[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kaepernick

mattk53

Being a Niner fan, I felt burned by the SF brass picking QB's over the past 20 years (Post-Joe)! High picks like Carmazzi, Drunkenmiller and Smith come to mind. Does anyone know anything about Colin Kaepernick? I know Nevada beat both Boise State and Cal last season and I have also read his Bio on NFL.com. I just fear that he's a tall, skinny, athletic, system QB, from a small school who can't take a snap from a center and has accuracy problems.

Sound like Alex Smith to anyone else?

I don't think he's exactly skinny if that helps.

Two things I'm thinking about to come to peace with the situation.

1) Who's to say that Alex Smith wouldn't have turned out better had he not had something like 5 different OCs in his first 5 years? So, even if there's some things in common, that might not be horrible.

2) Harbaugh moved up to take him, so maybe he sees something he likes. And we could certainly do worse in terms of having a coach who can develop a QB.

If the kid is smart, I can't see how the "never took a snap under center" thing is going to kill him. They make it sound like astrophysics or something. Ponder is the only QB taken in the top 5 who is a prototypical NFL-style QB. So that says how much NFL teams are concerned about that.

I guess that takes us out of the Kolb sweepstakes, though. And that leads me to believe that SF is going to go after an older FA QB. They've got too many pieces in place and the division is too up-for-grabs for them to waste a year or two struggling behind that kid.

It appears they want to bring Alex Smith back and let Kaepernick sit, watch and develop. I think we may see a lot of teams try and emulate what worked for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

If I were Alex Smith, I would not want to come back because it would be obvious that they really want Kaepernick to be the guy. At the same time, if Smith has a chance to start, he kind of has to take it. Because getting the opportunity is the only way to try and keep the job.

It appears they want to bring Alex Smith back and let Kaepernick sit, watch and develop. I think we may see a lot of teams try and emulate what worked for Aaron Rodgers and the Packers.

If I were Alex Smith, I would not want to come back because it would be obvious that they really want Kaepernick to be the guy. At the same time, if Smith has a chance to start, he kind of has to take it. Because getting the opportunity is the only way to try and keep the job.

According to Harbaugh, they think Smith will re-sign but that it will be an open competition. Link

I would prefer that they bring in a proven vet and just put the kid to school.

Edited by detlef

I'm scared of that windup and delivery. The place I thought he has stood out was interviews. Humble and competitive kid that appears capable of original thought. I just hate that throwing motion.

Special K is NFL ready. If he sits a year, fine but don't be surprised if he's inserted at some point. I had him rated as my #3 QB of the draft.

I would imagine that has a lot to do with how soon these guys can get to work.