[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If you like heavy music

cliaz

Ive heard some of their stuff. Female vocals are hard for me to get past in the metal genre. Check out Opeth. A lot darker, and while some of their stuff is a bit overboard even for me, some stuff is pure genius.

All six slots in my CD player are loaded with Opeth. Been that way for about four years. Pure genius is right. If you haven't seen them in concert, I suggest you make an effort to do so. Akerfeldt is a witch.

While I like the new disc (Heritage), it hasn't really grabbed me yet like Watershed and Ghost Reveries did. Absolutely unbelievable songwriters and musicians.

All six slots in my CD player are loaded with Opeth. Been that way for about four years. Pure genius is right. If you haven't seen them in concert, I suggest you make an effort to do so. Akerfeldt is a witch.

While I like the new disc (Heritage), it hasn't really grabbed me yet like Watershed and Ghost Reveries did. Absolutely unbelievable songwriters and musicians.

The 2 albums you mentioned are head and shoulders my favorites. The new one doesnt do much for me as it is a complete turn from the norm for them. They were just here in October, but I couldnt get over to Orlando (75 miles away from me). They only seem to tour here every other year or so, so I will definitely make it a point to see them next time.

Blackwater Park is another good one. The list of songs goes on and on...

Glad to see someone else with the same taste in music as me. :wacko:

The 2 albums you mentioned are head and shoulders my favorites. The new one doesnt do much for me as it is a complete turn from the norm for them. They were just here in October, but I couldnt get over to Orlando (75 miles away from me). They only seem to tour here every other year or so, so I will definitely make it a point to see them next time.

Blackwater Park is another good one. The list of songs goes on and on...

Glad to see someone else with the same taste in music as me. :wacko:

If you don't have them, you need Damnation and Still Life. All the albums are good, but those four stand out.

If you don't have them, you need Damnation and Still Life. All the albums are good, but those four stand out.

I have Still Life. It's excellent, marred only by the occasional dip into the ridiculous "growling" vocals. Was mulling over which one to get next (ideally with no growling).

I have Still Life. It's excellent, marred only by the occasional dip into the ridiculous "growling" vocals. Was mulling over which one to get next (ideally with no growling).

:wacko:

Absolutely the last person here that I would expect....wow. You will most definitely be spared when I take over the world now.

Ive heard some of their stuff. Female vocals are hard for me to get past in the metal genre. Check out Opeth. A lot darker, and while some of their stuff is a bit overboard even for me, some stuff is pure genius.

I used to be that way but Otep & Craddle of Filth changed that. Well, it actually started back in the old Drain STH days.

Damnation is the disc for you. Haunting, brooding, dark and brilliant without the death metal stuff. Heritage also has no growling vocals and flirts with a combination of acid rock and art jazz that only Akerfeldt could come up with. Tributes on Heritage to Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie Blackmore, probably some others I haven't figured out yet.

Opeth albums usually grow on me, as it took Watershed about two years to fully sink in.

Edited by Redfish

I used to be that way but Otep & Craddle of Filth changed that. Well, it actually started back in the old Drain STH days.

What about Lacuna Coil? I don't think their musical talent matches up with bands like Opeth, but that chick's voice makes ma pants tight.

What about Lacuna Coil? I don't think their musical talent matches up with bands like Opeth, but that chick's voice makes ma pants tight.

I was reading some reviews on Opeth yesterday and Lacuna Coil cropped up as one of two bands that are Opeth's equal in their field, the other being Porcupine Tree. I'm not familiar with Lacua Coil but I have several Porcupine Tree albums. Their guitarist and founder, Steven Wilson, is also Opeth's producer (and occasional member).

And Lacuna Coil and there are a couple more but they bleed down into the black metal genre in the indy realm.

Cristina makes my pants way tight. Get to see them with Megadave and Volbeat in a little over a month.

As for Lacuna Coil, they aren't particularly heavy. More like a mature version of Evanesence.

Edited by General Itals

• 1 month later...
Damnation is the disc for you. Haunting, brooding, dark and brilliant without the death metal stuff. Heritage also has no growling vocals and flirts with a combination of acid rock and art jazz that only Akerfeldt could come up with. Tributes on Heritage to Ronnie James Dio and Ritchie Blackmore, probably some others I haven't figured out yet.

Opeth albums usually grow on me, as it took Watershed about two years to fully sink in.

Okay, it's official: Heritage hs really grown on me. Several genres woven through the ten tracks, Acid jazz, Metal, Folk. Fantastic guitar work and some new territory for Opeth. Some outstanding standup bass work and some wicked Ian Anderson-type metal flute. Really good album. And no growling vocals.

Okay, it's official: Heritage hs really grown on me. Several genres woven through the ten tracks, Acid jazz, Metal, Folk. Fantastic guitar work and some new territory for Opeth. Some outstanding standup bass work and some wicked Ian Anderson-type metal flute. Really good album. And no growling vocals.

You know, big fan, but Heritage still hasn't grown on me. I can put in on as background music, but there just isn't enough there there for me to get a dedicated listen out of it.

That said, you see the new tour lineup? Opeth, Mastodon and Ghost? 4/30 in Seattle. I am there.

You know, big fan, but Heritage still hasn't grown on me. I can put in on as background music, but there just isn't enough there there for me to get a dedicated listen out of it.

That said, you see the new tour lineup? Opeth, Mastodon and Ghost? 4/30 in Seattle. I am there.

4/18 in OKC. Only Opeth and Mastodon. I am taking a group of about 20 undereducated high school musicians and friends.

Lay down in nap mode with Heritage on and listen to the musical transitions and think about who each song might be dedicated to. So many styles on one album. It's not the greatest thing they've ever done by far, but it is worthy of appreciation.