[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stomach Bug this past weekend

cliaz

Good lord, screw going to the gym - just catch this latest stomach bug going around and you'll be right as rain come bathing suit weather. My kids caught it last thursday and they had some puke and grandpa's side step but not too bad. Then my wife came down with it Friday night and it hit her like a freight train. She sat up all night long in bed with a small trash can between her legs and kept throwing up every 20 minutes or so. So I stayed up all through the night making sure she was okay and checking on the kids and come 7am Saturday morning it hit me all at once. No fever at all, just started throwing up and did so every 20 to 30 minutes. It got to the point where I couldn't stand the dry heaves and would drink as much water as I could just to have something in me to come out. That lasted through Sunday afternoon and just stopped. I feel like I did 900 crunches. What the hell was this?

Viruses. I HATE viruses!!

Riddle me this, Doc. What is the biological purpose of a person vomiting when they have a stomach virus? I've never really understood the purpose. I mean, I know why we vomit if we drink too much but just don't fully understand it with a virus like we had.

Riddle me this, Doc. What is the biological purpose of a person vomiting when they have a stomach virus? I've never really understood the purpose. I mean, I know why we vomit if we drink too much but just don't fully understand it with a virus like we had.

My guess is the body is under attack by something, and it is doing everything it can to get it out. That is my not so professional opinion (assumption).

My guess is the body is under attack by something, and it is doing everything it can to get it out.

Exactly. Vomiting is caused by the inflammatory response to the stomach virus. It expels the virus from the stomach and limits the duration of vomiting. The same inflammatory response in the colon causes diarrhea which expels the virus and eventually stops the diarrhea.

• Like 1