[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Super Bowl XLV

Menudo

Who Will Win The Super Bowl ?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Vs. Spread - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers (-2.5)
    • Pittsburgh Steelers (+2.5)
  2. 2. Straight - Who Will Win ?

• Green Bay Packers
    • Pittsburgh Steelers

I think it's fair to judge coaches on SBs won (players not so much, but that's a whole 'nother thread); still, sustained success is the indicator of a good coach - that means the HC kept winning as the roster turned over. But it all comes down to getting good players - anyone else think it's an accident the Steelers were VERY GOOD with Chuck O'Donnell and Kordell Stewart, but are verging on "great" with Roethlisberger?

No doubt. The Steelers had the pieces in place......great defense, great O-Line, great running game for several years, but, didn't have the leader at QB. O'Donnell, Kordell, Tomczak & Maddox couldn't lead them to the promise land. There are a few exceptions, but, most Super Bowl winning teams are lead by phenomenal QB's (Most Super Bowl Runner-ups are also led by phenomenal QB's).

I agree with your point though, sustained success is the true measure of a coach.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to a lot of sports talk radio and reading articles online. It seems the majority of analysts are picking the favored Packers. Mike McCarthy says it's their time, and the majority of folks seem to agree with them. There seems to be more good reasons to take the Packers over the Steelers. The most popular reason is that they believe the Packers' strength in their passing game is the Steeler's weakness, the secondary, especially if they spread them out the way the Patriots did earlier in the season.

The only argument I've heard for the Steelers' is their prior Super Bowl experience. However, Matt Forte was able to run on the Packers, and I think the Steelers can too. I also think the Packers' vaunted secondary can be thrown on. I don't think Big Ben should hesitate to go after Williams, Shields or Woodson. Can James Harrison and Lawrence Timmons get to Rodgers before he gets rid of the ball? That's the question everyone is asking. I'm just hoping that they can apply enough pressure, so Troy Polamalu can bait Rodgers into an interception. I'm pulling for the Steelers, so I don't think I can give an objective opinion. I would just love for the Steelers to shut all of these experts up.

Edited by electricrelish

I have avoided listening to too much analysis from the talking heads on this one. But something Sal Palentonio said did help cement my thoughts on this game. He said that over 50% of the Steelers runs this season were straight up the middle. Not that big a deal except for the fact that the Steelers are minus Pouncey. They have depended on his blocking to make their running game work a majority of the time. I'm not saying that this will be a deciding factor in the game, but it certainly is noteworthy. If the Steelers have to resort to running outside, it would seem the Packers have the speed on defense to take advantage of that circumstance. I'm guessing we will see lots and lots of passing in this game. My initial thought as expressed earlier in the thread was to take the experienced team with the points, but interestingly enough the Steelers have been favored in every Superbowl they have played in except one. They lost that game. I am on the Packers and the over.

I have avoided listening to too much analysis from the talking heads on this one. But something Sal Palentonio said did help cement my thoughts on this game. He said that over 50% of the Steelers runs this season were straight up the middle. Not that big a deal except for the fact that the Steelers are minus Pouncey. They have depended on his blocking to make their running game work a majority of the time. I'm not saying that this will be a deciding factor in the game, but it certainly is noteworthy. If the Steelers have to resort to running outside, it would seem the Packers have the speed on defense to take advantage of that circumstance. I'm guessing we will see lots and lots of passing in this game. My initial thought as expressed earlier in the thread was to take the experienced team with the points, but interestingly enough the Steelers have been favored in every Superbowl they have played in except one. They lost that game. I am on the Packers and the over.

The loss of Pouncey is definitely not something to overlook. First, Doug Legursky is better than many may think. He is a solid offensive lineman who has filled in at Guard, Tackle & Center this season. Yes, he had a couple of bad snaps, and a couple of times where he was pushed back in the Jets game, but, he also had some great blocks in that game, and held up pretty well. All of that said, he isn't in Pouncey's league. Pouncey is easily the best offensive lineman on the Steelers. He is fast, strong & physical. He cannot be replaced. However, the Steelers have overcome other injuries through the years, and the Packers have been incredible despite injuries this year, so, his loss is ceratinly no excuse. Does it make the Steelers offense weaker ? I don't know how it wouldn't. Losing your best offensive lineman on an already depleted corps will definitely hurt. The Steelers have to run the ball to allow their play-action game to work and to hold back the Packers defensive pressure.

Forgetting for a second that I'm a Steeler fan, and I'm obviously invested in that, I truly can't wait to see how this all plays out. This should be a great Super Bowl. I hope it lives up to the expectations.

something I heard on the radio on the way home tonight from the UFC fights was very interesting.

Aaron Rodger is 6-15 in his career in games decided by 6 points or less.

GB's biggest deficit all season was 7 points

So unless the game is a GB blowout, which I dont see it at all. Rodgers isnt the guy I would want leading my team down late. GB lost 6 games this yr, and their defense kept them in every one of them. Rodgers simply couldnt get it done when the game was on the line.

6-15 in 21 games decided by 6 pts or less is not elite. Its Lionesque.

The most impressive thing I have seen in these playoffs were how physical Pitt was running it right down the Jets throat. That surprised me. I thought Pitt wins that game, but it would be Ben who led them with the pass. The next most impressive thing I saw in these playoffs were Ben and Co coming back from a huge lead on Baltimore's defense the game before. I do not think these 2 impressive wins can just be overlooked. Yet they are by everyone who is still focusing in on the GB/ATL debacle, and ignoring the fact GB barely beat a Bears team with its 3rd string QB. Not sure why this is so overlooked as if it was an aberation. In fact the Philly win had more to do with the Packers defense and 2 missed FGs than Rodgers. Rodgers had 180 yards passing in that game. And it wasnt as if Philly was being blown out. Vick was on the move late to win the game, when a game saving INT in the end zone on a poor decision sealed the deal.

I stand by my original prediction of 24-14, though I actually think it maybe more low scoring than this. probably closer to 17-14

this should be a great game, and I am still rooting for GB. I just cant imagine seeing James Harrison and Big Ben celebrating in our house.

I think it's preordained that the Steelers are going to win, so I don't think this will be much of a game. I can't stand the Steelers and their legions of fans who spend every cent of disposable income on Steelers merchandise---hats, coats, new spamshirts every year, ties, sunglasses, flags, mailboxes...and on and on. I can't stand the fact that fans from every other home team in the NFL will gladly sell their tickets when the Steelers come to town----if you are going to do that then AT LEAST charge 3 or 4 times the face value, so that it will eat into their terrible towel budget.

The Steelers are a good football team, no doubt, and are built to win consistently. The Packers are also good, but not quite good enough to overcome the Steelers AND the refs in this game....yeah, I went there.

Am I bitter because my team sucks and isn't playing in this game? Yes.

Edited by Skilly

The Steelers are a good football team, no doubt, and are built to win consistently. The Packers are also good, but not quite good enough to overcome the Steelers AND the refs in this game....yeah, I went there.

Ya know, I have considered this. I think the majority of the betting public is on the Packers, so the books would be best served by a Steelers victory or cover. And I have been caught on the wrong side of that equation more than a few times. I just hope like hell that I am not back on these boards tomorrow lamenting the NFL finally crossing the line into WWE territory. I finally got over the Seahawks/Steelers fiasco (kind of) but another one like that and my faith may not recover.

Here's to a good clean game decided by the players and the players alone.

Would everyone please do this noob a favour and stop quoting "LivingThe Dream". I have him on ignore and every time you fellas quote him I can see what kind of drivel he posts. It seriously dwngrades my IQ whenever I have to read his garbage. Did he really call someone a troll? Hello Pot my name is kettle. :wacko:

Ya know, I have considered this. I think the majority of the betting public is on the Packers, so the books would be best served by a Steelers victory or cover. And I have been caught on the wrong side of that equation more than a few times. I just hope like hell that I am not back on these boards tomorrow lamenting the NFL finally crossing the line into WWE territory. I finally got over the Seahawks/Steelers fiasco (kind of) but another one like that and my faith may not recover.

Here's to a good clean game decided by the players and the players alone.

Wow, someone else actually has the guts to question the legitimacy of the game itself. Last year, I said that it looked like it was predetermined that the Saints would win, and I was lambasted because I dared to throw stones at a city where a title meant so much. I wasn't throwing stones at one team, but the elite few that run the league. Do I think everyone is in on it? Nope. But it's hard to fathom that someone doesn't try to influence the outcome of the game outside the efforts of the players, coaches and fans. When so much money is at stake, it's hard not to wonder if the entire game is on the up and up. I sure hope it is. I root for the Steelers, but the victory over the Seahawks is the one game I never rewind and watch again. It was one of the league's most embarrassing games of all time. Still, I want to believe. I really do. Go Steelers!

Edited by electricrelish

The NFL has a ways to go to get to NBA territory.

I know this sounds silly, but it worries me that Vince Lombardi is on Broadway at the same time the Packers are in the Super Bowl. The fact that the NFL Network has been showing Lombardi pep talks portrayed by the actor on Broadway, gives me that uncomfortable feeling that it's all been predetermined. This is just one little thing, but a Packers win tonight sure can't hurt ticket sales. Of course, one could take alternate road, that we're all being setup to go one way while the game goes another so the house wins in Vegas.

I'm tellilng you that Broadway show bugs me. The show wasn't on last season at this time, but the show opens the same season the Packers make the Super Bowl. Just feels setup.

...we're all being setup to go one way while the game goes another so the house wins in Vegas.

The house ALWAYS wins in Vegas. They just want 5% of all the $$ bet on the spread/moneyline. And they get it.

I'm tellilng you that Broadway show bugs me. The show wasn't on last season at this time, but the show opens the same season the Packers make the Super Bowl. Just feels setup.

That might have some merit if GB had benefited from dubious calls in their last 7 games - which featured TWO 4 pt losses vs NE and Det that one call could EASILY have swayed to help cinch up a playoff berth earlier; they blew out TWO opponents (NYG and Atl), and had two playoff wins where they took control early (Phi, Chi) and let the other team back in but were generally pretty controversy-free.

Now, that said, the game could end up looking TOTALLY rigged. But considering recent SBs have featured such generally undistinguished teams like St Louis, Carolina, and Arizona getting fair shots, I think you've gotta get rid of the foil hat.

Would everyone please do this noob a favour and stop quoting "LivingThe Dream". I have him on ignore and every time you fellas quote him I can see what kind of drivel he posts. It seriously dwngrades my IQ whenever I have to read his garbage. Did he really call someone a troll? Hello Pot my name is kettle. :wacko:

After reading your posts to date, you could only improve your IQ by listening to me. Besides no one is quoting me, you are reading my posts and responding in this stupid way. You are not fooling anyone. And why not go back to where you came from. Oh that right you ruined that site and its now gone. Seems we should get rid of you so that doesnt happen here. :tup: