[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auto Repair Question

Footballjoe

2004 Nissan Sentra. 4 cyc.

The AC is not working. There only appears to be 1 belt and that is good. That's all I had time to check. Could there be a fuse? I guess I need to check to see if the compressor kicks in. Anything else? Thanks

Check for leaks? Recharge?

This may be an very ignorant question but I will ask it anyhow. When doing a wheel alignment nowadays does the mechanic have to go under the hood for any reason? The reason I ask is that my wife says the AC was working very well until we got it back from the Firestone Shop. I am just wondering if they could have knocked something loose or had to unplug something to get computer readings and perhaps forgot to plug it back in. If this is an idiot question then all I can say is :wacko:

This may be an very ignorant question but I will ask it anyhow. When doing a wheel alignment nowadays does the mechanic have to go under the hood for any reason? The reason I ask is that my wife says the AC was working very well until we got it back from the Firestone Shop. I am just wondering if they could have knocked something loose or had to unplug something to get computer readings and perhaps forgot to plug it back in. If this is an idiot question then all I can say is :wacko:

not on a Nissan Sentra

There is no onboard diagnostics that need to be done for a wheel alignment.

I had a little time today to look at it after I changed the brake shoes. I could not tell for sure what relay went to AC but all of them had duplicates but one so I switched them around. Could be that on that I can't switch with another. The relay cover is not marked but the relays have numbers on them but not sure how to tell what they go to. They appear to be circuit type number i.e. 1-2-4-5-7 something like that. The fuse cover is marked and I switch around the fan fuses.

I did notice that neither of the (2) radiator coolant fans ever came on. I ran the car with the AC on and the heat but they never came on. Also does not seem like the compressor is kicking in. Usually when you cut on the AC you hear it come on and the engine sounds different but nothing appears to happening when turning the AC on. How long would the car usually have to run before they kick in? Is in the low 70's here today.

bump

Fire up the car, run the AC. Does the compressor pulley turn, and then cut right back off? Probably a coolant/freon issue. If the compressor doesn't run at all (or even attempt to) then it's probably an electrical issue of some kind.

If you get the run/quick shutoff then try adding some freon with oil charge and leak detector. Go from there.