[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Congressman Dana Rohrabacher

bushwacked

“Is there some thought being given to subsidizing the clearing of rain forests in order for some countries to eliminate that production of greenhouse gases?” the congressman asked Mr. Stern, according to Politico.

“Or would people be supportive of cutting down older trees in order to plant younger trees as a means to prevent this disaster from happening?” [Rohrabacher] continued.

Forestry experts were dumbfounded by Mr. Rohrabacher’s line of questioning, noting that the world’s forests currently absorb far more carbon dioxide than they emit — capturing roughly one-third of all man-made emissions and helping mitigate climate change.

“He’s seriously confused,” said Oliver Phillips, a professor of geography at the University of Leeds in Britain and an expert on terrestrial carbon storage. “He’s just got half of the equation. Natural things decay, of course, but they also grow.”

The idea that cutting down forests would result in a net reduction of emissions is “crazy,” Dr Phillips added. “The need is to reduce deforestation.”

Senior GOP Leader on Science! :wacko:

“Is there some thought being given to subsidizing the clearing of rain forests in order for some countries to eliminate that production of greenhouse gases?” the congressman asked Mr. Stern

You've got to wonder about the IQ of our elected leaders. :wacko:

Oh so he's a Baptist who doesn't understand how trees work who supports the Taliban. I bet this guy is awesome at parties.

Dana Rohrabacher voiced support for the Taliban when they seized power in the 1990s, visiting Afghanistan when it came under their control, saying that the Taliban would provide "stability", and eliminate threats to the United States. He also claimed the Taliban "intend to establish a disciplined, moral society". He said he believed complete Taliban control over Afghanistan would be a "positive development", that they were "devout traditionalists, not terrorists or revolutionaries", and that "sensationalist" media coverage of the Taliban's introduction of Sharia law was "nonsense".[16]

On April 10, 2001 it was revealed that Rohrabacher met with top Taliban leader Mullah Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil, a foreign minister who directly advised Taliban leader Mullah Mohammed Omar in Doha, Qatar, where they discussed possible American assistance to the Taliban, including financial aid.

k, forgive me for inserting some science in this man love circle. Young trees really do produce far more oxygen than older trees and also produce far less CO2 via decay. Therefore if we really did clearcut all of the old growth rain forests and plant with young trees we would have a much higher ratio of oxygen/CO2 transfer.

But then again I only have 20 years of industrial forestry experience. And an IQ over 8 doesn't hurt.

Speaking of which http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard...million-degrees

and

If you morons had the sense you would be ashamed of yourself for your mockery of science.

k, forgive me for inserting some science in this man love circle. Young trees really do produce far more oxygen than older trees and also produce far less CO2 via decay. Therefore if we really did clearcut all of the old growth rain forests and plant with young trees we would have a much higher ratio of oxygen/CO2 transfer.

But then again I only have 20 years of industrial forestry experience. And an IQ over 8 doesn't hurt.

Speaking of which http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard...million-degrees

and

If you morons had the sense you would be ashamed of yourself for your mockery of science.

It got real quiet in here after you posted this. Probably upset you broke up their liberal posting orgy. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

How many years of experience did the terrestrial carbon exchange expert quoted in the original article have? How does the carbon exchange work when a rain forest is burnt to the ground? What happens to the land after deforestation? While your point about the transfer ratio is true, it's one factor in a complex flux and mature rainforests are ultimately large carbon sinks.

Per University of Mich:

One of the factors adding to the warming of the earth is an increase in greenhouse gasses, such as CO2, contributed by human practices such as the burning of fossil fuels. The canopy of the Amazon rainforest is a major player in the amount of CO2 that is cleaned out of the atmosphere. However current anthropogenic practices, such as deforestation for farmland or wood capital, lead to a major change (i.e. decrease) in woodland in the Amazonian demographic. Not only does this lead to a decrease in habitat for tropical species, but it also reduce the amount of trees helping to rid the atmosphere of CO2 and other greenhouse gasses. Furthermore, the practice of burning to clear woodland leads to a massive release of CO2 into the atmosphere, as the carbon that was stored in the tree itself is discharged back into the air during combustion. Therefore, deforestation of the Amazon rainforest leads not only to a reduction of the amount of CO2 taken out of the atmosphere, but also to an increased release of CO2 in the atmosphere.

Polk, at the University of the Backwoods did they also teach you that running your air conditioners full-blast with all the windows open will help fight global warming?

Edited by bushwacked

Polk, at the University of the Backwoods did they also teach you that running your air conditioners full-blast with all the windows open will help fight global warming?

I dont think they can afford air conditioners in Oklahoma . . . .I named the path we took driving through that state the "trail of tears".

:wacko:

Actually polk it seems you are talking about a forestry myth.

Dr. Ho, actually that is not true. Much of the carbon that will get released is in the soil in the form of roots and such. The last quote in the article by Dr. Law is to that point. What you and Mr. Rohrabacher are saying is complete myth, perpetuated by the timber industry for over a decade, and has been refuted many times by scientists.