[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The last combat veteran of the Great War has died

wiegie

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/05/04/ww...ed-family-says/

Last WWI Vet Has Died, Family Says

Published May 04, 2011

Associated Press

SYDNEY -- Claude Stanley Choules, the last known combat veteran of World War I, has died.

His daughter Daphne Edinger told The Associated Press that British-born Choules -- nicknamed "Chuckles" by comrades -- died in a nursing home Thursday in his adopted home of Australia.

He was 110.

Choules joined the British navy as a teenager and served on the battleship HMS Revenge, from which he watched the 1918 surrender of the German High Seas Fleet.

He later migrated to Australia and served in the military for more than 40 years.

According to the Order of the First World War, a group that tracks veterans, Choules and another Briton, Florence Green, were the last known surviving service members from the conflict. Green served as a waitress in the Women's Royal Air Force.

Yeah I shudder to even think about the trench warfare etc. Almost as sad to me is how few people get what an amazing link to history that guy was and that there was still someone even around from that war. I wonder if he had any recent interviews.

I was coming by to post on this. Amazing, amazing stuff. I've been researching the hell out of this conflict with book purchases and recently (shockingly) found out about this doc on World War 1

It came out a full ten years before "World at War" which is the WW2 show that ran 26 parts and was narrated by Olivier in the 1970s. "The Great War" was the 26 part doc they modeled "World at War" after. It's the most vast collection of WW1 vets interviews around, since it was assembled in 1960. It was aired twice in 30 years and recently made it to DVD in the UK for the first time in the past few months. Worth every minute to watch.

If you search 'great war' on this guy's channel he's got a bunch up.

I was coming by to post on this. Amazing, amazing stuff. I've been researching the hell out of this conflict with book purchases and recently (shockingly) found out about this doc on World War 1

It came out a full ten years before "World at War" which is the WW2 show that ran 26 parts and was narrated by Olivier in the 1970s. "The Great War" was the 26 part doc they modeled "World at War" after. It's the most vast collection of WW1 vets interviews around, since it was assembled in 1960. It was aired twice in 30 years and recently made it to DVD in the UK for the first time in the past few months. Worth every minute to watch.

If you search 'great war' on this guy's channel he's got a bunch up.

I'm going to check that out...thanks! :tup:

I have also had an increasing interest in WWI. I've read several books now and am looking for others. When Frank Buckles died in February, I told the better half about it...:wacko: