[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yahoo Custom Scoring Setting

bdoach

I have been in the hunt for a custom league setting which maximizes the amount of skill and minimizes luck. I know that no matter the settings, luck is always going to be a significant factor. But, I would like to manipulate the settings as much as possible so that those will knowledge of the game and those who are skilled fantasy football players are given a competitive edge to those who rely solely on luck having little knowledge of the game.

I have seen several ideas while scouring the internet, but have yet to find one that has been proven over multiple years and more importantly one which is designed to use with Yahoo Fantasy Football.

Furthermore, I have a couple prerequisites that I will not consider substituting.

Here are the prerequisites:

12 person League

Standard Roster: 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1WR/TE/RB (Flex) K, and DST

Point Per Reception

IDP--Any 3 Defensive Players

Furthermore, I want to reward those players who play well. Those QB who have good completion ratio, RB who rush for 100+ yards, WR who have 100+. I believe those play makers are the reason teams win and lose and therefore should be more valuable. I also want to minimize those "touchdown hogs" those players who rush for 20 yards a game but score 2 TD, QB's with a poor completion ratios but throws multiple TD's in a game etc.

I want the IDP settings to be competitive but I do not want them to be exceptionally valuable. (I don't want them to be drafted over starting offensive roster positions)

If anyone has a custom scoring setting that they have been using for several years which coincides with the setting please post them or direct me to a website where I can find it.

• Like 1

I don't know as much about Yahoo as I do some of the other sites but (from what I have seen) you could add a yardage bonus for rushing/receiving to help distinguish a good game but I don't think Comp % would be an option. If anywhere can accommodate that, I'd bet on MFL.

As far as tilting things in the favor of the savy owners, I think that would be tough to do via scoring settings at this point. There is so much info out there for owners now that someone really doesn't need to know that much about football to build a good team. Over the course of time, those that do know football will likely do better and that tends to occur naturally. I think it would be difficult to really enhance it via the settings. My $0.02

In yahoo comp % is an option for both complete/incomplete passes. I want to make those QB's with higher completion rates more valuable than those who are constantly playing from behind and forced to pass. These QB's may throw a couple touchdowns but at the cost of both INT's and poor completion rates. In my opinion QB's who play well should be rewarded and considered more valuable than those who don't. Maybe what I am trying to do is impossible. But I figured I would give it a shot.

Edited by bdoach

I wouldn't say what you're trying to do is impossible, just don't know if it is practical or will have the desired affect. Tak awarding points by QB completion percentage. You're trying to minimize the benefit of having a QB on a bad NFL team that gets behind and throws a lot accumulating "garbage stats". Ok, say you can create scoring rules that do that, wouldn't all owners drafting just skew their picks towards the better options. HIstorical stats and projections can take that into account and the wealth of fantasy info (free and paid) available on the internet is going to make it possible for the less savvy owners to draft as needed.

I do think that trying to eliminate or greatly reduce the luck factor could be very difficult. There is a ton of luck involved in FF, so its always going to be a big part of the game.