[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philosophical Poll

muck

Life is...  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Life is...

• ...a series of choices.
    • ...a series of actions.
    • ...a series of reactions.

:wacko:

Oh and my discussions with my wife are never as deep as this. We usually talk about stopping at Cracker Barrel or fast food while on a trip.

LOL.

This (very short) conversation occurred about an hour after our 22 month old son puked in the back seat of the minivan 5hrs from home.

While this is great advice, I would like to point out the very obvious facts that:

1) Not all good choices have (immediate) good consequences.

2) Not all bad choices have (immediate) bad consequences.

They're 11 and 14. At best, they can see five minutes into the future.

I think that it's reasonable to argue that the biggest events that shape our lives are not what we chose to do but how we react to cataclysmic events. To wit:

A wife catches her husband cheating on her. He appears genuinely repentant and remorseful. What does she do?

Does she (i) ignore him, divorce him, take the kids, 1/2 the money, and child support ... or ... (ii) listen to him, reconcile the marriage, maybe move to a new town and try to start again.

Possible long-reaching lessons:

Tack #1 teaches the kids to not take crap from anyone when treated poorly, possibly increasing the likelihood they are somewhat cynical later on and learning that marriages are not really 'for better or worse' and are items of convenience only.

Tack #2 teaches kids the power of forgiveness and reconciliation ... assuming that he doesn't repeat the behavior, in which case it teaches the lessons that come with watching someone you love getting walked all over and emotionally abused and that 'better or worse' can be one-sided (i.e., better for me, worse for you).

...all that to say, I didn't answer "reactions" but "choices"...

While this is great advice, I would like to point out the very obvious facts that:

1) Not all good choices have (immediate) good consequences.

2) Not all bad choices have (immediate) bad consequences.

To say the least. Or to put another way - "no good deed goes unpunished"