[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mobile WiFi Hotspot for international Use

Big Country

Huddlers -

I'll be heading to England and Ireland in a couple weeks. I'm looking at options for a WiFi Hotspot device that I can bring with me that would allow me to connect a laptop and my Ipad at a minimum while travelling. I'm hoping to find something that does not require a contract but would provide me with ample data to send/receive emails (some with attachments in the 5-7MB range). I'm not too interested in being able to stream videos, etc., but it would be nice at times since we are travelling with the kids.

I've tried searching and found that Virgin Mobile seems to offer a no contract MiFi, and also found a company called xcomglobal that seems to do short term mifi rentals, but the cost of $15/day seems a bit higher than going with one of the larger carriers, although I am assuming with the larger carriers I would have to buy the device.

Do any of you have any experience with this, and if so, what do you reccomend?

I could also pony up for an international data plan for the IPad, but this doesn't solve my need to connect with the laptop.

The Virgin mobile device is cool. If it works over there its definitely what I'd go with. You can get them at wally mart for $120 and 50 a month.

Looks like Virgin MIFI is the USA and Canada are 2 totally separate, incompatible technologies. Looks like you have to purchase the Virgin MIFI in Canada. Most likely the same thing applies to Europe.

Kind of off-topic, but sometimes people complete forget that the UK's electrical current is different than the US, and requires a different adapter to charge.

Just checking if u knew that :wacko:

I am extremely aware of that (have family there, so have gone back enough times to know and have several adapters). Maybe this time I'll bring an adapter that I connect to a surge protector so I don't need separate adapters for each device.