[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Home Theatre Setup

rhippens

Need to rely on my Huddle experts for some advice.

I want a pretty basic set up to replace my old Onkyo component system.

I have a PS2 but am probably not a big enough gamer anymore to upgrade to PS3 at the moment.

My TV is a Sharp regular HD, but I would imagine the TV would get upgraded before this new system ever does.

So right now I'm looking at the Sony BDVE780W because it's got the Blu-Ray and 3D if I ever go that direction.

I'm thinking I could deal with the direct connect of the PS2 to the TV inputs, have rear wireless speakers, and be able to ditch my old standard DVD player.

My budget isn't huge.

Am I looking in the right direction or does someone have a similarly priced system they would highly recommend?

Am I missing anything here as I'm thinking this through?

(If anyone wants an old Onkyo component system for parts or their garage, let me know.)

Edited by rhippens

:wacko: It's been awhile since I've been in the market for AV stuff, but I always do my research over at AVS forums. They have some super-geeks that go to far, but there are usually plenty of regular people on there looking for someone to point them in the right direction. Wish I could be of more help but the part #s change every 6 months so it is hard to keep up.

just make sure you use a fiber optic audio cable to hook your TV into the home theater so whatever is playing on the TV will play through your system via digital input....

considering HD cable doesn't really offer flawless audio, you won't need to hook that up to the home theater or the PS2 (or PS3 for that matter because you can't hook up the optical audio cable to a home theater from that either)...

pretty much 2 wires...

HDMI and Fiber-Optic Audio cable...from your home theater to the HDTV and you're all set...

I just recently upgraded my AV receiver to a Denon model that has multiple HDMI inputs, and an ipod input on the front of the unit. The only things I have plugged in to the receiver are my Comcast HD cable DVR, and my PS3. This is great because I only have one HDMI input that needs to go to the tv...it will run all the video and audio.

The PS3 is a great unit because it can play blu-rays, DVDS, and is great for streaming in Netflix, even wirelessly. I never use it for games...my kids do sometimes, but very rarely.

What are you going to do for speakers? Upgrading, or keeping your same setup?

I have a sound bar system for my main TV. In the bedroom I have a 32" TV paired with an old Sony receiver (at least 12 years old) and a pair of Cerwin Vega tower speakers I bought on Ebay for $75. I would say the sound quality is about equal between the two. I've had full surround setups in the past and may venture into that again when we move, but I don't feel it is 100% necessary. Sometimes the sounds coming at you from everywhere can get a little hokey and distracting.

I just recently upgraded my AV receiver to a Denon model that has multiple HDMI inputs, and an ipod input on the front of the unit. The only things I have plugged in to the receiver are my Comcast HD cable DVR, and my PS3. This is great because I only have one HDMI input that needs to go to the tv...it will run all the video and audio.

The PS3 is a great unit because it can play blu-rays, DVDS, and is great for streaming in Netflix, even wirelessly. I never use it for games...my kids do sometimes, but very rarely.

What are you going to do for speakers? Upgrading, or keeping your same setup?

that Sony system i mentioned is pretty much an in-the-box deal with speakers included.

I have a sound bar system for my main TV. In the bedroom I have a 32" TV paired with an old Sony receiver (at least 12 years old) and a pair of Cerwin Vega tower speakers I bought on Ebay for $75. I would say the sound quality is about equal between the two. I've had full surround setups in the past and may venture into that again when we move, but I don't feel it is 100% necessary. Sometimes the sounds coming at you from everywhere can get a little hokey and distracting.

I had a Polk Audio sound bar system that was $999 at Best Buy...I bought the display for a little under $400.....great system...but I sold it and replaced it with a Panasonic 7.1 Blu-ray home theater with the rear wireless speakers...

based on the effort I put in with wiring the system and installing everything, I still regret ditching the sound bar even though what I have now is considered an upgrade....nightmares still get the best of me from running wires and drilling holes in the ceiling etc. and using the staple gun...etc. etc.

the upgrade is definitely not worth it...at least to me anyways...regardless of how much better the sound is..

Need to rely on my Huddle experts for some advice.

I want a pretty basic set up to replace my old Onkyo component system.

I have a PS2 but am probably not a big enough gamer anymore to upgrade to PS3 at the moment.

My TV is a Sharp regular HD, but I would imagine the TV would get upgraded before this new system ever does.

So right now I'm looking at the Sony BDVE780W because it's got the Blu-Ray and 3D if I ever go that direction.

I'm thinking I could deal with the direct connect of the PS2 to the TV inputs, have rear wireless speakers, and be able to ditch my old standard DVD player.

My budget isn't huge.

Am I looking in the right direction or does someone have a similarly priced system they would highly recommend?

Am I missing anything here as I'm thinking this through?

(If anyone wants an old Onkyo component system for parts or their garage, let me know.)

As always your best option is to pick a budget, then go listen to comparatively priced options at a small hometheater/audio store not called Best Buy. People don't realize how much of a difference just changing one component in a system can make.

Now much like Avernus, I haven't kept up with the latest items out there, but it is worth looking at the AVSforum because sometimes, certain designs can just be crap regardless of who's name is on the front.

One last thing, I used to be a big believer in fiber optic cables, now I would suggest a digital audio coax cable instead. Bits is bits as they say and there is no chance of accidentally kinking the digital cable.

I had a Polk Audio sound bar system that was $999 at Best Buy...I bought the display for a little under $400.....great system...but I sold it and replaced it with a Panasonic 7.1 Blu-ray home theater with the rear wireless speakers...

based on the effort I put in with wiring the system and installing everything, I still regret ditching the sound bar even though what I have now is considered an upgrade....nightmares still get the best of me from running wires and drilling holes in the ceiling etc. and using the staple gun...etc. etc.

the upgrade is definitely not worth it...at least to me anyways...regardless of how much better the sound is..

If I were starting from scratch I'd probably just buy the best tower speakers I could afford and a mid-range receiver. Those used CVs deliver crisp highs/movie dialog and good bass. I don't need a center or sub. Others may want to spend the money for the whole movie theater experience at home...I watch plenty of movies and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

If I were starting from scratch I'd probably just buy the best tower speakers I could afford and a mid-range receiver. Those used CVs deliver crisp highs/movie dialog and good bass. I don't need a center or sub. Others may want to spend the money for the whole movie theater experience at home...I watch plenty of movies and don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I disagree...I find that the center speaker is the most important...and then the sub....the left and right speakers come after those in my progression..