[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

FF Head Coach Controversy

DubGeek

25+ point Win Margin +10

20-24 point Win Margin +8

15-19 point Win Margin +6

10-14 point Win Margin +4

5-9 point Win Margin +2

1-4 point Win Margin +1

(and vice versa if the coach loses)

This past weekend in my FF league, 2 teams either ( a ) didn't start a head coach or ( b ) started a head coach on a bye week. The message board has blown up this morning, as both owners won. In end, it wouldn't have made a difference, as 1 had Jacksonville selected (but later dropped him; would have gained 4 addt'l points) and the other won by 12 points (so even if he picked the Rams coach, he still would have won).

Here's the message from our league commissioner:

"Hey Owners...well we have an issue. As some, if not all of you, are aware there have been a couple of you that didn't start a full roster this week. I know we don't have a rule about it but I thought that everyone had the understanding that you are supposed to have a full roster starting. I hope this doesn't become an issue for the rest of the season. I guess we are going to have to vote on what the rule is going to be for next year."

From one of the losing owners:

"I agree. Especially the head coach position. A loss is always possible and by not starting a head coach gives one team a decided advantage. The rule should be no full line up. No win. Or minus a predetermined number of points. I would say 30+. The penalty needs to be substantial. "

My Thoughts:

If a team chooses to start a head coach on a bye, I don't have a problem with it. By not taking the chance at losing 10 points, he also takes the chance that he can't win 10 points. Now, if he drops him from his roster completely, thus opening a slot on the bench, then I would have a problem with it, as that's 1 less player available for the other teams.

What do you think?

Edited by DubGeek

My Thoughts:

If a team chooses to start a head coach on a bye, I don't have a problem with it. By not taking the chance at losing 10 points, he also takes the chance that he can't win 10 points. Now, if he drops him from his roster completely, thus opening a slot on the bench, then I would have a problem with it, as that's 1 less player available for the other teams.

What do you think?

I'd agree if there were no negatives. But since there are, some owners will try to dodge the system to avoid the risk. Rams are great example - if you're covering a bye you lost 10 points with them. This also opens up later games as another factor. A few years ago in a league with -2 per INT we had an owner up by 3 going into MNF that inserted a bye week QB for his (awful) starter - I wanna say Bledsoe when he was throwing donuts in Dallas. It didn't end up being a difference in the outcome, but he was able to remove all doubt prior to kickoff.

The best thing to do is give owners the automatic worst possible result in this case - make it not worth trying. A distant second is to get all the owners discussing this, get an agreement on how to handle it, and accept the results. Hard to get a consensus on opinion but if it's at least clear then all owners are at least operating on a level field.

If there is no rule that says a full lineup must be started, then it is a perfectly valid strategic move to start a coach on bye (or not start one at all) to eliminate the risk of losing points.

I've seen it done before (albeit not often) in leagues where a team has a slim lead heading into Monday night with say one player left to play. They bench said player to eliminate the risk of negative points, which in leagues with negatives for INTs or lost fumbles or for defenses giving up a large number of points is a very real possibility.

In this case, assuming there is no rule that states a full valid lineup must be started (which means no bye players at any position, not just head coach) if I were up by more than 10, it's a non-factor, but if I were up less than 10 and we were heading into Monday Night and my opponent was done and all that I had left was my Head Coach, I'd be a fool to not bench said coach and take a zero from the position, thus securing the win.

You can't do anything about it this year, but next year make sure you address the situation.

My suggestion would be to remove the Head Coach as a position. Kill 2 birds with one stone....