[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Illinois....what's up with your Governator?

tazinib1

I agree with this in general, all other things being equal. I can't see why both public and private employees shouldn't have the same retirement vehicle. No new hire in any field should be pensioned.

That said, the existing obligations should be honored as far as possible.

This, though I don't think other states or the federal government should step in to help pay the pensions. If the state goes bankrupt, then it goes bankrupt, and I shouldn't be on the hook for something a corrupt politician in Illinois promised to a corrupt union boss.

This, though I don't think other states or the federal government should step in to help pay the pensions. If the state goes bankrupt, then it goes bankrupt, and I shouldn't be on the hook for something a corrupt politician in Illinois promised to a corrupt union boss.

Why not? You are on the hook to pay billions into Iraq and Afghan programs started by a morally corrupt president . . . :wacko:

Why not? You are on the hook to pay billions into Iraq and Afghan programs started by a morally corrupt president . . . :wacko:

Could you please tone down the hateful, dangerous, partisan rhetoric.

Tit for tat . . read the progression.

The point is that it aint limited to one party, bith parties are systemically corrupt.

You do have the ability to rise above other's hate speech and set an example. :wacko:

Because I'm able to vote on which idiots I send to Washington to represent me. I'm not able to vote on the idiots in Illinois that promised the unions the moon.

Because I'm able to vote on which idiots I send to Washington to represent me. I'm not able to vote on the idiots in Illinois that promised the unions the moon.

:wacko: good point.

That is why the state is raising its taxes and reducing spending. It is making somewhat sound fiscal decisions for the first time in decades.

-sigh-

I want to go back in time to when they started some of these ridiculous union contracts/provisions in the 70's and beat the hell out of the legislatures that approved them.

I know it is insane. A pension manager invests in the "exact" same way as my 401k. The ONLY difference is a pension return is guaranteed while my return is variable. The tax payer is the insurance or bailout... I am sorry when they go to BK court all these pension holders should get what exactly they invested plus a typical return...maybe BK court makes this determination. Not trying to sound heartless but the government is in trouble. The pain from our governments not properly restructuring will be a lot worse then a reduced/appropriate pension.

Of course if this ends up being possible.

Edited by Grimm74

How many Republicans were there in that legislature?

:wacko: I went to see the voting record and it wasnt the legislature. It was a statewide election of the electorate.

You reap what you sow . . .dummies. If I didnt have a such a great job and my kids werent so entrenched . . I would be out in a heartbeat.

Raising taxes always works!

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/economy/2011-01-19/jimmy-johns-founder-contemplates-moving-headquarters-out-illinois.h' rel="external nofollow">

CHAMPAIGN – The founder of Jimmy John's said he has applied for Florida residency and may recommend that his corporate headquarters move out-of-state as a result of the Illinois tax increases enacted last week.

Raising taxes always works!

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/business/economy/2011-01-19/jimmy-johns-founder-contemplates-moving-headquarters-out-illinois.h' rel="external nofollow">

CHAMPAIGN – The founder of Jimmy John's said he has applied for Florida residency and may recommend that his corporate headquarters move out-of-state as a result of the Illinois tax increases enacted last week.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Didn't I just read in the news that Rhode Island is losing millions in tax revenues because of people moving to FL, which has no state income tax? Taxes aren't just raised in a vacuum.

Oh, and as far as the pensions go, there are defined benefit pensions, which are the cause of the angst. Then, there are defined contribution pensions - much like a 401K. You get to invest, employer matches. I had one of those (and still have it stashed away) from working at Cingular/AT&T.