[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need Fantasy Advice, what position to pick first, QB, RB or WR?

gmenchaca

Hi, I'm in a really weird 12 person league, point system breakdown is below. My only question is, what is more important to pick first in my league, what has more value, qb's, or rb's or wr's. Please let me know what I should focus on drafting first. I really apprecaite your help!!

Starting Roster Positions & Roster Limits

• Quarterback: 1

• Running Back: 2

• Wide Receiver: 2

• Tight End: 1

• Kicker: 1

• Defensive Team: 1

• Running Back / Wide Receiver / Tight End: 1

• Passing Yards: 1pt per 25 yards

1 point per 25 yards
  • Passing Touchdowns: 3 pts

3 points
  • Interceptions Thrown: -1 pt

• 300-399 Passing Yards Bonus: 4 pts

• 400+ Passing Yards Bonus: 5 pts

5 points
  • 40+ Passing Yard TD Bonus:1 pt

1 point
  • 50+ Passing Yards TD Bonus: 2 pt

2 points
  • Rushing Yards: 1 pt per 10 yards

1 point per 10 yards
  • Rushing Touchdowns: 3 pts

3 points
  • 40+ Rushing Yard TD Bonus: 2pts

2 points
  • 50+ Rushing Yard TD Bonus: 3pts

3 points
  • 100-199 Rushing Yards Bonus: 2 pts

2 points
  • 200 + Rushing Yards Bonus: 3 pts

200+ Rushing Yards Bonus 3
  • Receiving Yards: 1 pt per 10 yards

1 point per 10 yards
  • Receiving Touchdowns: 3 pts

3 points
  • 40+ Receiving Yard TD Bonus: 1pt

1 point
  • 50+ Receiving Yard TD Bonus: 2 pts

2 points
  • 100-199 Receiving Yards Bonus: 2 pts

2 points
  • 200+ Receiving Yards Bonus: 3 pts

3 points
  • Kickoff and Punt Return Touchdowns: 4 pts

4 points
  • Fumbles Lost: -1

-1 point-1
  • 2-Point Conversions: 1 pt

Edited by gmenchaca

Interesting rules lol...well i'd say your league favors receivers a bit more than others. Seeing as that is the case, I would probably be ok with drafting Calvin Johnson in the first...I mean he could be a HUGE factor for you at 1 point every 10 yards for receiving. We are talking big numbers and if he gets more TDs this year, which I think he will, then he will be a BEAST! Keep in mind he is the ONLY WR I would take in the first if I were in your league. IF you draft Calvin though, you will need to get your two rbs in round 2 and 3 for sure...I wouldn't wait any longer than that. In the 4th, there will still be plenty of good wrs to choose from. In the fith, I'd probably take the best receiver or running back that is available. QBs are a dime a dozen this year, so you can get one later after filling in your RBs, WRs and FLEX. I would like to help you more but not sure how many teams were talking, so I can't get into more detail. Hope that helped some!

Edited by helmeto
  • Like 1

QB's will be more valuable than they normally would because passing TD's score the same as rushing and receiving TD's. The long TD bonus scoring appears to try to even it out a little bit, but those are so rare that I doubt that it will. A QB that makes a lot of big plays will help your team a lot.

I would hope to draft in the middle of the order in this league and grab a good RB like maybe Spiller in the 1st and then grab either Rogers or Brees in the 2nd. I would say that homerun type RB's like Spiller, Charles, and CJ should get a bump in this format.

I would also load up on boom or bust WR's in later rounds. Guys like Lance Moore, Desean Jackson, and Mike Wallace.

• Like 1

It looks like a bonus league where instead of giving points for basic activity, the league gives higher bonuses for "supernormal" activity. I disagree with the fact that WR's are more valuable because there is no PPR. RB and WR scoring looks about the same to me.

The fact that Pasing TD's are equal to Rush/Rec TDs makes QBs more valuable. I would go for

1. QBs that have a throw first philosophy.

I'm talking about drafting Rodgers or Brees, then drafting a backup with Alex Smith (because he has Andy Reid). A choice of Cam Newton would be a horrible selection.

2. Deep Threat WRs that have a chance any game to get 100 yards in one throw but might have down games as well. This will be more valuable than a consistent WR or a slot receiver like Victor Cruz.

3. RBs, same general thing as WRs. Looking for RBs that could blow up any second and take off for a 70 yard run. CJ Spiller comes to mind.

What you do not want - TD Happy WRs (Ex: James Jones), 3rd Down Backs or Backs in systems that are used more in Redzone (Stevan Ridley)

Hope this helps.

Edited by Wiseman155
  • Like 1

The QB scoring is no different than if they scored 6 point TDs in a standard scoring league. Generally speaking, bonus scoring has minimal impact on overall value (unless it was hugh bonus points, such as the league I was once in were TD scoring graduated from 5 to 20 points based on length).

You don't say how many teams are in the league, but, with the lack of PPR and only 2 required WRs, they will be devalued as a whole. You only need 1 QB, so as usual they are slightly devalued, but QBs that don't throw a lot of INTs (like Rodgers and Brady) should be boosted in their rating compared to the more INT prone guys (like Brees). Not saying you drop Brees way down your ratings, just that the 3-1 ratio of TD to INT scoring in this league hurts Brees and helps Rodgers/Brady.

RBs will be at a premium, but, beyond the few elite backs, focus on the yardage backs in RBBC, not the TD vultures. The scoring is heavily skewed towards yardage type backs.

• Like 1