[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Andy "Red Rifle" Dalton

oG1KeNoBi

I don't know if Andy Dalton has an STD or is celibate, but he seems to get no love from anyone. After Rodgers, Brady, and Brees were gone before the 5th round, I knew I was wasn't taking a QB until I had to, with all the over-looked depth at the RB/WR range in the middle to late rounds.

Last year, QBs 6th-18th were separated by 34.72 points throughout the season. That's ONLY 2.17 ppg at the QB position. We play with a 1 starting QB format so I knew I could wait on one. I drafted Dalton in the 15th round at pick #172. We had 16 rounds total (start 1Qb 2Rb 3Wr 1Te 1flex 1k 1d/st & 6 bn). 

Dalton finished as QB 12 last year without much to work with. He seems to have the best (and healthiest) arsenal he's had in quite awhile. AJ Green, Tyler Eifert & Joe Mixon. + an underrated (not even being drafted) LaFell and an emerging 2nd year Wr (not even being drafted) in Boyd. Ross just suffered a minor setback with his injury but Dalton will have him later to add to his weaponry.

Where do you see Dalton's value? What kind of year do you think he'll have? Am I in trouble by having him as my starting (and only) QB? Curious to hear all thoughts...

Dalton was pretty mediocre in 2014 and 2015.  He finished 19th and 18th overall.  He did finish 7th highest scoring quarterback in 2013.  Last year he started out well.  In the first 8 weeks, he was the 7th highest scoring quarterback.  But after his bye, he was 16th highest scoring quarterback in weeks 10-17.  Losing AJ Green definitely hurt.  He does have the best arsenal of weapons this year that he has ever had.  Whereas Jeremy Hill was a poor receiver and poor pass blocker, Mixon will probably supplant Hill on early downs and be both good at receiving and pass blocking.  Potentially, the Bengals will always have a running back with great receiving skills on the field with Mixon and Bernard.  He looks primed for his best year ever as long as Green and Eifert stay healthy.  He probably is as good as the 8th to 12th highest drafted quarterbacks this year.  He is another reason not to draft a quarterback in a high or even middle round.  And I wouldn't worry about having him as your only quarterback.  Quarterback is so deep that there will always be some qb talent available on the waiver wire.  And people are going to drop their second quarterbacks after their starter has their bye.

• Like 1

To be fair, in 2015 he got hurt 5 passes in to his 13th game. Of the 12 games he played healthy, he had 3+ TDs (rushing & passing) in seven games. He threw over 300 yards four times. He had 28 total TDs and 6 INTs over those twelve games.

If you are willing to play the "if he played a full season" game, his numbers over 16 games would average to 4,200 yards 37 TDs and 8 INTs.

Edited by Bowman
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...