[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Fighter

Jackass

Went and saw 'The Fighter' on Christmas day. Story is typical underdog boxing story with no real surprises. However, it is unique with Mickey Ward's brothers boxing history and crack addiction. Christian Bale was really good and has a good shot to win an academy award. Movie was just as much about his brother as it was Mickey Ward. Would've been cool if they had included some pieces of his fights with Gatti, which were supposedly some of the best boxing fights of all time but there was nothing wrong with the direction they went. Maybe a documentary can be made about the Gatti fights or something. Anyway, excellent movie, uplifting, engrossing, great acting. 3 and 1/2 stars out of 4.

Went and saw 'The Fighter' on Christmas day. Story is typical underdog boxing story with no real surprises. However, it is unique with Mickey Ward's brothers boxing history and crack addiction. Christian Bale was really good and has a good shot to win an academy award. Movie was just as much about his brother as it was Mickey Ward. Would've been cool if they had included some pieces of his fights with Gatti, which were supposedly some of the best boxing fights of all time but there was nothing wrong with the direction they went. Maybe a documentary can be made about the Gatti fights or something. Anyway, excellent movie, uplifting, engrossing, great acting. 3 and 1/2 stars out of 4.

I was wondering if they highlighted the Gatti fights in that movie. I thought that would be the inspirational ending to be honest with you since Ward won Gatti/Ward 1 .

I was wondering if someone was going to start a thread on this flick. Boxing movies just don't seem to get much love anymore (Was Million Dollar Baby in 2004 the last acclaimed one?). I'm going to see this movie tomorrow partly because I like the cast.

bored one night I stumbled upon the Ward/Gatti fight live on HBO, it was awesome. boxing used to be filled with good fights at many weight classes, but not lately. the days of the Sugar Rays (both), Ali's and Hearns of the world are over.

ward gatti was awesome. Ward took the first and Gatti took the next 2. Gatti beat him in the 3rd basically with 1 hand as he broke his hand early in the fight. Gatti wasnt the best boxer, Gatti didnt have the best technique, but he was one of the most entertaining fighters in the history of the sport. Id rather watch a gatti loss than a Floyd Mayweather snoozefest win

I was wondering if someone was going to start a thread on this flick. Boxing movies just don't seem to get much love anymore (Was Million Dollar Baby in 2004 the last acclaimed one?). I'm going to see this movie tomorrow partly because I like the cast.

Were there any notable boxing movies before Rocky?

Been waiting to see this one for a while. And I disagree that there are no more good boxing fights; I think there are several good fights. I actually think boxing has evened out so much, similar to other sports, where theres just not one true dominant fighter in most weight divisions as there may have been in years past. "Parody" i suppose. A ton of talented guys, and a ton of great fights still exist out there. It's on showtime & hbo regularly, espn as well.

I saw it today and was thoroughly entertained. The pace was really good. I thought Christian Bale stole the show. If he doesn't get an acting award in 2011 I'll be surprised. Mark Wanlberg, Amy Adams and Melissa Leo (who played the mother) were also pretty awesome.