[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At what age can a boy start mowing the lawn?

SayItAintSoJoe

Lawn Mowing Chore  

48 members have voted

1. 1. At what age can a boy stat mowing the lawn (from a safety standpoint)?

• 43 (Puddy's age)

Funny, I've thought about this from time to time as an adult... I was 11 when I started and it was a competitive market to get yards to cut. Several buddies of mine where cutting lawns in the neighborhood I grew up in and you had to get your houses locked up if you were gonna make some money. I

As an adult, I now live in a big neighborhood with lots of kids and I have yet to have any of them come by asking for business. This is going on 6 years in the current neighborhood and 6 in my old neighborhood. Seriously, not one kid. Is that no longer a means for kids to make money today? Anyway, just an observation... I didn't know if that's one of those things kids don't get to do anymore or if it is beneath them, etc. How is it where you are?

We've never had a kid ask to cut the grass or shovel snow. I think kids are lazy anymore.

Funny, I've thought about this from time to time as an adult... I was 11 when I started and it was a competitive market to get yards to cut. Several buddies of mine where cutting lawns in the neighborhood I grew up in and you had to get your houses locked up if you were gonna make some money. I

As an adult, I now live in a big neighborhood with lots of kids and I have yet to have any of them come by asking for business. This is going on 6 years in the current neighborhood and 6 in my old neighborhood. Seriously, not one kid. Is that no longer a means for kids to make money today? Anyway, just an observation... I didn't know if that's one of those things kids don't get to do anymore or if it is beneath them, etc. How is it where you are?

Kids don't do this or the newspaper deliveries anymore because they are all rackets now. Mexican Mafia runs the lawncare industry at half the price kids would charge and the Russians seem to have the newspaper deliveries sealed down... it isn't kids on bikes anymore it is middle aged men in minivans hitting up 5-10 neighborhoods in the time it took a kid ti ride around one.

As for my kids, I start them at about 1 to 1 1/2... figure holding on to the mower helps with their balance since they are starting to walk.

In all reality, it is very kid dependent.

Kids don't do this or the newspaper deliveries anymore because they are all rackets now. Mexican Mafia runs the lawncare industry at half the price kids would charge and the Russians seem to have the newspaper deliveries sealed down... it isn't kids on bikes anymore it is middle aged men in minivans hitting up 5-10 neighborhoods in the time it took a kid ti ride around one.

This.......

We've never had a kid ask to cut the grass or shovel snow. I think kids are lazy anymore.

...........but mostly this. I would add that most parents aren't keen on their kids being at strange houses plus they give the kids an allowance for nothing, so why work?

For me, never. Mowing the grass is the only hour of peace and quiet I get during the week.

Yep, my dad never once let me mow the lawn. Made for an interesting first couple tries when I first got my own place. Now, I get the MP3 player in and I enjoy it myself. It gets a bit expensive for me though because it's one of the very few times where I still chew tobacco. By the time I have to mow the lawn again, tobacco is dried out and I have to buy a new can.

you sound like tommy lee jones in "no country for old men" :wacko:

And there you have it. At 35.56% 12 years of age wins out.

My son is 11 and I was starting to push the idea around here of him taking over the lawn cutting duties but it looks like he has won a reprieve for at least another year. Needless to say my wife thought that he should be older, like 13 or 14, but she has agreed to take up the issue again next year.

My son thanks you.

my son started this year-10 3/4. we have a zero turn that he can operate easily. he loves it but mom is mad as now she does not have the 1 of peace every couple of days.

Clearly, this is the problem. It's not about the kid doing something, it's about getting Dad out of the house for a while. Be wary of voodoo dolls next.

my son started this year-10 3/4. we have a zero turn that he can operate easily. he loves it but mom is mad as now she does not have the 1 of peace every couple of days.

Those things are fun as hell to drive. My brother-in-law and I used to have a lawn business and we'd fight over who got to drive the Exmark zero-turn.