[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer Virus

Footballjoe

Got a major virus. Went to talk to the Geek Squad about it. Since nothing was of any value on the computer I just wiped everything out and started over. While I was in there 3 people came in with the same problem. Guy I was talking to says its that way often. Says the security companies are trying but can't keep up with the virus. Said something like 75,000 new ones a day. Holy cow. back up that system if you have important stuff on it.

They lied to you. While there might be that many virus's a day, I guarantee the main issue is spyware. Maybe not YOUR issue, but the most common problem is spyware. They will pass it off as a virus, and charge you a buttload of money. You can usually clean spyware for free. Malware bytes is probably the best for spyware IMO.

They lied to you. While there might be that many virus's a day, I guarantee the main issue is spyware. Maybe not YOUR issue, but the most common problem is spyware. They will pass it off as a virus, and charge you a buttload of money. You can usually clean spyware for free. Malware bytes is probably the best for spyware IMO.

We've had this conversation before. It usually takes a combination of several anti-spyware/malware programs to get everything off your computer. Don't just rely on just one. I once again spent this very morning removing something evil my wife found on the Internet over the weekend. It took scans from two different programs plus some additional software downloaded to get rid of it. F'ers.

We've had this conversation before. It usually takes a combination of several anti-spyware/malware programs to get everything off your computer. Don't just rely on just one. I once again spent this very morning removing something evil my wife found on the Internet over the weekend. It took scans from two different programs plus some additional software downloaded to get rid of it. F'ers.

Yep.

Although Peepin is right about malware rather than pure viruses being the most common now. The major point these days isn't destruction, it's stealth control of armies of unsuspecting PCs infected by bots that either capture keystrokes and passwords or become zombie slaves for mass attacks elsewhere.