[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Question for The Huddle Staff

Phazool

What are the scoring parameters used to create this list? (2011 Player Rankings: Top 200 Quarterback Heavy Scoring) Does anyone know? This could help me with one of my leagues that uses 6pts for QB TD's.

Thanks!

Edited by Phazool

When we added QB heavy last year, we surveyed leagues and pretty much every one that used 2 QBs or had 6 pt pass TDs also were PPR. Without PPR, you are looking at QBs being way more valuable than any other position. We're going to review it all in the offseason as we always do.

So I guess what I need to know is based on this scoring system below AND having the 4th pick in a 12 team league, when should I reach for a QB?

Passing

Every 25 passing yards (PY25) 1 TD Pass (PTD) 6

Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2

Rushing

Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) 1 TD Rush (RTD) 6

2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2

Receiving

Every 10 receiving yards (REY10) 1 TD Reception (RETD) 6

2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2

Any help is appreciated as I do not have the ability to create my own Top 200. (Hence the reason why I pay for The Huddle)

My main league is not PPR and has QB TDs worth 6pts each. It's true that QBs score the most points of any position, but DMD's 3-10-20 analysis shows that their value, measured in absolute FFL points, decays very similarly to RBs in non-PPR standard leagues assuming both INTs and fumbles score as -2pts each (as you describe).

Given this, I can't find a convincing reason to overvalue the position relative to a league where QB TDs score as 3 or 4 points. The non-QB top 200 list would seem to work just fine, although I'm open to other thoughts on the issue.

So I guess what I need to know is based on this scoring system below AND having the 4th pick in a 12 team league, when should I reach for a QB?

Passing

Every 25 passing yards (PY25) 1 TD Pass (PTD) 6

Interceptions Thrown (INT) -2 2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) 2

Rushing

Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) 1 TD Rush (RTD) 6

2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) 2

Receiving

Every 10 receiving yards (REY10) 1 TD Reception (RETD) 6

2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) 2

Any help is appreciated as I do not have the ability to create my own Top 200. (Hence the reason why I pay for The Huddle)

What I dislike about top 200 lists and why I would never personally use them is because the decision on when to take a specific position is not going to be captured by a one-size-fits-all array of names. You have to respond to what your league is doing and how that affects your chance to build an optimal team. The pat answer is to take whatever position as late as you can and still get the quality that you want.

QBs are always a different breed than the other positions because they are high scoring and yet you only need one and do not need backups as much as other positions. Each league drafts them differently even when they share similar scoring rules. What I would do - and have in a league before using two QBs - is I want a top QB which this year means Vick, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Rivers. I can maybe live with Romo if I get there late. But I never take the first one to see where they are going to be taken. And this year is even weirder because once Vick and Rodgers goes, there is often a big lag until the other three go. As much as 2,3 or even 4 rounds in some cases.

You have to respond to and respect what your league does. I would wait until the #3 QB was taken and hope I could get one of the next three QBs. If I cannot stand the risk of missing one, then I pull the trigger earlier than I want. If you get 6 point TDs and no reception points, then I would plan on using my 2nd round pick on a QB to be safe. The only way I wait until the third round (6 picks away) is if there are stll Brady, Brees, River and Romo still on the board since the three following teams are not going to take 2 QBs and at most will take one.

QBs are always a different breed than the other positions because they are high scoring and yet you only need one and do not need backups as much as other positions. Each league drafts them differently even when they share similar scoring rules. What I would do - and have in a league before using two QBs - is I want a top QB which this year means Vick, Rodgers, Brady, Brees and Rivers. I can maybe live with Romo if I get there late. But I never take the first one to see where they are going to be taken. And this year is even weirder because once Vick and Rodgers goes, there is often a big lag until the other three go. As much as 2,3 or even 4 rounds in some cases.

You have to respond to and respect what your league does. I would wait until the #3 QB was taken and hope I could get one of the next three QBs. If I cannot stand the risk of missing one, then I pull the trigger earlier than I want. If you get 6 point TDs and no reception points, then I would plan on using my 2nd round pick on a QB to be safe. The only way I wait until the third round (6 picks away) is if there are stll Brady, Brees, River and Romo still on the board since the three following teams are not going to take 2 QBs and at most will take one.

I think this is what I needed to hear in order to validate the strong possibility of drafting a top tier QB as early as the 2nd round. In this league that I am in, I have he 4th pick and plan to take one of the top 4 RBs. My concern was the return pick in the second round. I am pretty certain that 3 of the top tier QB's will be gone by then and I was looking for the top 200 to guage which top 5 QB's would rank higher than the 2nd tier RB's based on the scoring. But you explained it perfectly and I will reach early if I need to. Thanks.