[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New Ideas for our league in 2012

archiebonker

Hey, here's another question for you. I'm thinking after 7 years it might be time to handout awards. Right now I built a very nice website for our league and have banners and a slide that reminds everyone the Champs from last year every time they open the site.

Just wanted to hear if you guys have some cool rewards for guys in your league. I was thinking of ordering Beer Mugs (Glass) and get them engraved with team and league name.

new toilet seat (19.99-24.99) for the "king of the crapper" (last placed team)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a coach on the roster is akin to having team Ds just a bit more broad. Having played in a league before that drafted a coach and rewarded or punished much the same way you are currently doing it is in reality drafting a team based on how many wins you think they will post. Although not a huge impact, it does create another factor when drafting as well as the impact on some owners attempting to play match-ups week to week.

As for new/different things we're doing in other leagues...

After some discussion this past off-season with some friends that wanted something a bit more interesting and competitive we came up with a couple additions to the "normal" league format that have worked out pretty well so far.

- We have a weekly position competition for highest scoring individual at a particular position. Wk 1 - QB, wk 2 - RB, Wk 3 - WR and so on. After you have gone through each position on the roster it starts over.

- Last 6 weeks of the season we have a high/low score competition.

The idea behind both is that there is something to play for every week even if you're out of the hunt. Rewards for each are flexible of course depending on how "interesting" your leaguemates want it to be.

I have thought about doing this and might end up putting this in at some point. Thanks.

Lot of cool ideas here.

I am in five leagues, four of them have pretty close to standard rosters, all with 9 starting positions and at least 6 bench spots. The other league, I joined three years ago. It is a 14-team league with eight starting positions and only two bench spots. This forces all owners to make tough roster decisions each week. The league was started by guys who were tired of being in leagues where the ww was always thin, and many of the teams in the league stood pat most of the time, and there wasn't enough strategy on a week-to-week basis.

Everyone I ever tell about this league feels that only two bench spots is too drastic. There are even owners within the league that feel this way, but we have voted to add one more bench spot in each of the last three years, and it gets voted down every time.

I have to admit, this is the league that I spend the most time on, enjoy the most, and want to win the worst, even though the purses are similar. I will remain in this league above any of the others that I am in. Other owners in this league tell me the same thing. As an owner, It is definitely the most challenging. If you want to draft your team and then sit back and relax, this is not the league for you.

Even if you feel that two bench spots is too drastic, going with fewer definitely makes the league more fun, IMO. And I love the idea of blind ww bidding, I'm going to suggest it for this league.

I think your right. We went from 12 teams last year too 16 this year. I pushed for it and brought it in. Not everyone was for it. But it's worked out very well. But now I have to tweak, and I think lowering the number on the benches is a great idea. I think we have too many now it the waivers are thin. I really want to bring in the blind bidding for waivers next year. That's a great idea too. Out League is based out of 3 countries. 60% out of Canada, 20% from the US and 20% out of Australia. Even though guys don't all know each other. I try everything to keep guys talking or going on to our site. I designed a great league site and even have my own articles that come out once or twice a week. Along with Videos on the site. Anything to keep guys going back on there, chatting and going on waivers.

Great advice here guys. Now I'm thinking of trying to come up with some type of trophy for winners. Was thinking of some cool (low price) football beer glass engraved with League and team name. Anyone know where I could find some good ones?

new toilet seat (19.99-24.99) for the "king of the crapper" (last placed team)

Ya, I would love that. And I might. Just have to watch costs. I do most of the spending and then try to get money back slowly. I don't mind putting money into our league, as long as I'm having fun. But with shipping costs to other countries. It becomes a bit much. But I would like to look into that. Or a horses ass???

Our League Logo that I made up is Archie Bunker from All in the Family. Wonder if there would be a way of making a trophy like that?

Your league is international? Do they even know what a toilet seat is? :wacko:

Where in Texas are you? Heading down to Texas for some training coarse on monday. Going to see a Texas A&M game while I"m there. As Internationals as you call us. We watch all sorts of football and go to at least 3 NFL games a season. (CFL and Aussie rules) Believe me...we know our football .... all football . lol

Guess when it comes to the awards... I'll have to keep looking. I'm wondering if I shouldn't find football beer glasses and engrave them, or a trophy and suck the costs of shipping and engraving. A beer mug might be cheaper.

About ideas. We have money give away each week for the guy that picks the most games right each week. I just like to keep looking for more and I thank you guys all the good advice.

Make it an auction....auctions are twice the fun as a snake and really tests your knowledge not just blind luck where someone can get the first pick and take AP, instead everyone has a shot at every player.

Ya , thought about that. We do have a 3 keeper league right now though. But that doesn't stop us from still implementing it. I'll look into it. At the moment though, to keep guys interested and competing till the end of the real season. We have a second playoff we call the Benchwarmer playoffs. Bottom 8 go into there. And the better you do in there, the better draft pick you get in 2012. You win it, you win money and top draft pick.