[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fireplace inserts & flue questions

Chief Dick

OK, here's the deal. Our house is about 45 years old, and we recently had the chimney inspected. They say it needs some mortar replaced in the flue so we can build a safe fire. The flue is clay tile inside a brick chimney with mortared joints. They ran a camera down the thing and took some video. They say a couple mortar joints towards the bottom of the flue need to be filled in. Apparently they have a machine that can do this. This fireplace has never had a wood fire built in it. Anyway, they want a large sum of money to do this. More than I would have expected.

They also are giving me a price for an insert, which I know are more energy efficient. The question is:

1. Has anyone ever had to re-mortar a part of their chimney, and what did you pay?

2. Has anyone ever bought an insert, and what should I expect to pay? I know they'll also have to do a different flue here as well, but I figure it's just part of the cost.

Any experiences out there?

OK, here's the deal. Our house is about 45 years old, and we recently had the chimney inspected. They say it needs some mortar replaced in the flue so we can build a safe fire. The flue is clay tile inside a brick chimney with mortared joints. They ran a camera down the thing and took some video. They say a couple mortar joints towards the bottom of the flue need to be filled in. Apparently they have a machine that can do this. This fireplace has never had a wood fire built in it. Anyway, they want a large sum of money to do this. More than I would have expected.

They also are giving me a price for an insert, which I know are more energy efficient. The question is:

1. Has anyone ever had to re-mortar a part of their chimney, and what did you pay?

2. Has anyone ever bought an insert, and what should I expect to pay? I know they'll also have to do a different flue here as well, but I figure it's just part of the cost.

Any experiences out there?

how big is the flue? if it is a big one you can run double walled sleeves down the chimney when and if you go to the insert.

I should have asked first.... wood or gas insert?

how big is the flue? if it is a big one you can run double walled sleeves down the chimney when and if you go to the insert.

I should have asked first.... wood or gas insert?

C'mon man. I drink Busch Light. Wood.

According to the fireplace company, my flue is big enough to run pipe for the insert.

C'mon man. I drink Busch Light. Wood.

According to the fireplace company, my flue is big enough to run pipe for the insert.

then you don not need to fix the old clay liner. just run some good double walled pipe down( that shart is expensive also). as for inserts i have a Osburn, they are a Canadian company... i love it. i have had to replace the fan one time in 11 years( it runs all winter long). Friends have other inserts but the ones that like theirs all seem to come from Canada.

Look for thick steal , good welding etc.

then you don not need to fix the old clay liner. just run some good double walled pipe down( that shart is expensive also). as for inserts i have a Osburn, they are a Canadian company... i love it. i have had to replace the fan one time in 11 years( it runs all winter long). Friends have other inserts but the ones that like theirs all seem to come from Canada.

Look for thick steal , good welding etc.

What am I looking at? Couple grand?