[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

computer question

Dr. Sacrebleu

Hi all,

my MAcbook is 6 years old, and slow and the disk is full (of what I do not know?). It is time to get a new computer.

I wanted to get the new imac, but at 1400$ it is just too expensive for me.

I am almost computer illiterate, and have an iphone, and my whole cd library (9000 songs) on itune, so I thought i would stay with mac, but the price tag is just too dear right now.

So I was thinking of either getting a laptop or a desktop (which I gather you get more of a bang for your buck) and totally reboot my old macbook to use when I travel.

I really only use the computer for internet, for pictures (about 12000 pics and 500 videos) and to store my music (9000 songs). I just want something totally hastle free that will last for a while. Is that so much to ask for.

What is your advice in regards to desktop vs laptop, and should I get an external hard drive to boot.

Looking to spend considerably less than 1200$.

Thanks for the advice

Macs are generally way more expensive than a PC, even a laptop. You should be able to get a very nice machine for $600-800.

Your iPhone and iTunes will both work with a PC (don't have an iPhone myself but know others that do who use them with PC).

Sadly there is no such thing as a totally hassle free computer, they all have the potential to be a massive headache. But if you stay on top of updates, and run some decent anti virus/malware programs you should be ok.

I've been happy with products from HP, Toshiba, and Dell, but most of the current computers today are pretty good and made from basically the same components.

Desktop systems really seem to be getting phased out, other than in business I don't see them much, more and more laptops are sold. Not sure what suits your need, but compare machines and their features to see if you really do get more for your $$ with a desktop. As far as an external hard drive, they are great for backups or additional storage. They are relatively cheap ($100 for a decent one) and easy to use.

wait a few months for the bugs to get out of Windows 8 (new microsoft operating system)

get a laptop/pc that has windows 8 already installed. Do not go with the free upgrade to windows 8. If you do a restore later in life. It can be a hassel with the upgrade vs already installed.

The new tread will be touchscreen pc and laptops that will convert to tablets. Screens will disconnent from keyboards and you take it with you. Its going to be buggy and expensive at first.

I have never owned a mac or a apple product so converting over may be tough. But once you do.

you will save major bucks.

Yep, no need for most to have a desktop anymore, not even for most business. I think a lot of laptops have enough power now to handle even the programs I used to need a desktop to run, but I just keep mine so I can upgrade the hardware myself every few years, something most people won't be doing.

The new laptop-tablet combos look really nice, because it is nice to have that option to tuck away the keyboard, and turn it longways to read books, surf the web, check scores and stats, etc... However, a quick search showed that the first runs of those are still around $1500 unless you can find a great deal (unlikely since they're still new).

If you don't care about it being super-slim, then you can find some smoking deals (and probably can find some nice ones even if so for under $1000. Check out slickdeals.net and go to the computer section. Just at first glance I saw this one for just ~$230 that looks capable to do everything you could possibly want it to do. It seems like laptop capabilities are currently well ahead of the capabilities that most people need them for.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about specs, but honestly, for what you need it for, I'd just look for the best price for a laptop that looks like it's the right size for what you need it for.

wait a few months for the bugs to get out of Windows 8 (new microsoft operating system)

get a laptop/pc that has windows 8 already installed. Do not go with the free upgrade to windows 8. If you do a restore later in life. It can be a hassel with the upgrade vs already installed.

The new tread will be touchscreen pc and laptops that will convert to tablets. Screens will disconnent from keyboards and you take it with you. Its going to be buggy and expensive at first.

I have never owned a mac or a apple product so converting over may be tough. But once you do.

you will save major bucks.

Meh, I wouldn't go through the trouble of holding off for windows 8, especially until we're absolutely sure they've got the bugs out and it's actually worth it over Windows 7, which I've actually been very pleased with... I actually just stuck with Windows XP for years until I found out that Windows 7 was worth it, and I'd recommend the same here. Just save your application disks (or the place you downloaded them) and back up your files when you do, and you can buy a copy of windows 8 for $100 when you're ready.