[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My company is taking a bath with our first groupon

Seahawks21

Golfdiscount.com, the website I work for just launched a groupon in the San Diego area, selling $50 gift certificates for $25. We split the other $25 with groupon, so they get $12.50 per order. We sold 190 groupon gift certificates. So far, 17 have been redeemed, and 15 of them have been redeemed for an order total under $65 USD. None of them have been redeemed for an order total over $100. To break even, the orders needed to average about $80 per order. We were hoping some of these would be used towards iron sets, drivers, putters etc. Instead, we are going to basically sell out of socks, gloves, divot tools and tees, not to mention the money it is going to cost us for extra labor to process these orders.

The good news...we have another one set to launch in Sacramento next week, and groupon is forecasting that we will sell 800 of them. This very well could go down as the biggest mistake in the 15 year history of our website and could very well lead to us losing five figures.

Edited by Seahawks21

Local restaurant here sold 2,000 Groupons for $25 off $50 worth of food in just a few hours. That's $50k split between the restaurant and Groupon but I have no idea how the restaurant will make money on it if everyone redeems them.

Yeah, our company is really hoping they don't get redeemed. Selfishly, I only make commission if they are redeemed. Seems like a bit of a conflict of interest.