[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How much and what kind of insulation?

polksalet

I really like the idea of never having to worry about a termite or fire. Plus I also thought the all steel building wouldn't be much more than the wood framed model.

What are your thoughts on the type of building I'm looking at?

The metal building will cost less to insure, particularly if you use metal studs in the living area as well.

The metal building will cost less to insure, particularly if you use metal studs in the living area as well.

I can buy a lot of insurance for the 25k difference.

I can buy a lot of insurance for the 25k difference.

True. Before you commit any money to the wood structure, I'd ask for a structural layout, so you can see where you are going to have to have structural supports, as they may interfere with your intended use. I'm not quite clear as to what your intended use is. If it is just a dwelling, then wood makes all the sense in the world. If you are looking at building a large barn with a portion of it being a dwelling, and a good majority of it actually being a barn then I would think metal would make more sense.

True. Before you commit any money to the wood structure, I'd ask for a structural layout, so you can see where you are going to have to have structural supports, as they may interfere with your intended use. I'm not quite clear as to what your intended use is. If it is just a dwelling, then wood makes all the sense in the world. If you are looking at building a large barn with a portion of it being a dwelling, and a good majority of it actually being a barn then I would think metal would make more sense.

1800 sq ft residence

600 sg ft gym/shop

I really like the idea of never having to worry about a termite or fire. Plus I also thought the all steel building wouldn't be much more than the wood framed model.

What are your thoughts on the type of building I'm looking at?

This won't help the fire rating, Polk....but I've seen this stuff used more and more.

BluWood I'd guess the price is probably inbetween your basic wood structure and a metal one.

Mold resistant and pest resistant.

Perch...SEC....you guys work with this stuff at all?

This won't help the fire rating, Polk....but I've seen this stuff used more and more.

BluWood I'd guess the price is probably inbetween your basic wood structure and a metal one.

Mold resistant and pest resistant.

Perch...SEC....you guys work with this stuff at all?

I'm not familiar with it, but the only wood you will find on any of our jobs is non-com 2X for blocking and wolmanized 2X and plywood for roof nailers and the occasional decking. The only wood structures we've ever built in the last 30 years have been our own houses, and if I ever build another house, I'll use concrete in lieu of wood for the load bearing walls, and metal studs for the interior non-bearing walls.

Edited by Perchoutofwater