[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

GOP Mandate

Ursa Majoris

Might not be quite the mandate they think it is

When it comes to the health care law Obama signed in March, just 39 percent back the GOP effort to repeal it or scale it back. Fifty-eight percent would rather make even more changes in the health care system or leave the measure alone.

I am somewhat surprised at this. It indicates to me there's a pent-up demand to scrap the way health care works across the board - maybe Obama didn't go far enough?

That is somewhat surprising. Every other poll I've seen has around 52% wanting it repealed. I wonder how the question was worded. If repeal means go back to the way things were before and not address it, then I cans see where then numbers might come out that way. I think most want health care reform, but just not in the form that we got it. I'd like to see some other polls with similar numbers prior to taking this one at face value.

The latest Rassmuesen poll shows 58% in favor of repeal. Of the 33 polls he's taken since March 50% in favor of repeal is as low as it has gotten.

ETA: RealClearPolitics also shows most favoring opposing it. One thing I find interesting is the AP/GfK poll (same polling organization in yahoo story) has a poll from 11/3 to 11/8 showing only 38% favor the health care law.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

That is somewhat surprising. Every other poll I've seen has around 52% wanting it repealed. I wonder how the question was worded. If repeal means go back to the way things were before and not address it, then I cans see where then numbers might come out that way. I think most want health care reform, but just not in the form that we got it. I'd like to see some other polls with similar numbers prior to taking this one at face value.

The latest Rassmuesen poll shows 58% in favor of repeal. Of the 33 polls he's taken since March 50% in favor of repeal is as low as it has gotten.

ETA: RealClearPolitics also shows most favoring opposing it. One thing I find interesting is the AP/GfK poll (same polling organization in yahoo story) has a poll from 11/3 to 11/8 showing only 38% favor the health care law.

On page 45 of the PDF at this link is the actual question and the actual responses.

The question:

What would you prefer Congress do with the new health care law:

The responses:

Leave it as is 20Change it so that it does MORE to change the health care system 38Change it so that it does LESS to change the health care system 8Repeal it completely 31

BTW, it was a telephone poll and has a 4.1% margin of error, apparently.

On page 45 of the PDF at this link is the actual question and the actual responses.

The question:

The responses:

Leave it as is 20Change it so that it does MORE to change the health care system 38Change it so that it does LESS to change the health care system 8Repeal it completely 31

So basically only 20% want to leave it the way it is. Changing it so that it does more does not necessarily mean that government would have a larger or as large of a role in health care. I'd like to see it changed so that it breaks the link between the employer an employee, so that it allows insurance companies to sell across state lines, and so that it addresses tort reform. I also want to see it changed where it does not penalize the employer for not providing insurance, and where it does something to strengthen our immigration laws as illegals are a hugh drain on the health care system in states like Texas, California, New Mexico, and Arizona. I also question the constitutionality of requiring people to purchase insurance (though I actually like the idea). Based on what I've listed above, which of the four responses should I give to that survey?

The question:

The responses:

the way that's worded, even I would almost have to side with the 38%. obamacare changed a bunch of stuff it shouldn't have, and it totally whiffed on a bunch of changes it should have made. so even though I'd probably say it's a crappy enough first draft that it should be scrapped entirely in order to start over, I can also sympathize with saying change it to do more AND change it to do less.

the way that's worded, even I would almost have to side with the 38%. obamacare changed a bunch of stuff it shouldn't have, and it totally whiffed on a bunch of changes it should have made. so even though I'd probably say it's a crappy enough first draft that it should be scrapped entirely in order to start over, I can also sympathize with saying change it to do more AND change it to do less.

I just thought the results were surprising given the knee jerk reaction that people supposedly have over "Obamacare". Maybe some are a little more thoughtful than we think. Or maybe some benefits are starting to trickle in to people. By 2012, there will be several more.

I just thought the results were surprising given the knee jerk reaction that people supposedly have over "Obamacare". Maybe some are a little more thoughtful than we think. Or maybe some benefits are starting to trickle in to people. By 2012, there will be several more.

Which benefits have already started kicking in? What happens when the more costly benefits start kicking in, and employers that don't have the sway of the politicians like McDonalds and the various unions start dropping coverage? What happens when the waivers (why are we giving waivers to begin with) expire? The way this is phased in or the way certain groups are protected until after the next election is pure cowardice in my opinion.

Which benefits have already started kicking in? What happens when the more costly benefits start kicking in, and employers that don't have the sway of the politicians like McDonalds and the various unions start dropping coverage? What happens when the waivers (why are we giving waivers to begin with) expire? The way this is phased in or the way certain groups are protected until after the next election is pure cowardice in my opinion.

The right to keep your kids on your insurance longer has already begun to kick in.

As for the rest of your questions ("what happens?"), I have no idea. We will see, won't we?