[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

interesting explanation about corporate taxes

Azazello1313

Hmm . . I dont think that taking a capital gains tax from 15% to 25% would completely end all investment and somehow end all job creation . . .

The rate of return is still a helluva lot better than the current CD rates or letting it just sit around in a savings account.

You assume that all of your investments make money. This risk warrants the higher return.

So then we don't want corporations taxed at the same rate as individuals? At first that's what was said but now we've got a page of exceptions.

:wacko:

I don't see that anyone is making exceptions to that, other than the one I made here:

I'd like to see corporations and individuals taxed at the same rate, preferably a flat rate once a individual is over the poverty line, or a corporation is over $X in income per employee. I'd like to see all loopholes with the exception of charitable donations removed.

The reason I made that exception as just as the poverty line shifts based on the number of dependents, the "corporate poverty line" would need to shift based on the number of employees, plus this helps to provide additional incentive to hire people. One change you could make to what I stated above would be "a corporations is taxed on all income over $X per employee that is a US citizen or documented foreign." This would help to reduce outsourcing as well as the hiring of undocumented workers.

What we've been talking about exceptions to, is capital gains being taxed at the same rate as individuals, not corporations. I think corporations should be taxed at the same rate as individuals, and I think that all individuals should be taxed at the same rate on every dollar they make over the poverty line. I think capital gains that are not reinvested should within a relatively short time frame should also be taxed at the same rate as individuals.

What we've been talking about exceptions to, is capital gains being taxed at the same rate as individuals, not corporations. I think corporations should be taxed at the same rate as individuals, and I think that all individuals should be taxed at the same rate on every dollar they make over the poverty line. I think capital gains that are not reinvested should within a relatively short time frame should also be taxed at the same rate as individuals.

I guess I don't see why there is a need for a tax break for re-investment of capital gains.

It spurs job creation. More jobs means less people on the government teat.

Then it is remarkable with corporate profits at an all time high, all time holdings of case and dividends being paid, and a lower tax rate already, that more jobs arent being created . . . . :wacko:

Then it is remarkable with corporate profits at an all time high, all time holdings of case and dividends being paid, and a lower tax rate already, that more jobs arent being created . . . . :wacko:

Go back and read what I've written. Where do I say businesses need tax breaks? I want them taxed at the same rate as individuals. I just think there should be a poverty line just like there is for individuals, and that just like the poverty line for a family of 4 is higher than that of a family of 2, the poverty line of a business employing 100 people should be higher than one employing 20 people.

Still what you quoted me on was not regarding how businesses are taxed, but how capital gains are taxed. If there is more money available to invest in new businesses (not ones making record profits) then the start up cost for these new businesses will be less, which means more new businesses, and more new employees. I don't know why you can't wrap your mind around that. You don't seem to understand we are talking about two different things.

As to all time profits for corporations, some of those that have and are surviving are making all time profits, that is what happens when your competition goes out of business or has to significantly scale back. If you make it easier to start new businesses which what I'm talking about would do, you would see some competition, so the corporations that you seem to hate so much would not be making as large of profits. You would also see more people working. Still I don't know why I'm even discussing this, as it has no bearing on what we've actually been talking about, but is some tangent you've brought in.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

FWIW, according to Value Line, the average dividend yield is 1.9%.

Don't get too caught up in the tax rates on dividends.

Most companies are smart enough to know that the best way to "return money to the shareholders" is in share repurchases.