[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's hard being a teacher

muck

my wife is a kindergarten teacher, they are not allowed to do anything other than one to two warnings of verbal discipline before sending the kid to the principal.

On another note that the article touched on, her classroom is video monitored (as are all the classrooms in the school), so there is a video record of anything that goes down. All for legal reasons. :wacko:

Edited by jetsfan

The real scandal is that our teachers are desperate enough to abdicate or absent themselves when kids have tantrums. This is due to a series of changes in precedent, statute and regulation that took place over decades. The changes were well- intentioned, says Philip Howard, founder of Common Good, a nonpartisan legal reform group that works on education issues. But over time, “law, like acid, has corroded teacher authority,” Howard said.

Teachers, Howard says, now ask themselves: “Why take the risk of legal hearings or threats by an angry parent?” It’s easier to dial 911. The child’s rights may win in such a case, but the child does not.

Wow somebody gets it. Too bad she's just spitting into the wind.

I wish I had a nickel for every time a kid coloring Easter eggs got out of hand and had to be taken away by the authorities.

Obtw, I didn't think that you could acknowledge religion at school? Not that I am opposed to it. In fact I'm kind of glad that my kids went to a small town school where that wasn't a problem.

Coloring eggs is more of a spring thing than an overtly religious thing.

IIRC, "colored eggs" are referenced in the Bible as often as "Santa Claus".

I see your point. My wife worked in a school where if she had kids coloring eggs this close to Easter time that she would've gotten a phone call from a parent in that situation. Some people try really hard to be a-holes.