[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Proposed 28th Amendment to the US Constitution

muck

Would you support this amendment to the constitution?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support this amendment to the constitution?

• Yes, I would support it.
    • No, I would not support it.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution:

"Congress shall make no law that does not apply equally to all citizens of the United States, whether or not a current or former member of any of the Executive, Judicial or Legislative branches of government."

FYI -- Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention. For those interested, here is some info on Constitutional amendments.

No, I would not support this amendment. I understand the intent, however laws are already supposed to be applicable to all persons in this country. We currently have the right to try ex-officials for crimes committed while in office, there is no reason to add an amendment to do so.

I think there are much better new amendments that should be written. THis would be a decent one, but is about fourth on my list.

No, I would not support this amendment. I understand the intent, however laws are already supposed to be applicable to all persons in this country. We currently have the right to try ex-officials for crimes committed while in office, there is no reason to add an amendment to do so.

I asked b/c it's my understanding that (i) members of congress get 100% of their salary as a pension for life after serving only one term while members of the military get a 50% pension after 20yrs of service, (ii) members of congress are immune from criminal charges of sexual harrassment, (iii) members of congress are not subject to healthcare reform in any of its forms, (iv) family members of congressional staff are not obligated to repay student loans, etc.

I asked b/c it's my understanding that (i) members of congress get 100% of their salary as a pension for life after serving only one term while members of the military get a 50% pension after 20yrs of service, (ii) members of congress are immune from criminal charges of sexual harrassment, (iii) members of congress are not subject to healthcare reform in any of its forms, (iv) family members of congressional staff are not obligated to repay student loans, etc.

Interesting, I didn't think of it in that light...of course for the most part, I'm accused of not thinking anyway.

I dunno about all these but the use of amendments should be reserved for the very highest of issues. I don't see how a pension differential, however egregious and self-serving, could be defined as "law", per se. If you equalize Congress and the military down to the current military level, what about everyone else?

As written, the language is sweeping. I could not support it. Although I appreciate the spirit of the proposal, as proposed this begs to be subject to the law of unintended consequences.

Edit: also, there is already an equal protection clause in the constitution. For all the equal protection it provides :wacko:

Edited by Caveman_Nick

I probably would support it, for the fact that these azzhole politicians routinely exempt themselves from EVERYTHING they force on the public. SS, medicare, all of it! It's getting to be like nobles and peasants all over again. (yes, that's hyperbole, but 30 years ago would you have thought we'd have the "Your papers please!" checkpoints on the roads like we have now? Don't say it can't happen.)

I probably would support it, for the fact that these azzhole politicians routinely exempt themselves from EVERYTHING they force on the public. SS, medicare, all of it! It's getting to be like nobles and peasants all over again. (yes, that's hyperbole, but 30 years ago would you have thought we'd have the "Your papers please!" checkpoints on the roads like we have now? Don't say it can't happen.)

I agree wholeheartedly on this whole post.