[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And so it begins

tazinib1

I never even knew this law existed

It's about time I say.

I have no problem with this. However, I'm sure the violators have already started up another. Probably even a couple hours after the first one was seized.

2009Jerseys.com is now 2010Jerseys.com. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

I understand and appreciate the spirit of this, but have a problem with gov't passing laws that allow them to skirt other laws, like due process or the fact that some of these sites aren't otherwise breaking any laws themselves. You want to bust someone, bust the people who abuse (eg) Torrent sites who are actually the ones breaking the law. (oh wait that's right they tried that and bungled it badly....)

I understand and appreciate the spirit of this, but have a problem with gov't passing laws that allow them to skirt other laws, like due process or the fact that some of these sites aren't otherwise breaking any laws themselves. You want to bust someone, bust the people who abuse (eg) Torrent sites who are actually the ones breaking the law. (oh wait that's right they tried that and bungled it badly....)

I see it more as the government adjusting to the times. Instead of busting people bootlegging VHS and DVDs they have to go in to cyberspace. But I do see your point of view.

What I would like to know is what everyone thinks about Fusion centers. I'm surprised it hasn't been brought up before.

"My domain has been seized without any previous complaint or notice from any court!" the owner of Torrent-Finder told TorrentFreak, which listed more than 70 domains that were apparently part of the massive seizure.

I'm not sure I believe this statement; however, if true, hard to get on-board with this program.

I'm not sure I believe this statement; however, if true, hard to get on-board with this program.

The police don't send letters to burglars before they nab them. Perhaps more appropriately, they arrest lookouts and other aiders and abetters too. I have zero sympathy for those aiding and abetting theft.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

The police don't send letters to burglars before they nab them. Perhaps more appropriately, they arrest lookouts and other aiders and abetters too. I have zero sympathy for those aiding and abetting theft.

:wacko:

Like when a cop sees a crime being committed they should stop it?

Like when a cop sees a crime being committed they should stop it?

Of course. I was referring to the quote:

"My domain has been seized without any previous complaint or notice from any court!" the owner of Torrent-Finder told TorrentFreak, which listed more than 70 domains that were apparently part of the massive seizure.

Why should there be a warning?

I see it more as the government adjusting to the times. Instead of busting people bootlegging VHS and DVDs they have to go in to cyberspace.

Not the same because they aren't busting the people who are "stealing" the music or videos or whatever.

I think if an airline routinely and knowingly transported cocaine over and over again it would be shut down right quick without advanced warning.

Yeah and because they are breaking the law. What law is being broken by having a site that allows people to exchange data? None. They don't tell people to exchange copyrighted data. Bust the people who are breaking the law.

Edited by BeeR

I think I disagree with myself from earlier. Maybe. If these sites do nothing but file sharing then I wonder what files a person is legally allowed to share. If you own these website how do you make money? If the site is your virtual property, what obligation do you have to make sure it is being used legally?

I think I disagree with myself from earlier. Maybe. If these sites do nothing but file sharing then I wonder what files a person is legally allowed to share. If you own these website how do you make money? If the site is your virtual property, what obligation do you have to make sure it is being used legally?

And so it begins

I think that like anything else, if you run a legal disclaimer stating that users of this site must hold copyright to the files shared or have permission from the copyright owner to share them, then the site itself would be completely absolved from any wrongdoing. Then the onus is on the individual using the site to comply with the laws.

Not the same because they aren't busting the people who are "stealing" the music or videos or whatever.

It is though. The people selling bootleg VHS/CDs/Music CDs on the street corners didn't steal the material, they sold it. Same principle. You go after the people/entity that is providing the vehicle.

Anything not trade marked/copy write protected

Shareware