[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Redskins' name change whine (again)

BeeR

All the issues in the world and this is what so many decide to care about? A name. Something can't can't actually reach out and hurt anyone. Something that has been there forever. This is definitely an "American" problem.

It is an opportunity for politicians to 'take a stand' on an issue that won't piss off donors.

They won't touch the real issues that could actually impact our security, quality of life, or law and justice because that is politically risky.

It's also pretty well-documented that Marshall was a blatant racist. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he picked a name with racist connotations and didn't think twice about it.

Racist....and clueless. I recall hearing that when Washington acquired Bobby Mitchell as its first black player, GPM had a big welcoming ceremony at the airport; Mitchell stepped out of the plane, and the band struck up "Dixie."

It is an opportunity for politicians to 'take a stand' on an issue that won't piss off donors.

They won't touch the real issues that could actually impact our security, quality of life, or law and justice because that is politically risky.

One could say the same thing about all the furor over whether or not "under god" is in the pledge.

• 1 month later...

Had the opportunity to meet Joe Theismann this week. He was a guest speaker at a conference I attended. He was asked if he thought the Redskins should change their team name.

His take was that he has spoken personally with many of the natives about this and by in large, over 95% have absolutely no problem with the team name. In fact, one of the local tribes actually has a HS team named the "Redskins".

I know it's an old story, but I thought his take was interesting having heard it personally.

They have to change the name. Had Snyder not been a total chalupa, he could have changed it to like the Apache's or something and kept the logo, branding etc. Instead it's going to be a lot worse, for both sides. I don't think you can call it whining if you aren't native, and even then, you can't tell others how to feel.

I hate the Blackhawks comparison, because it's totally different. It's like if you had a team called the Mongols, and a team called the Chinks; one is an homage, the other is blatantly racist. And the tradition argument is bs too, because lots of traditions have changed, like slavery, residential schools, segregation, etc. I think those changes were good, no? Stoning people to death for religious infractions is as old a tradition as any.

I hate when people are too PC. I love a good shocking joke, stereotypes can be an excellent source of comedy, I'm not some whiny, male feminist vegan putz. I think that we all need to laugh at ourselves more, instead of making a big stink. On this issue however, there is a clear right and wrong, and if you are arguing against a name change, you are wrong. I urge you to go back and re think why you are opposed to it. It's a cool ass logo, but really, if it was another similar slur you weren't used to, how would you feel about it?

Edit: lol it changed @55hole to mister

Edited by 3downleague

I don't like grandstanding at all guys, I'm not trying to do that. I really feel that this is an issue.

I don't buy the 95% don't care stuff, and even then, lots of younger black people use the n word, and it's still not acceptable to use as branding or marketing, because many older black people take offense. I think as a white guy that's not my business, but I support their right to not have to see that word in advertising etc, just as much as I support others right to use it in art: movies, music, literature, etc. Even if it's got a hard "r" on the end, freedom of speech means we take the good with the bad.

This is a major brand using a discriminatory slur. Even if not all native people take offense, it is still unacceptable. This and chief Wahoo are really offensive to a lot of people. If you guys don't think it's a big deal, why is it such a big deal to just change it? There are bigger problems in the world, why are you getting in the way of this being fixed, so we can move on to more important things?

I think they should call them the "The Washington Blackish Skins", there's a TV show on ABC and everyone is ok with it? Our local High School team is the "Indians" , i just think the "Redskin" is just as general as "Indian" if the team was the Washington Whiteskins, would there be a debate?

I don't know. I agree there are bigger problems in the world by far, and I was against a name change a few years ago, but after seeing drunken yahoo slobs jeering at old women and children protesting the name, I flipped. They care enough to go there and petition so the next generation doesn't have to hear that, and I'm definitely not on the fat drunken slob's side, even if I'm well on my way to being one. There is so much pain and suffering in the native community, I see that a lot here in Canada, where our prison system and gang populations are mostly native. Every single native person I know (a lot, my high school was by the res) has dealt with the suicide of a friend or family member. All of them have had alcoholism affect them in some way. It's a matter of discriminating against a group that has not only had it as bad as anyone else, but has also been continually ignored. They don't have enough of a population to get any sort of representation, and yet you see massive groups traveling to the stadiums to have their voices heard. I guarantee you that if they change the name, none of you will have your lives negatively affected. Maybe you need a new jersey. You can probably sell the old one later to people who collect confederate flags. Can you guarantee that no one's life has been or will be affected by the name Redskins? Dan Snyder's poll doesn't convince me

Anyway I don't judge the other side of this argument, as I felt the same way, but I urge you to consider both sides again. It's tradition vs progression. Again, I'm not a granola eating male feminist, I don't get offended easily, and love dick jokes as much as the next guy. I'm usually a cold bast ard before a bleeding heart