[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Can football ever become important enough globally to become an Olympic Sport?

bconngemini

Why do you say that? The NFL has formally stated it wants football to be an Olympics sport (Peyton Manning even did a pledge for it) and the IOC wants football because football is the most watched and respected spectator sport in the world. Im sure the IOC wans to get better ratings among males, it gets great ratings for women due to chick sports like gymnastics, figure skating and soccer, but if we add football along with baseball you'll have a larger male audience.

Olympic baseball would be like olympic soccer. No one would care about it.

How do I know?

:wacko: BECAUSE IT WAS AN OLYMPIC SPORT IN 2008 (S Korea G, Cuba S, US B )

Thankfully the plug has been pulled and it won't show up again any time soon.

So doesn't that kind of put a hole in your theory?

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

Football is the most watched sport in the world ... but not American football. SOCCER it is.

yup.

I recall reading that the superbowl was the most watched 1 day/yearly sporting event in the world and this link seems to back it up. But obviously the quadrenial world cup has a much much larger audience overall.

everyone lies though.

I do remember watching a superbowl where the announcers were claiming that the world wide audience was 1 billion. And that just seemed totally impossible to me.

Looks like they were lying ten times over, as opposed to fifa which kept their fib at a slightly more plausible lie factor of 3 or 4.

That's just stupid. Five year olds should be running around after a ball with daddy and learning to stay upright, not playing in teams.

Well, when are they suppose to find out they are losers or winners then? :wacko:

Seriously though, they can do both. I mean... run around after the ball with daddy AND with a team. As long as they are having FUN doing it.