[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spiller vs fjax

Joebirds55

Unless FJAX is completely out - he'll get more carries than he should.

Even if FJAX is out - they'll still give TChoice the goal line carries and then settle for field goals rather than let Spiller touch it inside the 20.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong at that second point - haven't watched the Bills enough to really know that - but from the bits of games I've seen it's a lot of moving between the 20's with Spiller - then sit him inside the 20 and stall.

For a coach who's known for being creative - it's baffling that they can't get their most explosive player involved in the redzone. He's not even on the field as a decoy.

Against Miami going with Choice twice and settling for field goals kept that game close when it shouldn't have been.

I know this "analysis" sounds like the rantings of a disgruntled Spiller owner - it is.

But that doesn't mean it's wrong - the Bills are 25th in redzone TD efficiency (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct - they probably lead for unnecessarily settling for field goals).

It would be nice if they gave their best player a shot inside the redzone -- of course, we're still waiting for him to get the majority of carries.

I know they won today - but you can't call the season a success.

Spiller has 6.7 yds/rush

FJAX has 3.9

Spiller has lost 2 fumbles. FJAX has lost 3.

FJAX had 11 more carries this week.

When does "trusting the vet" in this situation finally move into "poor coaching". I know I'm probably looking at this from more of a ff perspective than real-world --- but at this point it just looks wrong in any world.

I think FJAX is a solid player - but he's no longer good enough that he should be taking that many touches from Spiller.

Edited by Grogansghost

They are on the field together a fair bit.

But do they use that grouping in the redzone? It seems like they don't use Spiller much down there. Or maybe he's actually used more in the redzone than I realize - I couldn't find where they list redzone carries at nfl.com.

I don't watch the Bills every week and the Miami game might be too fresh in my mind - so maybe I'm off base - but it feels like Spiller is under-utilized in general, but especially in the redzone.