[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unions going door to door

gbpfan1231

This is more for people like Yukon, Chuck, Borge (I think) and any others with union experience.

Let me preface this by saying I am listening to a right leaning radio station that is talking about unions that are going to people's doors and asking if they are still going to pay the union dues - kind of saying are you in or are you out?

The interesting thing is this host is arguing both sides and has yet to give his side. He has good points on both sides.

I am against unions but I don't think this is wrong. I also admit I have no idea what being in a union is like. There is nothing illegal about going door to door. I can see why they are doing this - it is much much more difficult to tell someone no face to face so I am guessing tis tactic will lead to more people paying dues for a longer period of time - is that wrong - I lean towards not.

The question I have for the people with experience with unions is - what is your take on this? What would you think if you had someone knock on your door.

Another question I have is what repercussions will people have if they stop paying dues? Will they be ostracized (sp?)?

If this gets too into someones actual life I apologize - I just think this is interesting.

OK the host just gave his opinion - no surprise he thinks it crosses the line - he does say that he thinks it barely crosses the line (whatever that means).

His basic reason is that it is intimidation. I guess that is where I have trouble with having an opinion - if there are no repercussions then I don't see it as intimidation??? If your life at work will be hell because you say no then I guess yes it is intimidation.

Let me preface this by saying I am listening to a right leaning radio station .

:wacko: shocking

Mark Belling or Charlie Sykes today?

I bet Belling. :tup:

Also, I posted in a thread that got locked when tossberg and I got in a pissing match about how a fire departmnet union wouldnt support a firefighter with a 10 year anniversary float of the 9-11 attacks becasue the guy wasnt union. That is very telling of where priorities are . .

Edited by bpwallace49

OK the host just gave his opinion - no surprise he thinks it crosses the line - he does say that he thinks it barely crosses the line (whatever that means).

His basic reason is that it is intimidation. I guess that is where I have trouble with having an opinion - if there are no repercussions then I don't see it as intimidation??? If your life at work will be hell because you say no then I guess yes it is intimidation.

Does he also find Jehovah's Witnesses to be unduly intimidating? :wacko:

seems to me like it would be more appropriate if they approached people in the workplace rather than at home.

I agree. Also, what's wrong with certified mail or an email?

Inappropriate - yes. Illegal - No.

Edited by tosberg34

:wacko: shocking

Mark Belling or Charlie Sykes today?

I bet Belling. :tup:

Also, I posted in a thread that got locked when tossberg and I got in a pissing match about how a fire departmnet union wouldnt support a firefighter with a 10 year anniversary float of the 9-11 attacks becasue the guy wasnt union. That is very telling of where priorities are . .

Belling - he is the only guy I like on the radio - can't stand Rush can't stand hannity - can't stand Sykes.

I like Belling - he is such an arrogant dick that he is fun to listen to.

seems to me like it would be more appropriate if they approached people in the workplace rather than at home.

Hard to do when teachers are off for the summer. I am guessing this is mostly for people where it is difficult to reach at work face to face.

Belling - he is the only guy I like on the radio - can't stand Rush can't stand hannity - can't stand Sykes.

I like Belling - he is such an arrogant dick that he is fun to listen to.

Jay Webber is good in the morning (6-10). Belling is OK but I find him to be quite obnoxious.

Hard to do when teachers are off for the summer. I am guessing this is mostly for people where it is difficult to reach at work face to face.

What? What happened? They were all so willing to take the time in February and March and walk off the job but now they can't be found? why is that?

I agree. Also, what's wrong with certified mail or an email?

Inappropriate - yes. Illegal - No.

Well it is not mail or e-mail because face to face will obviously be more productive. That part to me is obvious.

The real question is - is it appropriate? Someone brought up Jehovah witnesses. Are they annoying yes - is it inappropriate?? The main difference is that when I tell a Jehovah no I don't see him/her Monday thru Friday???? If the consequences of the workplace environment are minor then I don't see what is wrong with it???

I would say if this was done during the school year, it would be inappropriate. If you cant see the teachers now becasue it is the summer, then I can see why they would do it.

The better question is why cant they wait one month and ask them when school is in session so they wont have to go to their homes? :wacko:

What would you think if you had someone knock on your door.

Anyone I don't know who knocks on my door that wasn't invited is lucky if I simply refuse to answer the door. If I DO answer it, they are likely to be told to f- off. Unions, people selling whatever, Jehovah Witnesses, doesn't matter. At the very least it's freakin rude.

As for unions, yes it's an intimidation tactic and I'd tell them none of their damn business. When my dues are due, then you'll know, not before.

Edited by BeeR

Anyone I don't know who knocks on my door that wasn't invited is lucky if I simply refuse to answer the door. If I DO answer it, they are likely to be told to f- off. Unions, people selling whatever, Jehovah Witnesses, doesn't matter. At the very least it's freakin rude.

As for unions, yes it's an intimidation tactic and I'd tell them none of their damn business. When my dues are due, then you'll know, not before.

But not everyone has your sunny, cheerful disposition and outlook on life. :halo:

You are strong enough to do this but you and I both know that there will be people who will be coerced to still pitch in dues by having a hard time saying no to someone face to face.

I tell you that I buy girl scout cookies and boxes of chocolates from any kid that knocks on my door but I never buy cookies or chocolates the other 360 days out of the year. Part of that is that it is better to be selling chocolates than doing drugs but still tougher to turn down someone straight face to face.

You are strong enough to do this but you and I both know that there will be people who will be coerced to still pitch in dues by having a hard time saying no to someone face to face.

I tell you that I buy girl scout cookies and boxes of chocolates from any kid that knocks on my door but I never buy cookies or chocolates the other 360 days out of the year. Part of that is that it is better to be selling chocolates than doing drugs but still tougher to turn down someone straight face to face.

Do people actually ask you 360 days out of the year?

This comes down to how the people who say no will be treated at work.

This is why I ask people that have experience with unions. Will there be repercussions? Do the stories you hear about solidarity and people calling people scabs really exist?

I know unions stick together - geez remember the James River thing in Green Bay where 7 guys were put away for murder because some guy ratted someone out for stealing an extension cord???

Will teachers in Wisconsin that choose to not pay dues be considered scabs and will they be treated differently at work?

But not everyone has your sunny, cheerful disposition and outlook on life. :halo:

Believe it or not, many are even sunnier! In fact I'm sure many here welcome uninvited strangers knocking on their door with open arms.

This comes down to how the people who say no will be treated at work.

This is why I ask people that have experience with unions. Will there be repercussions? Do the stories you hear about solidarity and people calling people scabs really exist?

I know unions stick together - geez remember the James River thing in Green Bay where 7 guys were put away for murder because some guy ratted someone out for stealing an extension cord???

Will teachers in Wisconsin that choose to not pay dues be considered scabs and will they be treated differently at work?

In Oak Creek (I think?) , a fireman union refused to support and fund a 9-11 memorial float, because the fireman organizing it wasnt union. They wont support a 9-11 memorial . . . . because the guy didnt support the union. :wacko: