[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dental Implants

Sugar Magnolia

I am going to have a dental implant in three weeks. I decided to have this procedure over a bridge based on internet research and several dental consults. I am having it done my an extremely competent oral surgeon. My dentist was in dental school with him, and he says he is the smartest guy he ever met. He also is an MD. He went to med school, got licensed, and then went back to dental school, so he could take over his father's practice. I have had numerous recommedations on his abilities. The reason for this implant is, I was born with no primary tooth under my baby tooth. It is the first molar in my lower. As a baby tooth, it was supposed to come out 42 years ago. The tooth finally came loose at age 53 and bacteria was working it's way to the root and was getting inflamed.

Has anyone had an implant done? I am a wimp about pain. The surgeon says, oh yeah, nothing to this, I've had people go back to work the same day. My oral surgeon, when I had my wisdom teeth pulled said the same thing, and that was total BS. I was bedridden on perocet for two days, and could barely get out of bed. I did go back to work day three, but that was the hard part. I had to wean off of the drugs, go back to work full time, and they next ten days had to fully function, with it difficult to eat, so very low energy, and it felt like someone beat my face with a baseball bat. It was the worst pain I've ever had.

Any feedback on pain and recovery would be much appreciated.

Cue the breast implant jokes :wacko:

The surgeons might not have necessarily been wrong, it just varies w/people. Sounds like you may want to man the Percoset. :tup: I'd also be curious as I have been looking at this too - luckily it's a far back tooth that needs replaced so I'm not missing it much.

I am going to have a dental implant in three weeks. I decided to have this procedure over a bridge based on internet research and several dental consults. I am having it done my an extremely competent oral surgeon. My dentist was in dental school with him, and he says he is the smartest guy he ever met. He also is an MD. He went to med school, got licensed, and then went back to dental school, so he could take over his father's practice. I have had numerous recommedations on his abilities. The reason for this implant is, I was born with no primary tooth under my baby tooth. It is the first molar in my lower. As a baby tooth, it was supposed to come out 42 years ago. The tooth finally came loose at age 53 and bacteria was working it's way to the root and was getting inflamed.

Has anyone had an implant done? I am a wimp about pain. The surgeon says, oh yeah, nothing to this, I've had people go back to work the same day. My oral surgeon, when I had my wisdom teeth pulled said the same thing, and that was total BS. I was bedridden on perocet for two days, and could barely get out of bed. I did go back to work day three, but that was the hard part. I had to wean off of the drugs, go back to work full time, and they next ten days had to fully function, with it difficult to eat, so very low energy, and it felt like someone beat my face with a baseball bat. It was the worst pain I've ever had.

Any feedback on pain and recovery would be much appreciated.

The wife has had two done. She said no pain, feels great after it's done. They are pretty pricey. (~$3K)

Good luck!

I had a consultation done last year as I have two crowns next to each other and the stem of one of them has broken completely off. My insurance covers nothing on implants but does cover a good percentage on bridges. The problem with the bridge is the have to ruin the two teeth next to the problem tooth to create the bridge. In my case, they ruin one good tooth and the other tooth that has a crown. Most recommendations I've received is to get the implant (including from my wife who has worked in a dentis office her entire life). I haven't decided what to do yet (the crown from my broken stem is currently glued to the root). One advantage to the bridge in my case is they can match the color for the the bridge to all my permanent teeth at the same time. If I opt for the implant they need to try and match that color to my permanent teeth and the good crown that still exists. I had a heckuva time trying to get a good match when the crowns were done so I am worried about that. Plus the cost is a big difference.

If I was in your shoes and only had one tooth to consider I would definitely get the implant as well. It's a long procedure however. I think the temporary tooth is in place for weeks and then the implant takes months to know if it worked properly or not.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the implant done a week ago Thurs. The fact that they were screwing a titanium plate into my jawbone, I expected some pain. I came home with 20 Perocets and 20 pills of 800 mgs of Ibuprofen, and only took two Percocets, and that was being proactive, anticipating pain after the local and general anethesia wore off. I never needed them. In ever needed the Ibuprfen for pain but took them for 24 hours to keep inflammation down. I slept through the first night with no discomfort ( I had the procedure at 8:30 am). I had no swelling or brusing of the face, but was told to expect quite a bit. I iced like crazy for 48 hours. Pretty amazing. The doc said "light exercise" for two weeks, but had the surgery done on Thursday, cleaned the house on Fri., rode my bike 30 miles each on Sat. and Sun., then skied, biked, and played tennis, the next week. I decided to skip my Crossfit/bootcamp class since there is a lot of weight lifting and jumping around, and the plate needs to stablize in the mouth which takes at least two weeks to happen. I'll go back to the class this coming week.

In 3-4 months I will have a false tooth screwed into the plate.

It cost me $2200, but I chose to be "alseep" which was about $600 of that. Then the restorative denistry portion will be an additional $2,000-2,500. Not cheap, but supposed to be longer lasting than a bridge and less risk of failing which could result in root canals or more teeth loss from the teeth supporting the bridge. It is also easier to clean and feels better. At least that's what I found researching it.

Anyway if anyone is having it done, I'd go to an oral surgeon (vs a dentist) who knows what they are doing, and if so, it will probably be a non-event. I had really healthy gum and bone so I didn't need any bone or gum grafts which creates 1-3 more surgeries, and a lot more expense.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Man that is expensive. I'm gonna be doing a dental procedure as well as soon as I am done with this feature. Mine involves full removal of all teeth however. 4 posts will be drilled in to mount the dentures and full procedure will last around 2 weeks for extractions/dentures etc etc. Total cost will be around $4,400. I can't imagine getting what having what you had done in my entire mouth. Glad to hear everything went well. Teeth problems are a bitch and embarrassing to talk about at times.

I had the implant done a week ago Thurs. The fact that they were screwing a titanium plate into my jawbone, I expected some pain. I came home with 20 Perocets and 20 pills of 800 mgs of Ibuprofen, and only took two Percocets, and that was being proactive, anticipating pain after the local and general anethesia wore off. I never needed them. In ever needed the Ibuprfen for pain but took them for 24 hours to keep inflammation down. I slept through the first night with no discomfort ( I had the procedure at 8:30 am). I had no swelling or brusing of the face, but was told to expect quite a bit. I iced like crazy for 48 hours. Pretty amazing. The doc said "light exercise" for two weeks, but had the surgery done on Thursday, cleaned the house on Fri., rode my bike 30 miles each on Sat. and Sun., then skied, biked, and played tennis, the next week. I decided to skip my Crossfit/bootcamp class since there is a lot of weight lifting and jumping around, and the plate needs to stablize in the mouth which takes at least two weeks to happen. I'll go back to the class this coming week.

In 3-4 months I will have a false tooth screwed into the plate.

It cost me $2200, but I chose to be "alseep" which was about $600 of that. Then the restorative denistry portion will be an additional $2,000-2,500. Not cheap, but supposed to be longer lasting than a bridge and less risk of failing which could result in root canals or more teeth loss from the teeth supporting the bridge. It is also easier to clean and feels better. At least that's what I found researching it.

Anyway if anyone is having it done, I'd go to an oral surgeon (vs a dentist) who knows what they are doing, and if so, it will probably be a non-event. I had really healthy gum and bone so I didn't need any bone or gum grafts which creates 1-3 more surgeries, and a lot more expense.

BTW, just reread and sorry for all the typos. I wrote this without reading glasses, a no-no when you are over 50-LOL

Yep had one done so far.... my front fang tooth (if you will) Just died and had it pulled 4 years ago went all fighter lookin for a while but got sick of not being able to smile without thinking I looked like a crackhead!! Did it awake which was cheaper and it was no pain just the sound of drilling my jaw bone I coulda done without but guy was good!! No pain next day or the next 4 months I waited for it to heal before I could get my tooth in! Best money I have spent in a while and have two more to do for back molars that cracked and got pulled due to wisdom teeth comin in sideways on the bottom and my stupidity of not having the wisdom teeth pulled before this occured. Anyway this is the only way to go if you can afford it!! Good Luck with the final product takes a little getting use to but a couple years later now it feels like a tooth again!! It feels dead for a while because you don't have that live tap the tooth and feel it feeling but that will pass. Hopefully the next two I get the prescription for 100 vicodin like I did the last time... I still have some left I get into every once in a while when I'm feeling frisky on a good night :wacko: Once again Good Luck sir!!