[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tford's pre-combine mock draft

Tford

1) Kansas City Chiefs - Geno Smith QB WVU

I personally don't know if Smith is 1.01 worthy but I am banking on Andy Reid's track record from when he was with the Eagles where they took Donovan McNabb. Take over a franchise, draft a franchise QB. I'm not nearly as confident in this proclamation as I was about Cam Newton two years ago but I think that QB1 has a very real possibility of going 1.01 again.

2) Jacksonville Jaguars - Star Lotulelei DT Utah

Terrance Knighton is a free agent and Tyson Alualu has been underwhelming at best. The DT class hasn't been this strong in a long time and there's not many that can compete with Lotulelei on jacksonvilee's short list.

3) Oakland Raiders - Sharrif Floyd DT Florida

Floyd has the hype machine going early for him as many have him rocketing up their draft boards. I personally don't think he's better than Lotulelei but I do think he's top 5 worthy. Oakland may very well lose both starting DTs (Seymour voided contract and Kelly liable to be cut) so Floyd could be the perfect play here.

4) Philadelphia Eagles - Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M

I don't think I need to explain this one much. Jason Peters has struggled with health in each of the past two years. Demetrius Bell was a horrible FA signing and King Dunlap is a turnstile on good days. The Eagles need help at tackle and Joeckel is the best available this year.

5) Detroit Lions - DeMarcus Milliner CB Alabama

The Lions secondary was horrible last year. Between injuries and flat out poor play, the Lions were an opposing passer's dream on many occasions. Milliner isn't great value here but he's someone the Lions need and can start for them week 1.

6) Cleveland Browns - DaMontre Moore OLB Texas A&M

Cleveland is committed to return to a 3-4 defense this year and actually has a decent front 7 to do so with the exception of a bookend OLB opposite Jabaal Sheard. I think DaMontre Moore is the best edge rusher in the draft and at 6'4" 250 lb, he will be a big OLB but I think he will be an effective one.

7) Arizona Cardinals - Eric Fisher OT Central Michigan

The Cardinals will be thrilled to see Fisher slide to them. Levi Brown has not been the picture of health and the rest of the players that saw snaps at tackle for the Cardinals last year were laughed out of the building most nights. Fisher could start on the right side and shift to left if (when) Levi Brown gets hurt.

8) Buffalo Bills - Mike Glennon QB NC State

Glennon represents terrible value here but when to tip your hand as many times as GM Buddy Nix does regarding the draft, what choice do you have other than to reach? Nix has to be feeling the heat for his job and is likely to swing for a home run at the risk of striking out. He has said on multiple occasions how he is looking for a franchise QB in this draft. It could be a smokescreen but when it comes to Buffalo, usually where there's smoke, there's fire.

9) New York Jets - Bjoern Werner OLB Florida State

Werner will be a monster of an OLB at 6'4" 274 lbs but he's not much bigger than the guy he'd be replacing on 6'4" 260 lb Calvin Pace. The Jets are in cap hell right now and there's no way they can afford to pay a legitimate free agent pass rusher so Rex will look to the draft to get his edge rusher.

10) Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack OG Alabama

The Titans needs don't really line up with the talent available. With Milliner gone, no player in the secondary is worth this choice. Same thing at tight end. Chance Warmack represents the best value available to the Titans at a position they actually need an upgrade at. That being said, I fully expect Tennessee to trade down if presented with this scenario.

11) San Diego Chargers - Ezekiel Ansah OLB BYU

The Chargers need offensive tackle help but everybody here is a reach. In addition, I'm not sure that Jared Gaither is going to be cut given the healthy cap hit associated. Ansah represents great value at this point in the draft and could be a day one starter for the Bolts.

12) Miami Dolphins - Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee

Randy Starks may be on his way out if Miami cannot resign him so there's high potential of this pick going to the top DT. Similarly, Jake Long and the Dolhpins appear entrenched in a contract battle as well so DJ Fluker might be a play here as well. I see the Dolphins making a splash with Patterson. Brian Hartline is a free agent and reportedly, management is at odds with Davone Bess over a lack of desire shown last season. Patterson would be likely to line up opposite a top free agent wideout (likely Mike Wallace or Greg Jennings).

13) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Jonathan Banks CB Mississippi State

Has to be corner here. Just has to be. Tampa Bay moved Ronde Barber to free safety and traded out of the chance to draft Morris Claiborne to get Mark Barron. Now with Aqib Talib gone, the cupboard is bare in a division chock full of passing. Banks might be a reach here but Tampa doesn't care.

14) Carolina Panthers - Kenny Vaccaro S Texas

This might even be a bit higher than I'd be comfortable seeing Vaccaro go but Carolina needs help at safety. Haruki Nakamura was one of the worst starting safeties in the league last year and I'd be surprised if he still has a job in a couple months. Vaccaro is a day one starter if he goes to the Panthers.

15) New Orleans Saints - Jarvis Jones OLB Georgia

Jones is supremely talented and instantly gives credibility to a fledgling 3-4 defense that he has experience in. In addition, he has the flexibility to make an impact should the Saints hybridize or run some 4-3 looks. The rumors of a Jones' slide are music to New Orleans fans' ears.

16) St Louis Rams - DJ Fluker OT Alabama

The Rams are hungry for upgrades at WR but the WR class is deep this year and they have plenty of youth at WR already. Fluker provides an instant starter for Jeff Fisher and the Rams who need upgrades on the offensive line.

I don't see Chance Wormak falling to the 1.10. I'd be surprised if he is not a top 5 pick. I'm really hoping for Erik Fisher to fall to the Chargers. I just can't see them taking a LB at this spot. I'll be disappointed if they do. Our OL is one of the worst in the NFL.

And isn't Ansah projected as a DE?

I'm in the infancy of my research for this year, but isn't Keenan Allen a better prospect than Patterson? Either way, I also think the Dolphins go WR.

Edited by tazinib1

10) Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack OG Alabama

The Titans needs don't really line up with the talent available. With Milliner gone, no player in the secondary is worth this choice. Same thing at tight end. Chance Warmack represents the best value available to the Titans at a position they actually need an upgrade at. That being said, I fully expect Tennessee to trade down if presented with this scenario.

If the Titans drafted Warmack I would be a very happy fan. However, I question your thoughts on the pick. The Titans' top two needs are interior offensive line (all 3 spots) and defensive end. Nothing else really comes close - safety was a close third until they signed Wilson but has dropped down a bit (still fairly high though). Tight end? Cook isn't going anywhere (they'll tag him if necessary), Stevens is a great blocker and underrated receiver, and they really like Thompson. I'd be surprised if they took a tight end at any point in the draft. I'd also be surprised if they took a corner in the early rounds unless they planned to move him to safety. If they take one it'll likely be a later development pick.

That being said, I wasn't expecting a wide receiver in the first round last year either, so take it for what it is.