[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QE3 on the horizon?

Brentastic

I'm just happy you're adding to the discussion and not flaming away. This makes me happy and welcome to the discussion :wacko:

I'm not saying we wouldn't have to work, the difference to me is that we would be working for each other not for own personal gain. That's the direction I think we should be heading toward. Working to enhance all of mankind, not just a select few with a determined hierarchy.

I still feel that you are giving people way too much credit.

I'm honest enough to admit I'm not interested in working harder than the guy down the street to make sure he has food, clothing, and shelter, or as you put it "working for each other". I would do the minimum required to get my free allotment and spend my new found freedom working on my landscaping and home to make it better or hunting and fishing more (both direct benefits to me and my family).

Sorry to disappoint you. Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that I'm in the vast majority.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying we wouldn't have to work, the difference to me is that we would be working for each other not for own personal gain.

A large segment of society is already working for the betterment of humanity: teachers, police and firefighters. They certainly are not doing it to get rich.

I would also argue that most engineers are working to better the world. With the exception (from teachers) that we are relatively well compensated for the amount of education and mental discipline the field requires.

actually ....I went back to read it and have no recollection of typing the word "apathetic"....is this a Huddle censor?...the word apathetic stuck out to me because it's not even what I was thinking....seriously, it's funny that you pointed that out...because it's not what I was trying to say...

I originally used the word apathetic. I believe you were quoting my post.

and people enjoy their job because it's making ends meet and they want to provide for their family, but you're talking about the middle class which is currently being wiped out.....I'm talking about the lower class considering I live in Philly and I would rather uplift the lower class than lower the middle which is currently happening in our broken system....

You just hit on one of my other major problems with most of these ideologies like a resource based economy. It seems like the majority of authors and/or proponents are from a metropolitan background. Pull up a map of the United States and compare the area occupied by major metropolitan areas, such as Philly, to the rest of the country. I feel sorry for you suckers that are stacked on top of each other in some "wonderful" city somewhere. Maybe, you should spend some time out here for a while. You might realize that things aren't so bad and that us rednecks are way more in touch with "the environment" than you think.

A large segment of society is already working for the betterment of humanity: teachers, police and firefighters. They certainly are not doing it to get rich.

Good point.

I would also argue that most a fair percentage of engineers are working to better the world.

Fixed

I originally used the word apathetic. I believe you were quoting my post.

You just hit on one of my other major problems with most of these ideologies like a resource based economy. It seems like the majority of authors and/or proponents are from a metropolitan background. Pull up a map of the United States and compare the area occupied by major metropolitan areas, such as Philly, to the rest of the country. I feel sorry for you suckers that are stacked on top of each other in some "wonderful" city somewhere. Maybe, you should spend some time out here for a while. You might realize that things aren't so bad and that us rednecks are way more in touch with "the environment" than you think.

I tried to find where you used it and couldn't find it and when I re-read what I typed it didn't feel like I was saying what I was trying to say...

and I much rather live outside the city and on a farm, but my current situation forces my hand...I am not a sucker because that would imply that I really had a choice at this time and I don't, but when I do have the choice I am out of here as of yesterday....and I don't think "rednecks" are out of touch with the environment...I hate the city life and there are far too many people bottled up in such a small area, it's suffocating here..

there are too many cities like Philly and I don't even necessarily mean places in the US but globally people should not be starving as we eat in excess and waste it in such a manner as well...while some countries have whole families that eat less than I do in a day....well, maybe two days...compared to their one..this should not be..

Considering our whole country is about individual liberties and "I gots to get mine, so F you" mentality, I am curious to hear how we can transform to one big happy commune sharing everything while discouraging individualism.

Averneus, when you trade in your Scrooge McDuck collection of silver at the end of the world and buy real estate, will you then give that real estate away for the betterment of humaity and your fellow man to people that need it more than you do? You are a good man Charlie Brown . . . .

Considering our whole country is about individual liberties and "I gots to get mine, so F you" mentality, I am curious to hear how we can transform to one big happy commune sharing everything while discouraging individualism.

Averneus, when you trade in your Scrooge McDuck collection of silver at the end of the world and buy real estate, will you then give that real estate away for the betterment of humaity and your fellow man to people that need it more than you do? You are a good man Charlie Brown . . . .

why would I do that when we are in a monetary system ?...I already stated how far away such a system would be a couple of posts ago....and it's well beyond my lifetime...

Seems to me that the argument being presented here is that of the kibbutz, probably the purest form of communism. Kibbutzism works quite well on a small scale given ideologically dedicated people but quite clearly it doesn't work on any kind of scale beyond tiny.

Communism is a colossal failure because it denies the basics of human nature.

Wirehairman has it absolutely right - who is going to bust a gut manually toiling (it will have to be manual because no-one will be manning the agricultural machinery factories) in the fields all day to provide food for a bunch of guitar strumming hippies lying around back at the kibbutz?

You might realize that things aren't so bad and that us rednecks are way more in touch with "the environment" than you think.

what do you mean by "in touch"?

First, unintentionally made a generalization about Avernus that I do not know to be true. Sorry.

Secondly, rural residents are too often stereotyped as roaring through the woods in jacked up 4x4's shooting everything in sight. I think ranchers and farmers that work spreads that have been in their family for generations are a lot more tuned into the world around them than the weekend sightseers from the cities that think they know a better way to run our state. The wolves in Yellowstone are a good example. Proposals (by a New Jersey organization) to turn large portions of northeastern Montana into a buffalo pasture with nothing but yurts is another great example.

actually, here in Colorado, the stereotype is more along the lines of 'rednecks' running wire across trails pissed at the city-folk tearing up their woods on those crap-ass ATVs.

Need to add that to my bag of tricks. Thanks. :tup::wacko: