[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Teachers

Brentastic

I think this could be the number one reason why some teachers retire early. :lol:

Excerpts from english papers

link

28. It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall. :wacko: Spoken like he had experience w/ this! :tup:

I have a friend who both he and his wife teach, both in the Special School District. Not the "hardcore special", rather the "not good in certain areas" type of students. His response has always been, "those who can't do, teach." And then he laughs really hard. After talking with them over the years, I agree with the Master's degree comment(s). Although my buddy got in at a charter (Gateway Tech, for those of you in STL) and has worked his way up since starting as a noob. Amazing to hear the stories about other teachers (you name it), how he had to buy himself a new whiteboard (to replace an actual chalkboard which was deteriorated) and all kinds of supplies every year, and how he uses rap lyrics to keep the kid's attention in class and earn some "cred". But it works for him, and he seems to really like it. Admittedly, he doesn't care too much for the P-T conferences.

One thing you may also want to consider is being a professor for a weekend class or something at a local college. Could be a good way to help decide. I look back at when I switched majors in college from education to marketing. I bounced around for several years after graduating, until I literally massively lucked into a job offer as a Software Trainer. Best thing that has ever happened to me, and I still tell the guys who hired me in that I owe them for a lot of where my career is today (they're all in my league). Maybe that's an option too? With your finance background, you could possibly have a lot to offer college students, people changing careers, or new hires in a financial company...??? Of course, if you're dead-set on grade school teaching, this all may be moot.

I have a friend who both he and his wife teach, both in the Special School District. Not the "hardcore special", rather the "not good in certain areas" type of students. His response has always been, "those who can't do, teach." And then he laughs really hard. After talking with them over the years, I agree with the Master's degree comment(s). Although my buddy got in at a charter (Gateway Tech, for those of you in STL) and has worked his way up since starting as a noob. Amazing to hear the stories about other teachers (you name it), how he had to buy himself a new whiteboard (to replace an actual chalkboard which was deteriorated) and all kinds of supplies every year, and how he uses rap lyrics to keep the kid's attention in class and earn some "cred". But it works for him, and he seems to really like it. Admittedly, he doesn't care too much for the P-T conferences.

One thing you may also want to consider is being a professor for a weekend class or something at a local college. Could be a good way to help decide. I look back at when I switched majors in college from education to marketing. I bounced around for several years after graduating, until I literally massively lucked into a job offer as a Software Trainer. Best thing that has ever happened to me, and I still tell the guys who hired me in that I owe them for a lot of where my career is today (they're all in my league). Maybe that's an option too? With your finance background, you could possibly have a lot to offer college students, people changing careers, or new hires in a financial company...??? Of course, if you're dead-set on grade school teaching, this all may be moot.

My rich uncle always says the bolded part above to me. Last time he was in town, we had a huge argument about it because he's one of those elitist rich pricks who thinks making money is the only thing that matters in life. He kept telling me how teachers are losers because they can't do and I was defending that there is a need for all types of people in the world and also that his assumption is way off base.

But moving on, good post, thanks for sharing. I think ultimately I would like to teach at the college level, CC or otherwise but I would most definitely need to get my Masters which I don't plan on doing as of right now. Maybe I start at the grade school or high school level and get paid by my employer (school) to get my masters?

But moving on, good post, thanks for sharing. I think ultimately I would like to teach at the college level, CC or otherwise but I would most definitely need to get my Masters which I don't plan on doing as of right now. Maybe I start at the grade school or high school level and get paid by my employer (school) to get my masters?

Here in California, you need a credential to teach at any public level. Lots of different programs where you can get one in a school year or less. Not that our education system is in a good spot right now.

To teach community college, you need to have a masters in the specific field you want to teach.

There are exceptions of course.

Edited by kpholmes

My rich uncle always says the bolded part above to me. Last time he was in town, we had a huge argument about it because he's one of those elitist rich pricks who thinks making money is the only thing that matters in life. He kept telling me how teachers are losers because they can't do and I was defending that there is a need for all types of people in the world and also that his assumption is way off base.

schools dont pay for you to get your masters you have to pay for that on your own .

schools dont pay for you to get your masters you have to pay for that on your own .

True-after you spend many$$ to get the 45 credits usually needed for the masters then you get a bump on the pay scale. You will never make up in $$ what you paid to get it,

Don't know if this is a fit or not, but a pretty good friend of mine works for Unlocking Potential, a non profit group that turns around failing urban schools. A lot of their approach is about having the right people, not just people with the "right" credentials.

http://www.unlocking-potential.org/

If you want to speak to someone there (he's Boston based but might be able to speak to other areas as well) I could hook that up.

D

Another one occured to me after I finished that post

http://www.citizenschools.org/

Very cool program about how you can teach without having to change your career. I know their "Chief Mobilization" officer, he's a fairly crazy busy guy but if after checking out the website you had some interest in understanding more I could help.

D