[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

E Mail Received

Footballjoe

Late last week I received an email at work with my daughters email address on it. I went to open it and it was blocked by our IS Department. This morning I received another one. Although it came from my daughters email address it had a title of "whats going on Joe". I could see the first line of the post without having to open it and it spoke about wanting me to contact them because they heard about me having money problems. :wacko: OK. I know this is a scam / spam but what can we do about it? How are they using my daughters email address? Is this a problem we should be really concerned with? Please advise. TIA

Late last week I received an email at work with my daughters email address on it. I went to open it and it was blocked by our IS Department. This morning I received another one. Although it came from my daughters email address it had a title of "whats going on Joe". I could see the first line of the post without having to open it and it spoke about wanting me to contact them because they heard about me having money problems. :wacko: OK. I know this is a scam / spam but what can we do about it? How are they using my daughters email address? Is this a problem we should be really concerned with? Please advise. TIA

Nothing you can do about it. It's called email spoofing and it happens to everyone. In your work spam filter, you will likely see hundreds addressed from you to you.

Don't be fooled by the e-mails "FROM" address. Programs can send out an e-mail with any "FROM" address they wish. It doesn't mean that it was actually sent from that person. The bigger concern here may be on your daughters PC since a virus may have gotten into it that has accessed her e-mail contacts list. Don't put too much thought and worry into it. Spammers have countless ways of generating their e-mails. Tell your daughter to run a scan on her PC though.

Late last week I received an email at work with my daughters email address on it. I went to open it and it was blocked by our IS Department. This morning I received another one. Although it came from my daughters email address it had a title of "whats going on Joe". I could see the first line of the post without having to open it and it spoke about wanting me to contact them because they heard about me having money problems. :tup: OK. I know this is a scam / spam but what can we do about it? How are they using my daughters email address? Is this a problem we should be really concerned with? Please advise. TIA

That reminds me, I need to call your daughter about that $800,000 I won from the UK lottery. She said I just need to send her a check for $120 to claim the prize, sounds like a pretty good deal. :wacko:

That reminds me, I need to call your daughter about that $800,000 I won from the UK lottery. She said I just need to send her a check for $120 to claim the prize, sounds like a pretty good deal. :wacko:

Did she ask you to take a picture of yourself with a fish on your head like she did to me?

Don't be fooled by the e-mails "FROM" address. Programs can send out an e-mail with any "FROM" address they wish. It doesn't mean that it was actually sent from that person. The bigger concern here may be on your daughters PC since a virus may have gotten into it that has accessed her e-mail contacts list. Don't put too much thought and worry into it. Spammers have countless ways of generating their e-mails. Tell your daughter to run a scan on her PC though.

Agreed though it's more likely her email address was raided from someone else's address book, Facebook or a ton of other publicly visible places.