[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ACL Surgery

Patsfan39

I spayed windex on it and told everyone I was fine.

Time and proper exercise is the only thing you can do. Time is the most important factor. You aren't going to get better overnight

I originally told myself and everyone else I was fine, but it was swelling so much to the point where I had to get it checked out.

The amount of time and exercise is different for everyone though.

ROM for me was measured in degrees my knee would flex (heel to butt). Tearing scar tissue can suck.

I was on crutches for several weeks, I'd guess 3-4 at a minimum, post-op. That's just walking (if you can call it that) without crutches. Prior to surgery, Dr wanted to wait about 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down as my knee looked like a grapefruit, you couldn't find my kneecap with a biology book. Getting active again was about a couple/few months. Like MrTed said, time is the only thing... and like you said, it's different for everybody. But like I said (insinuated) before, rehab begins immediately. Longer you sit and get stale, the worse and longer your recovery. Sounds hokey, even weird, but I believe in our body's ability to heal, and heal even quicker with the proper direction from your Dr and PT.

http://www.sportsci.org/encyc/aclinj/aclinj.html

http://www.sportsdoc.umn.edu/Patients_Fold...clreconpat2.htm

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/acltears/acl_recovery.html

This one had a slew of links on th left side with more detail about the entire process.

• 1 month later...

Had surgery Jan. 15, today is April 15, and just got cleared to play again. So it's been EXACTLY 3 months, has anyone else recovered this quickly? I was pretty shocked that I got cleared this early, don't really know what to say, I'm just really excited to finally get back.

Had surgery Jan. 15, today is April 15, and just got cleared to play again. So it's been EXACTLY 3 months, has anyone else recovered this quickly? I was pretty shocked that I got cleared this early, don't really know what to say, I'm just really excited to finally get back.

Seems way too early to me.

Meant muscle strength of quds, hammies, abs, back, calves vs. Endurance. I had mine when I was 24 or 25 and am conservative because it took injury #3 for me to get surgery after decent rehab 2 times before. I's hate to see you go through it more than once

Passed a test that measures all your leg muscles, some were actually over 100% of my good leg. Abs are pretty strong (6-pack), but back is a little weak (had a herniated disk right before I tore my ACL), but it's not too weak, it's still strong enough.

I'm taking it easy RIGHT now, but I'm going to do more and more just so I don't go overboard.

I actually passed the tests 2 1/2 months, but I thought there was more stuff to do, but met with the doctor 3 months and he said I was ready go. So I was cleared 2 1/2 months, and it's been almost 3 1/2 months now. Still haven't played any real serious basketball yet, but in the small games I've played, I definetly see the burst you lose and have to gain back.

Has anyone heard of or seen someone come back this quick? I heard Philip Rivers came back after 3 months (training camp), although I'm not sure if he was actually 100%. But I feel like a QB doesn't need his ACL as much as a position like a RB or WR.