[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's Tebowmania time!

BeerLeagueQB

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my take on the Tebow hate.

He does not fit the mold of a pretty NFL QB. His throwing style is at best questionable. Doesn't do things the "right way" in terms of mechanics on the field, but he does produce and the team does well with him.

In his career he has 13 total TD's and 3 ints. That is pretty darn good.

In games he has started they are 1-2, but they played well against SD in one of those L's.

At this point I think he 100% deserves a shot. Who knows how it pans out, but 13 total TD's and 3 ints. so far look pretty solid, and should be enough to give him a chance.

Meaning Ryan Leaf could have made that completion . . . .

I would really appreciate if going forward we can stop using Ryan Leaf;s name like this. He has waited a decent amount of time to take his "biggest bust QB" tag away from him. Please replace Leaf with JeMarcus Russell.

Thnx

Terrible move on behalf of the Bronco coaching staff. As bad as Orton was, you don't give in to what the crowd wants, otherwise you have no clear cut control of the franchise. If you were gonna throw the year away, do it, in Week 8+. But now, you have a QB controversy and all the Broncos will do is lose. They are not only hurting Tebow by putting him out too early due to just not being ready to be an NFL QB, but they are hurting any future development plans they had in place for him. I agree Orton is not a great QB, but if they wanted to do it right, they would have done the smart thing and had Tebow sit on the sideline and learn how not to play against the Chargers. It's disappointing to see a franchise do this. Good job Denver fans, your football expertise will really pay off.

Terrible move on behalf of the Bronco coaching staff. As bad as Orton was, you don't give in to what the crowd wants, otherwise you have no clear cut control of the franchise. If you were gonna throw the year away, do it, in Week 8+. But now, you have a QB controversy and all the Broncos will do is lose. They are not only hurting Tebow by putting him out too early due to just not being ready to be an NFL QB, but they are hurting any future development plans they had in place for him. I agree Orton is not a great QB, but if they wanted to do it right, they would have done the smart thing and had Tebow sit on the sideline and learn how not to play against the Chargers. It's disappointing to see a franchise do this. Good job Denver fans, your football expertise will really pay off.

I've been among those who were in favor of letting the guy who earned the job in practice lose it before you pull him. To wait until the season was really slipping away before they pulled the plug. But that was after week 2 when the Broncos had just won to go 1-1 and people were calling for Tebow.

However, it seems like a great time for this and, Darkhorse, you're flat-out wrong. To begin with, besides sitting at 1-3, Orton was half-way into a game where he was stinking it up majorly. That's a great time to pull the plug and see what your back-up has. I mean, the list of QBs who've earned the right to finish a game like that does not include Orton. So, at very least, you put Tebow in and see what he can do. Orton showed they were certainly not going to win that particular game with him behind center.

Then, the kid brings you back and nearly wins the game? And you've got a bye week to tweak the offense to him? At this point, it's basically a no-brainer.

Keeping Orton in despite his failures, the fact the season is slipping away, the massive adoration for Tebow, and the fact that he almost brought the team back in the one half you've given him to play? Operating your business in a manner that causes your customers to completely hate you is typically not good for business.

Does this mean you cave to every whim of the fan-base? Absolutely not. But when you've got a ton of evidence pointing to doing something that just so happens to be what your fans have been clamoring for? You'd have to be an idiot to not go that way.

Edited by detlef

If Tebow ain't ready now, he'll never be.

And by "ready", let's be clear that all that means is that he's mentally and emotionally ready to lead the team through it's ups and downs.

And if you think for one moment that the crowd influenced HC Fox, well, I'm not sure that you know who Fox is. Frankly, if he had kept Orton in, people would've accused him over being stubborn just to spite the crowd.

Are you kidding? If he wasn't listening to what the crowd was saying, then why would he sub Orton with the 3rd QB in the depth chart? You might be right about Tebow having enough time to be ready, but if going into the season, he can't even win the backup job outright, what makes you think he can lead the team into the future? Also, what makes any Bronco fan think that's the only position that needs change? It's ridiculous, fans are just that. Fans. Coaches should coach, despite of what fans sitting at home eating popcorn say.

Are you kidding? If he wasn't listening to what the crowd was saying, then why would he sub Orton with the 3rd QB in the depth chart? You might be right about Tebow having enough time to be ready, but if going into the season, he can't even win the backup job outright, what makes you think he can lead the team into the future? Also, what makes any Bronco fan think that's the only position that needs change? It's ridiculous, fans are just that. Fans. Coaches should coach, despite of what fans sitting at home eating popcorn say.

What makes you think any Bronco fan feels that way?

WEEK 5 - 10 Team 1PPR League

QB Kyle Orton v. SD

:wacko:

Now I see why you're pissed off, because your argument makes little sense.

WEEK 5 - 10 Team 1PPR League

QB Kyle Orton v. SD

:wacko:

Now I see why you're pissed off, because your argument makes little sense.

I f I was talking about fantasy football I would've mentioned that, luckily for me I still won. Regardless it doesn't put a damper on what I'm saying, Denver will be in shambles for a while. I'm just disappointed because I like the Bronocos and always have. It's too bad it's shaping out to be a lost season.

Here is why I am VERY confused by this thread and some people's stance on Tebow/Orton.

Since his great start last season, a start which included a lot of L's, what has Orton done for us to say can't bench that guy for Tebow? I mean I am very curious. 3 of his last 4 starts last season were poor. He is leading the NFL in ints. The team and O looked awful with him yesterday. He hasn't been anything special this season. The team looked much better with Tebow in there yesterday Tebow has a 13 to 3 total TD to int ratio. Just don't understand why it is so crazy to give Tebow a shot?

Is Orton better than the whatever journeyman QB we all thought he was prior to that great start last season? Orton is a whatever NFL QB. Tebow could clearly be worse than that, but I for one think he has earned the chance to see what he truly is. Especially when the alternative is a whatever QB like Orton.

Edited by giantsfan

What makes you think any Bronco fan feels that way?

Adding to that, you don't hear chants or boos about Knowshon Moreno and his lame hamstring or Champ Bailey playing for fractions of a season. It's crazy to think that Tebow will lead you into the future, especially with all the talk coming out of Denver regarding Tebow's underperformance. Tebow is the least of denver's problems.

Adding to that, you don't hear chants or boos about Knowshon Moreno and his lame hamstring or Champ Bailey playing for fractions of a season. It's crazy to think that Tebow will lead you into the future, especially with all the talk coming out of Denver regarding Tebow's underperformance. Tebow is the least of denver's problems.

I don't know about you, but most of the "chants" I hear is "Orton sucks? Why not see what we have in Tebow?!"

Sure, there are a few deluded people who are convinced that Tebow is going to be a HOF QB and lead them to the promised land. But most just want to end the Orton experiment and try the Tebow one. And that makes perfect sense. I certainly thought they were jumping the gun when the team was 1-1, but 1-4?

But, again, more to the point. I don't even know if I'd be on board with these guys if Tebow had come in and stunk up the joint yesterday when he got his chance. I said "give it until week 8" a few weeks ago, and I might have stood by that. But if you look at it incrementally...

1) Pulling Orton for that game only made perfect sense. They've been losing, he's certainly on the hook for some of that losing, and he looked horrid so far that game. So, regardless of the long-term fix, I could see making a switch for that game only. Again, we're not talking about a guy with a track record that means he deserves to finish what he starts. This isn't benching Favre at halftime if he's thrown 3 picks or something. You don't do that to a guy like Favre. You certainly can to a guy like Orton.

2) They were dead in the water and nearly won the game!

3) They have a bye this week and they're 1-4.

Honestly, I was very much on record as saying that they needed to give Orton a shot at the beginning of the season and thought it was silly that people were calling for his head after a win. Almost as silly, as insisting that they stick with him despite what transpired over the last 24 hours.

Let me also add:

The Denver Broncos are 6-22 in QB Kyle Orton's last 28 starts following a Week 5 loss to the San Diego Chargers.

So someone please tell me why it is SO crazy to give Tebow a shot and see what you have in him? Please.

To me, it's just weird to think that the 3rd QB on the depth chart would deserve a shot before the backup. It's not so much giving him the chance, because let's be honest he would've gotten one, the way they are playing. It's the way the coaching staff has handled the situation and almost taken a "well, it's out of our hands" approach to the situation. It can't bode well for the future is all...

To me, it's just weird to think that the 3rd QB on the depth chart would deserve a shot before the backup. It's not so much giving him the chance, because let's be honest he would've gotten one, the way they are playing. It's the way the coaching staff has handled the situation and almost taken a "well, it's out of our hands" approach to the situation. It can't bode well for the future is all...

We'll agree to disagree. I think you are way too hung up on this 2nd/3rd QB thing. It isn't like last season when the 3rd QB could only play in an emergency, and once he enters the 1st two QB's can't come back in.

Other than maybe a depth chart, who says Quinn was # 2? My point is it's a meaningless title in the NFL really. # 2 or # 3 who cares.

I think everyone knew Tebow was next in line if Orton faltered. I just don't see this as a huge issue.

Orton is not a good NFL QB. He is a whatever QB. You seem to think giving Tebow a shot is a big deal. I see it as whatever. They weren't winning and Orton is nothing special, so let's see what Tebow is. He has looked pretty good in the time he has played.

just technically, I don't believe that the depth chart ever had them at #2 or #3.

Exactly my point. Like I said maybe a depth chart, which maybe never even had an official listing.

Point is, to me anyone who sees it as an issue or crazy to start Tebow has an agenda...it is that simple.

Otherwise there is just no way anyone can go crazy about this. Orton is a whatever QB with a ton of L's during his Denver time.

# 2 or # 3 on the depth chart who cares IMO.

Great back shoulder 25 yd pass on the sideline that Lloyd simply dropped. The kind of pass that Tebow allegedly can't throw.

If I didn't know better, I'd think you were talking about the second pass where Lloyd was out of bounds...

Tell me, what about that throw was so mechanically sound? You might wanna go back and watch that one again, because with Lloyd having position on the DB to the outside, he throws the ball behind him inside right at the DB's hands, and forces Llloyd to contort to even keep it from going into his hands. He most certainly did not throw it where only his reciever can get it.

I will say that Tebow's gimmicky run-and-gun style has worked okay when he's been under center so far, but we'll see what happens when defenses adjust and force him to make accurate NFL throws in tight windows...

Exactly my point. Like I said maybe a depth chart, which maybe never even had an official listing.

Point is, to me anyone who sees it as an issue or crazy to start Tebow has an agenda...it is that simple.

Otherwise there is just no way anyone can go crazy about this. Orton is a whatever QB with a ton of L's during his Denver time.

# 2 or # 3 on the depth chart who cares IMO.

I don't think anyone is still calling for Orton to be the starter after yesterday... The previous debates not to bench Orton for Tebow were related to the fact that Orton had won the job, and Tebow had not outplayed him. That changed yesterday.... So no, the 0 people in here today claiming that Orton still deserves the job are wrong, all zero of them :wacko:

Under ideal circumstance, Fox and co should have waitied until the season was completely in the tank to give Tebow a shot (because frankly he hadn't earned it)... Absent what actually happened with Orton sucking enough to be benched yesterday, it is not an ideal situation and bad for locker-room morale to simply give a guy a shot because he was highly-drafted by the previous management, and not because he's earned the starting gig through his play.

I don't think anyone is still calling for Orton to be the starter after yesterday... The previous debates not to bench Orton for Tebow were related to the fact that Orton had won the job, and Tebow had not outplayed him. That changed yesterday.... So no, the 0 people in here today claiming that Orton still deserves the job are wrong, all zero of them :wacko:

Under ideal circumstance, Fox and co should have waitied until the season was completely in the tank to give Tebow a shot (because frankly he hadn't earned it)... Absent what actually happened with Orton sucking enough to be benched yesterday, it is not an ideal situation and bad for locker-room morale to simply give a guy a shot because he was highly-drafted by the previous management, and not because he's earned the starting gig through his play.

And we'll agree to disagree on the 2nd paragraph.

Locker room morale? If anyone has any issue with 6-22 Orton being benched for 13 TD and 3 int Tebow at this point, they are crazy. I think Tebow deserves/is getting a shot because Orton was not great his last 4 games or so last season, was not good this season, and Tebow has played resonably well in the chances he has received in games.

I just see this as NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER. And if his name wasn't Tebow I don't even think this thread exists.

We are really going back and forth on benching whatever/average Orton...really? And Tebow has done well in games where given a shot. I do think he has earned it. And if he falters, so be it. He has earned the shot to walk or fall IMO.

Edited by giantsfan