[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Deer Takes Down Hunter

xcellu8

I think the biggest issue I have with hunting is that many hunters don't hunt at all. Rather they drive up to their stand in SUVs / ATVs, bait the ground, park their lard asses in a tree and shoot the animal from thirty yards when it shows up, drawn by the bait.

That has as much relation to hunting as laser tag has to soldiering. There's no effort, no skill, no marksmanship, nothing. This Minnesota deer opener, four of these buffoons died, either by shooting themselves or falling out of deer stands. Reminded me of the Monty Python skit "Upper Class Twit Of The Year".

I have no issue at all with the guy who goes hunting, tracks the deer without bait and dispatches it cleanly, then utilizes the animal for food, etc.

There's no doubt the herds have to be managed, I guess, but to dignify sitting on one's fat ass with a high powered rifle and scope with the term "hunting" is flat wrong, IMO, as is the term "harvesting", which is just ridiculous.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest issue I have with hunting is that many hunters don't hunt at all. Rather they drive up to their stand in SUVs / ATVs, bait the ground, park their lard asses in a tree and shoot the animal from thirty yards when it shows up, drawn by the bait.

That has as much relation to hunting as laser tag has to soldiering. There's no effort, no skill, no marksmanship, nothing. This Minnesota deer opener, four of these buffoons died, either by shooting themselves or falling out of deer stands. Reminded me of the Monty Python skit "Upper Class Twit Of The Year".

I have no issue at all with the guy who goes hunting, tracks the deer without bait and dispatches it cleanly, then utilizes the animal for food, etc.

There's no doubt the herds have to be managed, I guess, but to dignify sitting on one's fat ass with a high powered rifle and scope with the term "hunting" is flat wrong, IMO, as is the term "harvesting", which is just ridiculous.

I totally agree.

That is why I only hunt in a loincloth and a sharpened stick.

I still feel guilty about using the sharpened stick, casue that too would be cheating. The only true way is with my bare hands.

Now I feel guilty.

Pretty much where I was going....using the term "noble", and to iterate that they are doing it in "an act of humanity".... :wacko:

:tup:

You do realize that any hunter worth a salt does everything they can to not simply wound the animal, beyond just minimizing the suffering, they'll run far away to where you'll never track them down if you do that, and end up becoming a coyote or hog's lunch.... For many reasons, the goal is for a quick kill, that yes I would say is far more humane than letting them starve to death.

Let me ask, are you a vegetarian, because the difference between hunting and the grocery store is like comparing murder to genocide, if you want to look at it that way... Amazing how ignorant people can act about hunting and food, yet call those in the country the ignorant ones. We all came from a long line of hunters and gatherers who did so to survive, so give the holier than thou stuff a rest... Living off the land while conserving and preserving it and it's species is something that people should take pride in, rather than feeling like you're better because you buy from the market...

You're never going to convince the anti's :lol: When these idiots plow one with their suv or mercedes they just see it as unfortunate. They will never see the big picture.

:wacko:

You're never going to convince the anti's :tup: When these idiots plow one with their suv or mercedes they just see it as unfortunate. They will never see the big picture.

:wacko:

These are usually the same one's that bitch and moan about the deer eating their trees and flowers!

I totally agree.

That is why I only hunt in a loincloth and a sharpened stick.

I still feel guilty about using the sharpened stick, casue that too would be cheating. The only true way is with my bare hands.

Now I feel guilty.

I go at them like Jack Nicholson in the Movie Wolf. Seems only sporting.

I hunt and I also sit in a stand over an oat field or a feeder. Just depends on where I am and what I'm looking for. I eat what I kill, and thin the herd in over populated areas. In almost 30 years of hunting and "harvesting", I've only failed to retrieve one deer. I could tell you within 60 yards where that deer died, but it was on the wrong side of a fence. I'd rather eat venison than beef or chicken, and I can tell you all the deer I have killed lived and died better than the commercially raised cattle and poultry. For those that are opposed to hunters or "harvesters" all I can say is I hope you and your vehicle meet a deer in an over populated area, and survive it so that you can tell us how you feel about it after that.

ETA: The guy was a dumb ass, for not giving the deer enough time to expire, and for not having his gun at the ready.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

You know what this thread needs? A few more hunters to shout down the one idiot who doesn't get it.

I thought we could use a few more smokers to stick up for Taz, also... It didn't turn out too well.

You know what this thread needs? A few more hunters to shout down the one idiot who doesn't get it.

Pretty sure that's a reference to another thread somewhere but just in case it isn't, for clarification, I don't deny the right of people to go shooting deer. I do dispute the use of the term "hunter" to describe someone who sits in a stand and has the prey come to them through baiting. That is "shooting" - it is not hunting.

The use of the term "harvesting" is ridiculous. What's wrong with "killing"?

Pretty sure that's a reference to another thread somewhere but just in case it isn't, for clarification, I don't deny the right of people to go shooting deer. I do dispute the use of the term "hunter" to describe someone who sits in a stand and has the prey come to them through baiting. That is "shooting" - it is not hunting.

So when Nile crocodiles pretty much do the same thing, sit just beneath the water near a bank waiting for some poor Impala to come walking along for a cool drink of water and then BAM..., it isn't hunting?

1) Hunting under bait is not legal in most parts of the country (or at least it hasn't been. Obviously there were overpopulation issues this year in South GA, probably in part due to far less youth interest in hunting, because this year we were permitted to bait if we wanted to)... In Texas, where baiting is legal, it is just about impossible with all of the area to cover to do it without trucks or bait. However, in most places you still have to walk from some ways away in the dark to get to your stand, with bait not allowed to be visible from the stand. Normally it's only allowed hundreds of yards away to keep the deer in the area, not in the area of the stand, being illegal.

2) Should people be any more ashamed that technology has improved to where we don't have to throw spears or shoot recurve bows, than you are about having the luxury to go to the grocery store? People do still do things like bow-hunt because it's more challenging and gratifying, but you obviously don't see the skill that it takes to be a good hunter regardless... Yes, any idiot can wake up at 5am and go sit in a spot and hope a deer comes along, but good hunting requires patterning, setting up stands in the right spots (where bait can't be visible or close), and even calling during the rut (not to mention shooting a deer is much different than just shooting a target)... And if we were talking about Turkey hunting, it would only be even more skill involved.

Moreover, both you and Swammi seemed to jump all over the idea that some think it's more "noble". No one has said it's completely noble in itself, but it's still worlds more challenging and gratifying than buying your assembly line chickens from a grocery store....

Finally, hunters use terms like harvesting for 2 reasons... 1) because the goal is not to just go out there and kill stuff, but to "harvest" meat, and 2) because if they called it killing, people like you would only use it to knock what they're doing... It's not just killing, and not nearly as easy as you make it out to be, so I don't know why they'd simplify it down to those terms...

Well, FWIW, "harvesting" is a fine way to describe it if "hunting" is not to your liking. That's exactly what they're doing. Just like I sneak up on unsuspecting carrots and rip them out of the ground. And, again, we're talking about a species that is really over populated. So, sure, it's not a "fair" fight, but apparently it's fun, it yields delicious meat, and someone needs to thin the herd. So what's the big deal?

And this is from a guy who's gone hunting exactly one time, for boar, and we failed to bag one. Honestly, all I wanted was a big chunk of wild pig to cook, but I enjoyed the weekend and was certainly fired up about the adventure. Not enough, it seems to go back for more, but I'm certainly not going to dog a guy for doing it. Least of all, say "good for the deer" when some dude dies while hunting.

fwiw, baiting is illegal (always? usually? almost always? that part I am not sure of..) and often prosecuted severely.

fwiw, baiting is illegal (always? usually? almost always? that part I am not sure of..) and often prosecuted severely.

As I said above, it changed this for this year in South GA, and I assume it has something to do with a continual decline in interest from youth in hunting (they'd all rather sit inside and pretend to shoot Nazis on the xbox).

But the only state I've been to, and believe it's always legal state-wide is Texas, for obvious reasons (there's simply too much area to cover out there)...

(ETA: though hogs are a completely different story, and there is often not any of the same restrictions or even season restrictions, because hog overpopulation makes deer overpopulation look like a walk in the park. IIRC, they're even classified under "nuisance".)

Edited by delusions of granduer

As I said above, it changed this for this year in South GA, and I assume it has something to do with a continual decline in interest from youth in hunting (they'd all rather sit inside and pretend to shoot Nazis on the xbox).

But the only state I've been to, and believe it's always legal state-wide is Texas, for obvious reasons (there's simply too much area to cover out there)...

(ETA: though hogs are a completely different story, and there is often not any of the same restrictions or even season restrictions, because hog overpopulation makes deer overpopulation look like a walk in the park. IIRC, they're even classified under "nuisance".)

My wife's uncle married into a family in Valdosta that apparently owns one of the largest chunks of land east of the Mississippi. We're supposed to all meet down there for a boar hunt some time. Again, I really just want a huge chunk of wild pig to cook.

I don't think it's always legal anywhere, because I know specifically there are federal laws against it, at least in many forms.