[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

good article about "social conservatives"

Azazello1313

As I recall, all Cheney would say about gay rights was that it was "an issue for the states." Can somebody show me where he actually came out and said (prior to the 2004 election) that he was of the opinion that gays should enjoy all the rights and privileges of other americans?

This is as close as I could find. From the 2000 VP debate with Lieberman:

Sounds like a "punt" to me.

you don't seem to have looked very hard. does this sound like a punt?

"We live in a free society, and freedom means freedom for everybody. We shouldn’t be able to choose and say you get to live free and you don’t. That means people should be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to enter into. It’s no one’s business in terms of regulating behavior in that regard. The next step then, of course, is the question you ask of whether or not there ought to be some kind of official sanction of the relationships or if they should be treated the same as a traditional marriage. … I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions, and that’s appropriate. … We ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into."

ok, I'll pick on this a bit too. in a moral sense, I can kind of see your point. I see it as a good deed in many ways to forego abortion in favor of adoption. but should there a government fiat mandating it? come on, mr. "get the government nannies off my back". if that's the justification, you may as well have a law that you must clean your plate because there's starving kids in africa.

As I have said, this is an issue I think better reserved for the states than the federal government. I don't think it ever should have become a federal issue. Also as I've said it ranks about #50 on my list of things I look for in a candidate, or find of importance in the political spectrum. I have my opinions, and they are my opinions, and I've told you why I hold those opinions. I do not want all abortion outlawed, but I would like to see it outlawed on the state level as a means of birth control. Again just my opinion. If there was a state referendum to outlaw abortion as a means of birth control, I'd vote for it. If there was a state referendum to vote to outlaw all abortions, I'd vote against it.

That's nice rhetoric, but the substance belies the sentiment. A right cannot be both "fundamental" and "an issue for the states."

oh gimme a friggin break. he takes the strongest, most unequivocal stand in favor of gay marriage of any national candidate ever, as the #2 on a ticket no less, and you're crapping on him for being wishy washy? lame. and saying it's a state right is saying he's opposed to the defense of marriage act and the stated policy of his boss. he's saying HE thinks people should have the right, but that the federal government shouldn't be dictating it. which happens to be exactly how I feel about that and many other issues. there is nothing wishy washy about it, unless you're completely locked in to some federal government as moral arbiter uber alles mentality.

Perch doesn't like abortion because he is a moral conservative. He is all for personal freedoms, until he isn't .

Go back down to your mothers basement and play some video games. Leave the real discussions to those capable of understanding them. I view killing a living being as bad. I can see doing it in some instances where the mother's health is at stake, or even if the child has a low probability of a quality life based on medical issues that can not be rectified. I do find it morally objectionable to kill a living being as a means of birth control. Just as I would find shooting you in your mom's basement objectionable. I'm not for unlimited personal freedoms when those freedoms infringe on those of others. Still having said all that, like I've said many times this is not an issue anywhere near the top of the list of issues I feel needs to be addressed at this point, other than rectifying Obamacare which has a loophole in it that allows federal dollars to pay for elective abortions.