[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes

Ralph Furley

I'm not sure what to make of him in our PPR league. Unfortunately, I have limited cap space this season for our auction, and I know many top WRs will be bought and I can't afford to pay top dollar for them. I think I have a good idea of which WR2 I like and which ones I don't, but I can't figure out Santonio Holmes. Can he be depended on to be a decent WR2 this year? Any thoughts?

Edited by Ralph Furley

I'm not sure what to make of him in our PPR league. Unfortunately, I have limited cap space this season for our auction, and I know many top WRs will be bought and I can't afford to pay top dollar for them. I think I have a good idea of which WR2 I like and which ones I don't, but I can't figure out Santonio Holmes. Can he be depended on to be a decent WR2 this year? Any thoughts?

As a WR2? I'd have no qualms whatsoever. I mean, in his first year with a supposedly "run heavy" offense, he had only four out of 12 games under single-digit fantasy points in PPR scoring. One of those games was his first, another was his third, and another the final game of the season (when he only caught one ball for a score and then was rested).

He really only had one "monster" game, but the rest of his action was pretty consistent. He's exactly what you want out of a WR2, at least in my opinion: consistency, with the potential for a huge game here and there.

It's been argued that a capable WR2 doesn't do anything for a WR1, but in the case of the Jets, a good route-running Derrick Mason and a capable TE in Dustin Keller could allow Holmes to break free for more big plays this season. The addition of Plaxico Burress probably won't eat into his production much.

Yikes, I probably phrased my initial post wrong. Bascially, with my auction, I think I'm trying to talk myself into him being a #1 on my team this year :wacko: I agree, Darin, he's a good #2, but probably not the WR to bank on as a fantasy #1.

no such thing as a WR#1 or WR#2. If you have 2 stud RB's then Holmes is fine as a WR1 on your team. If you RB's aren't so great then obviously having Holmes as WR1 isn't good, but I'd be fine with Holmes at WR1 if I had say Rivers/Charles/Forte/Witten already on my team.

Yikes, I probably phrased my initial post wrong. Bascially, with my auction, I think I'm trying to talk myself into him being a #1 on my team this year :wacko: I agree, Darin, he's a good #2, but probably not the WR to bank on as a fantasy #1.

Yikes..who's left? Homes is a 4/5th round material WR at best. Of course I don't do auction leagues...there has to be somebody better for your #1?

no such thing as a WR#1 or WR#2. If you have 2 stud RB's then Holmes is fine as a WR1 on your team. If you RB's aren't so great then obviously having Holmes as WR1 isn't good, but I'd be fine with Holmes at WR1 if I had say Rivers/Charles/Forte/Witten already on my team.

flashback to 2005

No legit #1 WR's? You're smoking crack. Give me Megatron or AJ all day over any #2's you have on your list.

And I wanna be in a leauge where I can get River/Charles/Forte/Witten before I snag a WR. Lord.

just keep in mind that Sanchez is erratic. Other than that, quality WR#2 material.

assuming its 1 point per reception I would take these guys in this order ahead of Holmes:

AJ

Roddy

Calvin

Nicks

Fitz

Wayne

Jennings

Miles

BMarshall

Welker

Colston

Bowe

MWallace

VJax

MWilliams

Dez

DeSean

Lloyd

Stevie Johnson

Britt

Maclin (assuming the thing he has isn't too serious)

then I would take Holmes. Thats 22 guys I would rather have on a PPR team than Holmes. Get Holmes as a No. 2 and get one of these 22 dudes as your No. 1 and you should be more than good assuming that way you can load up at other positions.

assuming its 1 point per reception I would take these guys in this order ahead of Holmes:

AJ

Roddy

Calvin

Nicks

Fitz

Wayne

Jennings

Miles

BMarshall

Welker

Colston

Bowe

MWallace

VJax

MWilliams

Dez

DeSean

Lloyd

Stevie Johnson

Britt

Maclin (assuming the thing he has isn't too serious)

then I would take Holmes. Thats 22 guys I would rather have on a PPR team than Holmes. Get Holmes as a No. 2 and get one of these 22 dudes as your No. 1 and you should be more than good assuming that way you can load up at other positions.

i'd take holmes over several of those guys.

i'd take holmes over several of those guys.

+1 - I'd have him above Britt and Lloyd for sure, and sans Lee Evans, I'm not confident that Steve Johnson will have a consistent WR2 year. Maclin is a total question mark, but assuming he's healthy, I probably take Maclin over Holmes.

flashback to 2005

No legit #1 WR's? You're smoking crack. Give me Megatron or AJ all day over any #2's you have on your list.

And I wanna be in a leauge where I can get River/Charles/Forte/Witten before I snag a WR. Lord.

I think the point he's making is that if you spend your money on a pair of big RB's (or high draft picks) and those other top-flight position options - Charles, Forte, Rivers, Witten, Holmes in the 5th would be acceptable tradeoff as a WR1 on his team.

+1 - I'd have him above Britt and Lloyd for sure, and sans Lee Evans, I'm not confident that Steve Johnson will have a consistent WR2 year. Maclin is a total question mark, but assuming he's healthy, I probably take Maclin over Holmes.

The fact that Holmes scored a measly 154 points last year compared to Lloyd's 280, Stevie's 235, and Maclin's 219, and Britt's 168---does that really make it seem like Holmes is the better choice?

I'd take Lloyd over Holmes because Lloyd wqas the #1 WR last year, and he isn't even as old as everyone thinks, he is 30. Orton is still there and still the starter and there is no reason to expect a massive drop off. Even if he produced HALF of what he did last year (a MASSIVE DROPOFF), that 140 pts is close to Holmes's 154 last year.

I'd take Stevie Johnson over Holmes because Fitzpatrick has proven he can air out the ball, and I like Chain Gailey to some extent. The kid turned 25 this summer and entering his 4th year. He is the focal point of the offense and they did add Brad Smith this off-season, which takes pressure off of Stevie. Again, he outscored Holmes by around 5.7 points every single week.

I'd take Maclin over Holmes because Maclin plays in one of the best fantasy offenses in the league and produces. He will only get better. As long as the medical condition he has doesn't turn out to be substantial this is a no brainer.

I'd take Britt over Holmes because Britt outperformed him last year AND Britt missed 6 games AND Britt had Rusty Smith throwing to him. Even if he is suspended 4 games, I fully believe, giving Britt Hasselbeck, that he has a huge season. Turning 23 and entering his 3rd year smells of a true breakout.

Now my knock on Holmes is that he plays better as a No. 2 option in real life (did great with Hines Ward as the no. 1 in PITT), He ain't getting any better now that he is 27, he has had only 1 1000 yard season, his TD numbers are mediocre at best (last three seasons he has 5, 5, 6) and Mark Sanchez is throwing him the ball.

:wacko: You realize Holmes didn't play the first four weeks of the season, right? And he sat out the majority of the last game?

Alright, then by a points per game basis:

Brandon Lloyd: 18.6

Stevie Johnson: 15.6

Jeremy Maclin: 15.6

Kenny Britt: 16.8

Santonio Holmes: 12.8

hmmmmm....I would say that....Holmes is the weakest one here.

And by the way, how about instead of just claiming that my points are "misinformed" try to prove to me that they are misinformed.

Alright, then by a points per game basis:

Brandon Lloyd: 18.6

Stevie Johnson: 15.6

Jeremy Maclin: 15.6

Kenny Britt: 16.8

Santonio Holmes: 12.8

hmmmmm....I would say that....Holmes is the weakest one here.

And by the way, how about instead of just claiming that my points are "misinformed" try to prove to me that they are misinformed.

OK then.

Lloyd - New coach, new system. You think John Fox is going to want to chuck the ball like Josh McDaniels? If you do, you're wrong.

Johnson - The subtraction of Lee Evans is going to sting.

Maclin - Dealing with a debilitating illness.

Britt - Hasselbeck or Locker? Hmmm...

You were providing mis-information by showing us total points.

E2A.... with all that said, it's all opinion-based. You're entitled to yours. Just don't provide "part" of the story and expect us to give credence to your side of things based on skewed facts. I, personally, think Holmes is a solid WR2 that is liable to explode and put up WR1 type stats from time-to-time.

And I'm not sure what cuckoo scoring system you're going off, but just looking at the WRs you're providing as "examples":

Lloyd: 17.9

Johnson: 15.6

Britt: 14.6

Maclin: 14.5

Holmes: 13.8

That's in a standard PPR format. Sorry, I'd rather have a healthy Holmes than any of those cats.

Edited by darin3

OK then.

Lloyd - New coach, new system. You think John Fox is going to want to chuck the ball like Josh McDaniels? If you do, you're wrong.

Johnson - The subtraction of Lee Evans is going to sting.

Maclin - Dealing with a debilitating illness.

Britt - Hasselbeck or Locker? Hmmm...

You were providing mis-information by showing us total points.

E2A.... with all that said, it's all opinion-based. You're entitled to yours. Just don't provide "part" of the story and expect us to give credence to your side of things based on skewed facts. I, personally, think Holmes is a solid WR2 that is liable to explode and put up WR1 type stats from time-to-time.

And I'm not sure what cuckoo scoring system you're going off, but just looking at the WRs you're providing as "examples":

Lloyd: 17.9

Johnson: 15.6

Britt: 14.6

Maclin: 14.5

Holmes: 13.8

That's in a standard PPR format. Sorry, I'd rather have a healthy Holmes than any of those cats.

I don't know how we get different points per game totals...I'm using ESPN "Scoring Leaders" and adding in 1 point per each reception they have.

right here: http://games.espn.go.com/ffl/leaders?seaso...lotCategoryId=4

Britt: 126 pts + 42 rec = 168. Played in 10 games, so168/10 = 16.8

Holmes: 102 pts + 52 rec = 154. Played in 12 games, so 154/12 = 12.8

Maclin: 149 pts + 70 rec = 219. Played in 15 games, so 219/15 = 14.6

Stevie: 157 pts + 82 rec = 239. Played in 16 games, so 239/16 = 14.9

Lloyd: 203 pts + 77 rec = 280. Played in 16, 280/16 = 17.5

Holmes is just incredibly lower than all the other guys by atleast 1.5 points per game...

and how is "Britt: Hasselbekc or Locker?" a negative argument for him??? Britt was playing with Rusty freaking Smith last year, either of those 2 are a massive upgrade.

and do you really believe that Lee Evans has so much value it is going to make a guy who is just finished in the top-10 WR, drop out of the top 20 this year? Especially when the guy is turning 25?

As for Maclin and Lloyd, I have said all along that it is assuming Maclin's condition isn't serious, and for Lloyd I don't see how he doesn't finish in the top-20 for WR this year.

and how is "Britt: Hasselbekc or Locker?" a negative argument for him??? Britt was playing with Rusty freaking Smith last year, either of those 2 are a massive upgrade.

:wacko: If you're going to make claims that Kenny Britt was catching passes from "Rusty freaking Smith" last year, then this is absolutely pointless.

:wacko: If you're going to make claims that Kenny Britt was catching passes from "Rusty freaking Smith" last year, then this is absolutely pointless.

alright Kerry Collins, huge upgrade...do you believe Hass/Locker is a downgrade or upgrade from Collins?