[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need a whole new bathroom...what to expect?

Puddy

I'm going to be forking over for the exact same thing next year. I was considering saving some money by having the tb re-lined rather than replaced since we only use it to stand in for the shower anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether that's a good idea or not?

Ursa.....you are free to call as well, dearheart! :wacko:

Sugar did an extraordinary bath! It's gorgeous!

But at least 15K of that was structure and some major re-piping. Not to mention some killer tilework.

AND...the remodel was in line with her home value. This is key here.

Ursa.....you are free to call as well, dearheart! :wacko:

Thanks! I'm not in the market for this until 2012 though having spent an arm and a leg on a new floor, kitchen, roof, woodwork and a ton of other improvements over the last two years.

The tub is OK, just water discolored on the bottom. I may go the "gut and replace everything" route because there is absolutely no scope at all for reshuffling the fixtures. That makes it simply a question of what color scheme and fixture types we want to put in.

Sugar did an extraordinary bath! It's gorgeous!

But at least 15K of that was structure and some major re-piping. Not to mention some killer tilework.

AND...the remodel was in line with her home value. This is key here.

Not sure we are really in line with home value anymore with home prices in our area dropping 45-65%.

Bunz did give me a lot of advice as well. We are super anal and cautious, so if you go with natural stone we know the porosity and upkeep, plus pros and cons of each type of stone. Also we drove ourselves crazy whether to do chrome fixutures or not. All the scary stuff we heard about upkeep of marble, limestone and chrome have just been a non-issue. If you are sharing this bath with kids, then I'd say it may be an issue and something to think about.

One big thing we learned on this project is to have a contratcor or lead guy there all the time. This was the case when remodeling our kitchen, and to our surprise was not with our bath. We were there full time and really became the contractor when subs were not doing their job or what was expected. We were very angry at how involved we had to be on the project.

Our contractor was there about 10 minutes early in the day, and 10 minutes at the end of the day--not enough time to know if the project is going well or not.

Still my same question...

What is a reasonable time frame for:

Ripping out a floor

Ripping out a shower stall

Ripping out the sink/vanity

No construction changes.

And replacing same?

Understand this is MY Library/place of solitude/throne.

How long should I expect?

Sorry for the hijack.

TIA

Edited by rocknrobn26

Still my same question...

What is a reasonable time frame for:

Ripping out a floor

Ripping out a shower stall

Ripping out the sink/vanity

No construction changes.

And replacing same?

Understand this is MY Library/place of solitude/throne.

How long should I expect?

Sorry for the hijack.

TIA

I'm sorry RR....I thought you were telling Puddy to ask for a timeframe....lol.

That will vary from job to job depending on quite a few things. if you go with a "company" they will have more folks working on it. They make their money by getting in and getting done. Any reorientation of fixtures/plumbing take more time. Tiling takes more time than a surround. New drywall takes more time if you've decided to gut down to the studs in the whole room.

My best advice.....HAVE A PLAN. And make sure ALL your materials are bought and delivered before you have them start.

A straight forward 5X8 with two or three guys working? A day to demo/clean/reblock/repair and tear out the floor. IF that goes fast, they might even get the surround insulated and vapor barriered too. Give your plumber a good morning by themselves to cut in your new tub/shower valves and copper....new vanity shut offs and go ahead and have them install your sink faucet on your vanity top too if possible. If you need your tub or shower drain moved or your toilet moved......give your plumber a whole day. Then your guys can set in the tub or the shower pan and get your surround durock or dens-shield walls up and seams mudded. After the tub or pan is set, they can do the flooring. Tile floor....2 days minimum. Remember they will have to tile themselves out of the room, then no traffic overnight on the floor. They can save the grouting for the end of the next day. Vinyl...one day and they can walk on it right after it's installed too.

Once the floor is in, get the walls painted....you can't paint behind the toilet once it's in......lol. At this point it's an easy day to install the toilet, vanity, mirror or cut in and block for a medicine cabinet, light fixture and a pre-made surround. If you are doing a tiled surround, it would be another 2-3 days depending on how intricate your tiling is. Then give them another half day for finishing touches....caulk, installing shower fixtures, any trimwork and new threshold, touchup paint, shower door if necessary, towel bars, hooks....all those little finishing touches.

That's in a perfect world, RR. Certain things can set you back.....dryrot repair, new or updated electrical. new fans that need venting to the outside, new drywall needs a couple coats of mud, PVA primer.....then paint. I had a couple setbacks on this last complete gut. It had a parquet wood floor that had to come out, but the glue holding it down was a bear. I had a vanity drain block in the wall about two feet from the vanity.....had to call a plumber in for that. The tub drain into concrete was VERY thin and the tub we were putting in had zero clearance for the overflow. I had to build a deck for the tub at the last minute. And I spent a half day getting creative with the vanity drain to get enough clearance between it and the tub. (24" vanity with one door and a bank of drawers....drain was barely on the door side of the wall.) You get the idea.

So......working by myself on all of it....complete gut save some drywall....It took me 12 days to complete that job. Intricate tile work, all new copper and I was cutting and fitting all the durock myself. One entire day for the epoxy grout...totally worth it. Virtually no maintenance...I highly recommend it. No helpers except for some of the demo (1/2 a day)

2-3 workers + a plumber might have done that job in 5 days. They probably would have been twice my labor price too......lol.

Your job RR? Pre-formed complete shower stall? New floor and vanity? Maybe 3 days depending on the floor. 2 workers. New fixture that requires a new valve? You'll need a plumber - 2 to 3 hours worth. It doesn't usually require a plumber to install a vanity.

Edited by SteelBunz

I'm sorry RR....I thought you were telling Puddy to ask for a timeframe....lol.

That will vary from job to job depending on quite a few things. if you go with a "company" they will have more folks working on it. They make their money by getting in and getting done. Any reorientation of fixtures/plumbing take more time. Tiling takes more time than a surround. New drywall takes more time if you've decided to gut down to the studs in the whole room.

My best advice.....HAVE A PLAN. And make sure ALL your materials are bought and delivered before you have them start.

A straight forward 5X8 with two or three guys working? A day to demo/clean/reblock/repair and tear out the floor. IF that goes fast, they might even get the surround insulated and vapor barriered too. Give your plumber a good morning by themselves to cut in your new tub/shower valves and copper....new vanity shut offs and go ahead and have them install your sink faucet on your vanity top too if possible. If you need your tub or shower drain moved or your toilet moved......give your plumber a whole day. Then your guys can set in the tub or the shower pan and get your surround durock or dens-shield walls up and seams mudded. After the tub or pan is set, they can do the flooring. Tile floor....2 days minimum. Remember they will have to tile themselves out of the room, then no traffic overnight on the floor. They can save the grouting for the end of the next day. Vinyl...one day and they can walk on it right after it's installed too.

Once the floor is in, get the walls painted....you can't paint behind the toilet once it's in......lol. At this point it's an easy day to install the toilet, vanity, mirror or cut in and block for a medicine cabinet, light fixture and a pre-made surround. If you are doing a tiled surround, it would be another 2-3 days depending on how intricate your tiling is. Then give them another half day for finishing touches....caulk, installing shower fixtures, any trimwork and new threshold, touchup paint, shower door if necessary, towel bars, hooks....all those little finishing touches.

That's in a perfect world, RR. Certain things can set you back.....dryrot repair, new or updated electrical. new fans that need venting to the outside, new drywall needs a couple coats of mud, PVA primer.....then paint. I had a couple setbacks on this last complete gut. It had a parquet wood floor that had to come out, but the glue holding it down was a bear. I had a vanity drain block in the wall about two feet from the vanity.....had to call a plumber in for that. The tub drain into concrete was VERY thin and the tub we were putting in had zero clearance for the overflow. I had to build a deck for the tub at the last minute. And I spent a half day getting creative with the vanity drain to get enough clearance between it and the tub. (24" vanity with one door and a bank of drawers....drain was barely on the door side of the wall.) You get the idea.

So......working by myself on all of it....complete gut save some drywall....It took me 12 days to complete that job. Intricate tile work, all new copper and I was cutting and fitting all the durock myself. One entire day for the epoxy grout...totally worth it. Virtually no maintenance...I highly recommend it. No helpers except for some of the demo (1/2 a day)

2-3 workers + a plumber might have done that job in 5 days. They probably would have been twice my labor price too......lol.

Your job RR? Pre-formed complete shower stall? New floor and vanity? Maybe 3 days depending on the floor. 2 workers. New fixture that requires a new valve? You'll need a plumber - 2 to 3 hours worth. It doesn't usually require a plumber to install a vanity.

Thanks sweetie! :wacko:

Just a shower,No surround, tile (shower and trim only), and replace base.

Definitely want a plumber to change out the valve and maybe put something different in.

It's a small bath, so no need/desire to move the plumbing.

We probably won't do it for awhile, but wanted to be able to plan it well as you said.

Thanks again.