[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The QB ?

Slugs3511

Berry's advice is antiquated at best. He'll tell you to go RB/RB than grab a TE (which is crazy this year with TE depth). Then another article he'll tell you to take a QB in the 1st round? Sorry but after 16 years I learned a long time ago the QBs early are a waste and surefire way to NOT win.

yawn

Berry's article is completely relevant to the topic being discussed here.

He provides numbers and analysis which would be helpful to anyone trying to make a decision. Especially those interested in figuring out what position might be thin this year as compared to last.

You keep commenting on a man and an article that you will not read.

Good luck to you.

again, this topic has been fully discussed. Big Country and Detlef, 2 that come to mind, have given exclusive info on this subject. And that Ionic Breeze from EsPN? junk....I'd rather get a hat from 2v (minor dig here as I've received my hat and hold 2v in high regard).

yawn

Berry's article is completely relevant to the topic being discussed here.

He provides numbers and analysis which would be helpful to anyone trying to make a decision. Especially those interested in figuring out what position might be thin this year as compared to last.

You keep commenting on a man and an article that you will not read.

Good luck to you.

not once in that article does Berry say that by taking a QB early that it weakens your RB/WR's. He doesn't show how many points you lose from having lesser quality RB's compared to the ones you could get by not drafting QB early. Because he only looks at it from the QB point of view the article isn't that relevant and is missing a lot of information.

Quick post from phone, but I read the Berry article.

If you believe Vick will perform at career high levels again and outscore the QB field like he did last season, then this discussion is moot and he is a clear #1 pick. If you believe he is more likely to regress towards his mean, and I believe a post from Bronco Billy showing his stats for his first 6 vs. last 6 games indicates this is a strong possibility, continue reading.

One thing that jumped out to me was the points he made about the consistency of QBs being drafted in the top 10 performing in the top 10 over the years. So, let's say his number of about 70% holds true, and that the normal scoring distribution for QBs holds true. Using the Huddle Performance scoring system which is the default for the stat section we see that from QB1 to QB 10 there was a 9 PPG spread if we include Vick and a mere 4 PPG spread if we exclude his numbers, with QBs 11-20 all within 1.5 PPG of QB10.

So, he is telling me that with a very reasonable level of confidence, I can draft pretty much any of the top 10 QBs and be within 4 points of the best QB, and even if I miss on that one guy, I can be relatively certain that having any of the top 20 or so QBs will have me within 6PPG of the top Qbs which will be taken 10-12 rounds earlier.

I know it depends on the style league you play in....so here are some questions...

1. If QBs throwing TDs are all worth 6 points....does it make them more valuable.....

a. So do you take them earlier and if so....who do you take and when....

2. If they are 4 points throwing TDs.....how does this change philosophy of taking the QB....

a. Earliest taken, and who do you take...?

3. Throwing TDs....4 points and all TDs 6 points...

a. Obviously makes Vick a better QB with his rushing TDs...but what is too early with the RBBC so often used now...

Any and all advice is well appreciated.... :wacko:

There is a fair amount of weight that has to be put into your scoring system and league specifics. I'm in a work league that has pretty outrageous scoring for QBs (yardage bonuses, larger than normal penalities for INTs, etc.), and I always make it a point to get one of the top QBs with either my first or my second pick (and I've been in the playoffs every year in that league using that strategy). In other leagues that I'm in with more standard scoring, I typically wait until the mid rounds to get better values like Schaub, Freeman, Eli, etc. So starting a thread with the disclaimer that "I know it depends on the style..." says it all. Do a LAG analysis of your league using the scoring rules, and it won't take long to realize how early you should target your QB.