build sink schools and dump the troublemakers and other rubbish into them, allowing the rest to learn. Far too much effort is expended on the bottom and the top is suffering for it.

which leads us to my argument for all of society. reward the responsible and do not reward the lazy and irresponsible. i just want people to be responsible for their actions and life. everyone should be held accountable. everyone.

which leads us to my argument for all of society. reward the responsible and do not reward the lazy and irresponsible. i just want people to be responsible for their actions and life. everyone should be held accountable. everyone.

Illinois is basically Canada....no personal responsibilty there at all.

Yep. Let's keep rewarding the Nakisha's of this world with money as she pops out her 5th kid with not knowing who the father's of the first four even are.

Here's the history http://trs.illinois.gov/subsections/general/history.pdf