[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is Darren Sproles now a rb1?

michaelredd9

Sproles has never had 100 carries in a year despite having a 5.0 career yards-per-carry average. Previous to this year, he had 10+ carries only 10 total times in a 10-year career. He has never had 10+ carries more than twice in any one year. In other words, he has never been given the chance to be a featured back. He is 33. The Eagles would love to make the playoffs. They aren't going to worry if Sproles is healthy for the playoffs.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3221/darren-sproles

Coach Doug Pederson said he will "evaluate in these next couple of days" whether to replace Ryan Mathews with Darren Sproles as the No. 1 running back.
You could argue it's already happened. "I can't say that 100 percent," Pederson said. "It's something we'll evaluate in these next couple of days and make that determination." Sproles has out-snapped Mathews by 113 offensive snaps on the year and played 62 plays to Mathews' eight on Sunday night against the Cowboys. Mathews has been a plodding fumble machine in limited carries, while Sproles has averaged 5.0 YPC and 10.3 yards per catch on the year. Mathews is steaming down the track as potential waiver wire fodder in the very near future. Oct 31 - 8:41 PM
Source: CSN Philly

Yea a lot of media outlets were saying the job is Sproles' now, but it was followed up by Pederson saying that Mathews is still the starter. I think it's one of those situations where they will split work and the trend continues in favor of Sproles, that it could eventually happen but not right now.

Can Sproles carry the load, I don't think so. Can he out gain and get more carries than Matthews I suppose. Recall an early season game (PIT wk3) where Barner was used a lot too, I cannot recall if Mathews got hurt that game. I get benching a guy over fumbling issue but if he is your best back how long can you keep him there.

Oh and in case you missed it Mathews apparently had some dental procedure earlier in the week seems that was the reason he was limited on Wednesday.

• Like 1