[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finally ready

alexgaddis

any thoughts about this LG 50" Plasma?

It would be going into a not overly bright room.

if you're going Plasma (which sounds like the best fit for you) go Panasonic and with that price range, I'd get the S30 series....Costco does not have the TV so I'll provide a Sears link...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_0...mp;blockType=L1

the TV is 899 right now, but you can find it for 799...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any thoughts about this LG 50" Plasma?

It would be going into a not overly bright room.

The one downside to Costco online site is that they don't give you the manufacturer's model number. So, you can't really say if it's good or not, but in general LG does make some quality sets. Most people would say Panasonic is better overall.

The one downside to Costco online site is that they don't give you the manufacturer's model number. So, you can't really say if it's good or not, but in general LG does make some quality sets. Most people would say Panasonic is better overall.

they do way down at the bottom (in this case the info is Model 50PV400--which, from all accounts, is the Costco version of the LG 50PV450 (although it doesn't have a real USB input). The 50PV450 is a Consumer Reports recommended buy (and is second (out of four plasma sets rated by CR) behind the Panasonic TC-P50S30).

It seems if I go with the LG version that I will be giving up 3D capability, wifi inputs and a few other bells and whistles. (I do very much like Costco's return policies, so my desire is to buy from them.)

Ah, the fine print...

3D is no loss IMO.

I don't know if this TV has apps or not. If it does, lack of WiFi may be inconvenient if you want to stream Netflix and/or other TV apps unless you have a DVD player with wifi or a handy ethernet cord nearby. If you don't care about apps and streaming, then no big deal.

I think you'll be happy with it given you are not a videophile, your price point, and that this is your first HDTV so just about anything is an improvement over the old boob tube. You don't need or want to go for the high end, more expensive features out there.

they do way down at the bottom (in this case the info is Model 50PV400--which, from all accounts, is the Costco version of the LG 50PV450 (although it doesn't have a real USB input). The 50PV450 is a Consumer Reports recommended buy (and is second (out of four plasma sets rated by CR) behind the Panasonic TC-P50S30).

It seems if I go with the LG version that I will be giving up 3D capability, wifi inputs and a few other bells and whistles. (I do very much like Costco's return policies, so my desire is to buy from them.)

even though I agree with their thoughts on the Panasonic plasma's....Consumer Reports is sketchy to me because you can't rate a TV by watching it for less than 6 months...

this is the way I see it right now

Panasonic is top in plasma

Samsung is top in LED/LCD

LG is 2nd best in both departments

Sony is living off their name...but then again Samsung is doing the same right now....

Pioneer makes the best plasmas, not that wiegie is in the market for an Elite, but Panasonic's aren't nearly as good imo.

I'm talking about current models since Pioneer doesn't exist anymore....

and yeah...their Kuro Plasma lineup is untouchable and has been since '08....the only thing even remotely close is the Panasonic VT30 as of this year and not to mention Panasonic bought out their patent for the Pioneer Elite and Kuro line.....I may have some of the tidbits a bit inaccurate but they did buy out patents from Pioneer for their plasma line.....but an S30 is nowhere near that, yet still better than the comparable LG and Samsung models...

well, got the LG this evening (I think I pissed off another couple because they got to Costco's tv section about 1 minute after we did and seemed quite interested in the set too--alas for them, the was only one in stock and I took it.)

Hooked it up to a Blue-Ray player that we won at some raffle about 18 months ago. (When we got it, it didn't come in its original box or even have a manual, although it appeared to be brand new.)

Put in the Blue-Ray disc about American landscapes that I also bought at Costco tonight for $10. For the hell of it, I also threw the regular DVD so that it would play concurrently on our old TV.

Had the whole family gathered around the TVs so that we could see the new and improved HD at work. And sure enough, it really was pretty impressive.

And then about ten minutes later the crappy Blue-Ray player stopped working. :wacko:

In any case, DirectTV is coming out tomorrow with some HD boxes, so hopefully I will be good to go.

Edited by wiegie

DirectTV guy is here to install our dish. He tells me that he checked with his "sensors" and, because of our neighbor's trees, the only places in our yard that would work would be on the very top of our roof (where he will not install it) or in the middle of our flower garden (where I would not have him install it). He wants to declare our house a "no line" meaning that we aren't able to get DirectTV (despite the fact that we currently have Dish Network and the previous home-owners used to have Direct TV). In fact, the guy seemed pretty eager to ditch me and leave. :tup:

For the hell of it, I tell him to check if it would work near a spruce tree in our front yard. He checks with his sensors and says it might work. He then puts together a dish to see if he can get a signal. As it turns out he can get a signal with the dish itself, but amusingly, the direction in which he is pointing the dish is about 20 degrees further south than the direction that the trees which were supposedly blocking the signal are. So, as it works out, he is going to install the new dish on the same pole that our current Dish Network dish is on. :wacko:

He is still here working on things, so I'm just waiting for the next reason things won't work.

Edited by wiegie