[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Clash

skylive5

Easily Guns of Brixton for me but I could go with any number of others of London's Calling.

And I guess I just don't think of them as Punk. Just like I don't think of the early years of Elvis Costello as "his punk years".

Well, I could be wrong. I mean, I didn't know I had placed The Rolling Stones in the wrong category until I was told different here.

Easily Guns of Brixton for me but I could go with any number of others of London's Calling.

And I guess I just don't think of them as Punk. Just like I don't think of the early years of Elvis Costello as "his punk years".

They aren't punk, especially if you ask a hardcore punk fan. They were actually despised in that scene and considered a bunch of sellouts. To me they were just a good pop-rock band.

Well, I could be wrong. I mean, I didn't know I had placed The Rolling Stones in the wrong category until I was told different here.

You're certainly not the first to put them in that category. And, hell, if early Elvis C is punk, The Clash is hardcore. I mean, seriously, Allison is on Elvis' first album. It doesn't get much earlier or less punk than that.

You're certainly not the first to put them in that category. And, hell, if early Elvis C is punk, The Clash is hardcore. I mean, seriously, Allison is on Elvis' first album. It doesn't get much earlier or less punk than that.

That's fair. :wacko:

However, for clarification of my many different views, I have started a help me thread.

where is this thread?

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?show...25&start=25

Post #48 is where the person that owns more music that you, I, and two of our closest friends plus knows more about music than God determined that the Stones were a Folk music group....they don't qualify as a rock group.

Thought you got the memo on that.

Edited by skylive5

London Calling

+1 and yeah, they weren't quite punk at this point but they weren't pop yet either.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about other bands and other genres, just trying to do only one a day so that we can stretch this out a bit.

Edited by Kid Cid

+1 and yeah, they weren't quite punk at this point but they weren't pop yet either.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about other bands and other genres, just trying to do only one a day so that we can stretch this out a bit.

Geeze Kid. There must be a thousand or two genres and at least two or three gazillion bands. Stretching it out? :oldrazz:

Geeze Kid. There must be a thousand or two genres and at least two or three gazillion bands. Stretching it out? :oldrazz:

Things have been boring in the Tailgate for a while. This way we're guaranteed at least one non-political thread every day. I designate you my surrogate in the event a thread hasn't been started by noon. You probably know more about music than 2/3 of this crowd put together.

Things have been boring in the Tailgate for a while. This way we're guaranteed at least one non-political thread every day. I designate you my surrogate in the event a thread hasn't been started by noon. You probably know more about music than 2/3 of this crowd put together.

Thank you.

I will do my best to start interesting people.

Punk they absolutely were without a shadow of a doubt. Check out the live performances on Rude Boy. They developed their music later and were always big-time reggae aficionados but their first album, alongside the Pistols first album, is as punk as it gets.

They aren't punk, especially if you ask a hardcore punk fan. They were actually despised in that scene and considered a bunch of sellouts. To me they were just a good pop-rock band.

I saw them live in a concrete cellar venue in England in 1978, as close to the stage as I am to this computer screen. To say they weren't punk is just ridiculous. And I have more punk albums and radio ripoffs than anyone else I know, still playing them today over 30 years later.

As far as the sellout thing goes, that could apply to any band that develops musically as The Clash did - the early fans always feel "betrayed", whatever that means.